Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Pay the $10 for the version that requires NO rooting. It is well worth it.

My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - My Tether turns your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router!
    just got it! well worth it..
    Are you saying that this program would allow me to be in a hotel room somewhere with my laptop and my Pre and avoid paying the hotel's exorbitant Wi-Fi fee to get my laptop on the net, simply by using a wireless Bluetooth or WiFI connection from my laptop to my Pre's 3G internet access?

This is news to me, because I thought previous attempts at tethering had only succeeded via USB cable. If this is true this is GREAT news for Pre owners!
    AT&T says no tethering to iPhone, Verizon says no to Blackberry Curve, yet these have very popular PdaNet apps - plus there is one for the Android. These carriers are much more active than Sprint at enforcing rules. Verizon hardly even has a phone that permits WiFi! There are other companies selling tethering apps too. So - have you heard of anyone getting shut down because they tethered?

$10 is a lot less than the $30 for PdaNet, I bought PdaNet for two phones, used it for years and loved it, and might buy it for the Pre when released if it has some features I don't have now. Last one was on Treo 755. Mytether is MUCH faster than anything I ever acheived with PdaNet.

If you abuse download limits, you should to get shut down. If carriers broadly open it up there will be many that cancel their ISP and try to save $$ having their phones supply all their internet needs. I think we may be heading that way in the future, but no network is ready for that volume yet. A G4 system is a lot less expensive than wiring cable or FIOS to every house!
    Mytether: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    Why in the world would anyone PAY for a tether application that practically SCREAMS at Palm "Please disable me!"?
    Palm ? I doubt with all the people bashing AT&T/Apple for disabling apps that palm would want that bad press too. If anything it would be sprint that would want it killed. This phone is open source, remember ?

I mean, it makes sense to do it when it's free, since if Palm finds a way to kill it you aren't out any money. But to pay money, even as little as $10.00 for something that Palm might just find a way to kill outright seems just foolish to me.
    Maybe, But I believe in paying someone for their hard work. Even if mytether was gone a month later I wouldnt feel bad only being out $10 for the ability to use tether for a month. Im sure the dev would have a fix quick if they tried to kill it. Palm and Sprint know that with open source a fix isnt hard to find !

Oh, and then you are also tying your Paypal account and/or credit card to software which clearly violates your Sprint TOS. That is just an invitation to getting your account closed by Sprint. Not that simply using a Tether program isn't a risk of that in and of itself, but to PAY for the privilege of putting your account at risk?

Um, no.
    Do you really think they will go through alot of troble to get his account information ? There is a thing called privacy laws that should prevent paypal from giving sprint any info without a subpoena(sp?).

I appreciate all the hard work done by the My Tether developers, but if they want to charge for it they need to get it approved through the App Catalog. Otherwise just make it free and stop asking people to pay to risk their account.
    Your on a site that supports homebrew. Appcatalog ? Thats still a few months away and there really is no reason to wait. You do know mytether is free right ?

BTW, I think as long as your not using CRAZY amounts of bandwith, sprint shouldnt notice your bandwith usage and not raise any red flags.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I'm still using the free rooted version of this software. I would make a $10 donation just for that(in fact I think I will after this post). This is a wonderful piece of software for those of us that need a data connection away from home a couple of times a month. But Sprint can track this and have been known to hit people with high bills if you go overboard. For the most part they don't care, they just don't want you wasting 20GB+/month on their towers. So, for those of you that are using this to torrent, or watch Youtube(which the app on the phone is great) please expect reprocussions from this down the road. Please don't mess it up for the rest of us by downloading a bootleg dvd every night on torrent sites, and then getting this somehow totally locked out!
    OK I am really fascinated with all this, and wanting to go ahead and try it.

My one question is in response to:

If you are thinking of using this as your only connection to the Internet, you could run into trouble with Sprint if you go over 5Gigs per month usage
    I thought having the Everything Data plan, gave us unlimited data?

What am I missing??

also, can someone tell me what all is involved that takes 20 minutes, to do the $10 no root tethering?

Thanks!

PS: JUST today got WebOS Quick Install, then File Coaster installed, so starting to get my feet wet with Homebrews. Probably will attempt to root Pre as well. I know enough linux to be dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by sYnOnYx View Post
    Maybe, But I believe in paying someone for their hard work. Even if mytether was gone a month later I wouldnt feel bad only being out $10 for the ability to use tether for a month. Im sure the dev would have a fix quick if they tried to kill it. Palm and Sprint know that with open source a fix isnt hard to find !
    I totally agree that 10 bucks is nothing for support of another, but if they wipe it in the next update, that would really suck and be a waste of money...

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I thought having the Everything Data plan, gave us unlimited data?

What am I missing??
    From Sprint's TOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint Data TOS Excerpt
    Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.
    I rooted my pre last night to get My Tether, and it worked great!
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

This post is via tether too!! YOoHoo!!!

Now about to test my speed
    ANd this post via bluetooth tether!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sprint Data TOS Excerpt
    Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

I STILL dont get it? isnt this part: 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise , covered by the fact that we PAY for an unlimited Data Plan?

This is from MY Plan on Sprint: Everything Data - Unlimited Night & Weekend Included - Unlimited KB included

I really want to DO this, but am not much for getting in trouble, or having my account cancelled..

Can anybody help shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
    OK While waiting for clarification re the data limits, I ran out of patience and went ahead and did IT!

This post is coming LIVE from FREE My Tether.

I used THIS step by step tutorial

How To Hack(Tether) Palm Pre into a WiFi Router! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

and found it really mostly easy. A few steps not totally documented, but eachd step did work, without issue.

So right now, my PRE is hooked to my laptop via USB/Charge, I am on the AoNet , unsecured for now.

Pretty cool,

BUT.. my speeds are pretty slow.

604/50, which is less than half of what I get with my aircard. I am evaluating this to use in place of the aircard when Im on the road, but with this speed Im not sure if its gonna be an acceptable replacement.

But none the less, pretty cool, and the whole rooting process as explained in the above instructions were far less confusing than some of the others I have looked over.

Now to go find another computer to see if I can actually get on the AoNet from another system

Oh, HERE is another question: (I may post this independently too) IF I have a Cradle Point router, that I normally use to plug in my air card so it can be shared, can I plug PRE into that as well, to use MyTether?

OK, off to find someones computer to "borrow"

Thanks for great instructions

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Oh, HERE is another question: (I may post this independently too) IF I have a Cradle Point router, that I normally use to plug in my air card so it can be shared, can I plug PRE into that as well, to use MyTether?
    The Cradle Point router just provides a Wifi network for other computers to share your aircard's connection, right? The Pre with MyTether can already do this by sharing its connection over Wifi.

Connect the Pre via USB or Bluetooth (one computer only) to duplicate the functionality of your air card. Connect to the Pre via Wifi (one ore more computeres) to duplicate the functionality of your AirCard + Cradle Point.

The slower speed using MyTether vs. your aircard is another matter. Were you perhaps using BlueTooth to connect? That will be slower than either USB or Wifi.
    just paid the $10, it was well worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by musk View Post
    The Cradle Point router just provides a Wifi network for other computers to share your aircard's connection, right? The Pre with MyTether can already do this by sharing its connection over Wifi.

Connect the Pre via USB or Bluetooth (one computer only) to duplicate the functionality of your air card. Connect to the Pre via Wifi (one ore more computeres) to duplicate the functionality of your AirCard + Cradle Point.

The slower speed using MyTether vs. your aircard is another matter. Were you perhaps using BlueTooth to connect? That will be slower than either USB or Wifi.
    NO, I did connect PRe via wifi.

As for the Cradle Pt, 2 things..

1. It has its own built in WEP security(eliminating the need to upgrade to the $10 MyTether)
    2. It can constantly be charging my Pre so I dont have to worry about battery issues

So far I cannot figure out USBnet, and my laptop does not have BT. When I travel Im alone, so the sharing and WEP is not at issue.

But when my Husband and I are at the beach house, we use my aircard/cradle pt, to share the connection.

Hmm maybe seeing a light go on here from something you said. Are you saying connecting ONE puter, via USB NET would give me "like an aircard" for just that one puter?
    If start up Mytether you instantly have a 3G wireless router that you can share with others; no USB involved. I may plug the pre into a USB port, but that is just to keep from running down the battery. WEP security is a plus, and can be turned on or off.

I think you will agree what you have in the free version is worth $10 to support the work of the developer. Aonic must spend many hours answering posts and debugging!

For many, this will not replace the need for an Aircard. Many need to be on the phone AND internet at the same time, something that CDMA does not allow.
    Tommyt26?

How and Where are you getting THIS kinda speed via a tether?

The BEST I have gotten via Tethered wifi is:

pretty low compared to yours, and downright dismal compared to my home HigSpeed Cable

Anyone w/ Windows 7 able to get a steady connection? Mine works good w/ Vista but w/ 7 I will only have a connection for about 30 seconds then it will drop, reconnect, drop, recon...
    Dianehelen -
    That speed was the best yet. I was in Manchester, NH with full bars. Speedtest.net suggested the Washington, DC server, I guess because it is closest to Sprint. Doing the same test a minute later on the server in Manchester, NH gave me about 2Mb/s. This is very acceptable speed for browsing and above T1 download speed (1.5Mb/s). It is also better than the WiFi I usually get at hotels (DSL speed - .07Mb/s). You are never going to see anything close to cable speed!

Try some different locations; you will find some very fast ones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast