Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm sorry, but I'm screaming from the rooftops how friggin AWESOME it is to be posting this from my pre-tethered laptop. Just got it working!! It was a pain in the rear, cause I'm a noob, but OMG was it worth it! RAJA is the man!!!
    I couldn't agree more. I just did mine and too am screaming from rooftops. I haven't "needed" to use it yet but it's nice to know its there when the time comes.
    I was thinking of doing this myself...but am scurrd
    Pay the $10 for the version that requires NO rooting. It is well worth it.

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - My Tether turns your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!
  5.    #5  
    Yup. Did just that. No root here!
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - My Tether turns your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Yup. Did just that. No root here!
    Wow! Seriously??? All you have to do is install?
    the instructions are for vista. will it work with XP pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by smashclash View Post
    Worked with my 32-bit XP Pro laptop last night, then tethered it to my 64-bit Vista last nite.. nice neat solution.. granted I have a data card and router, but this is nice for those times when I don't have it with me.
    wait, this says it will turn the pre into a wireless router. i don't have a need for a router... what i would want is a modem. something that can connect my pc to the web. is that what this does it was just worded differently?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    wait, this says it will turn the pre into a wireless router. i don't have a need for a router... what i would want is a modem. something that can connect my pc to the web. is that what this does it was just worded differently?
    For all intents and purposes: modem = phone line, router = distribute high speed connection. So unless you want your Pre to hook up w/ Ma Bell to give you 28.8kbps, you do indeed want your Pre to act as as router, so you can connect to the web through your Pre (using your USB cable).
    The no-root version is not quite a simple click to install, but it is something most should be able to do in 15 or 20 minutes. You have to make sure some drivers are installed first. Note I could not get the install to work with my notebook, but it worked fine with the desktop, so try a different computer if there is a problem. Once installed, any computer can use it. The donation page comes up with a pre-suggested $10. It is well worth it.

Results are fantastic. I fired it up and instantly connected two computers over WiFi. In an area with a strong signal, download speed is amazing, often over 2Mb/s!

I just returned from a remote beachside location. Sprint signals ranged from no bars to 1 bar, but I could still tether and although slow, I could work --- and answer the old friend from 30 years ago on that just found me on Facebook.
    Last edited by tommyt26; 08/07/2009 at 10:25 AM.
    Smashclash - Mytether will allow you to have an internet connection 3 different ways: 1. WiFi, 2. Wired via USB, or 3. Bluetooth.

WiFi for me is the best. It sets up an AdHoc connection any computer can find and it is FAST. By default, it has encription turned on, but you can knock out the password and run it without encription. It does suck battery life, but you can plug in the USB cable with the 'Charge Only' option.

If you are thinking of using this as your only connection to the Internet, you could run into trouble with Sprint if you go over 5Gigs per month usage. That could add up really fast if you do movie downloads or spend time on sites like Hulu.com.
    Mytether: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post

I agree, pay the 10 bucks and be done. He just updated the version. I haven't used it really yet, but to test it out a few times here and there. Come my the 17th going on a road trip and bringing the laptop along for the ride.

***Very nice (think Borat!)***
    The root way is very simple if you follow this:
    Why in the world would anyone PAY for a tether application that practically SCREAMS at Palm "Please disable me!"?

I mean, it makes sense to do it when it's free, since if Palm finds a way to kill it you aren't out any money. But to pay money, even as little as $10.00 for something that Palm might just find a way to kill outright seems just foolish to me.

Oh, and then you are also tying your Paypal account and/or credit card to software which clearly violates your Sprint TOS. That is just an invitation to getting your account closed by Sprint. Not that simply using a Tether program isn't a risk of that in and of itself, but to PAY for the privilege of putting your account at risk?

Um, no.

I appreciate all the hard work done by the My Tether developers, but if they want to charge for it they need to get it approved through the App Catalog. Otherwise just make it free and stop asking people to pay to risk their account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    Why in the world would anyone PAY for a tether application that practically SCREAMS at Palm "Please disable me!"?

I mean, it makes sense to do it when it's free, since if Palm finds a way to kill it you aren't out any money. But to pay money, even as little as $10.00 for something that Palm might just find a way to kill outright seems just foolish to me.

Oh, and then you are also tying your Paypal account and/or credit card to software which clearly violates your Sprint TOS. That is just an invitation to getting your account closed by Sprint. Not that simply using a Tether program isn't a risk of that in and of itself, but to PAY for the privilege of putting your account at risk?

Um, no.

I appreciate all the hard work done by the My Tether developers, but if they want to charge for it they need to get it approved through the App Catalog. Otherwise just make it free and stop asking people to pay to risk their account.
    I'm glad someone else sees this from my perspective. So many people are quick to jump on the "throw my money away" bandwagon and patronize you for being "unwilling to support a struggling developer" through 'donations'.

First, any payment that is required to attain basic functionality that will never be release to the public for free is not a donation; a fee, a price, a cost, but not a donation. Which MyTether may be worth the price for some, but let's not dress Apples in Orange's clothing, a 'price' is just that , mkay? Secondly, forcing $10 on an app that is clearly and vehemently against the Sprint TOS is backwards. Perhaps the developer didn't consider the short life span of his product when he chose this revenue model, but I expect hacked tethering on Sprint's network to last about as long as it takes for the common-joe to find YouTube or BitTorrent.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcettison View Post
    I'm glad someone else sees this from my perspective. So many people are quick to jump on the "throw my money away" bandwagon and patronize you for being "unwilling to support a struggling developer" through 'donations'.

First, any payment that is required to attain basic functionality that will never be release to the public for free is not a donation; a fee, a price, a cost, but not a donation. Which MyTether may be worth the price for some, but let's not dress Apples in Orange's clothing, a 'price' is just that , mkay? Secondly, forcing $10 on an app that is clearly and vehemently against the Sprint TOS is backwards. Perhaps the developer didn't consider the short life span of his product when he chose this revenue model, but I expect hacked tethering on Sprint's network to last about as long as it takes for the common-joe to find YouTube or BitTorrent.
    Pdanet and similar have been out for years..for a cost. These apps aren't exactly approved by carriers either.

If Sprint and others really did have a problem, they would've said something or took some action by now. I take their inaction as a sign of approval..but don't use it too often.

Same with Palm and the Homebrew going on. Palm could easily come down hard on precentral but they also know this was going to happen.
    This also works on Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post

Um, no.

If they break I am sure that it can be fixed one way or another and the $10 I paid is still worth it. It's not like a one time deal. It's a lifetime deal pretty much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcettison View Post

Considering that "hacked tethering" has been around for years, on POS and WinMO, I wouldn't be too worried about a short life span for My Tether. There are both free workarounds and paid applications for both the old Palm OS and Windows Mobile.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast