Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My local Sprint store finally got a new shipment of Pre's in today so that I could exchange mine for having the discoloration when the phone gets hot. My previous Pre had a build date of 6/26 I believe, and for the most part I was happy with the overall build, but I wasn't happy with the screen discoloration.

I tried to exchange last week, but the only two that were in stock felt worse than mine so I decided to wait for the next shipment.

Went in today and he pulled out 4 of the brand new ones for me to check out before I made the switch. 3 out of the 4 had the larger gap on the left side and had more play in the slider than my current Pre, but luckily one felt at least as good, if not slightly better than my current, so I made the switch.

The build date on this one is 7/23, and the hardware feels good, but it has the same discoloration in the exact same spot as the last one.

Long story short, there's probably no such thing as a "perfect" Pre, but this one will be good enough. I'm tired of playing the exchange game.

I will say though that there is definitely some inconsistency in build, so if you feel like your slider has too much play, you might be able to get one with a tighter slider. I know that the one I got had a much tighter slider than the other 5 that I looked at. It still has some slight play, so don't think I'm telling you that I got one with no play. I don't think that's possible.
    My third (current) Pre has a build date of 7/13 and it is indeed perfect. No wobble, no light leakage, no discoloration.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    My third (current) Pre has a build date of 7/13 and it is indeed perfect. No wobble, no light leakage, no discoloration.
    There may be perfect ones out there, but I'd be willing to bet they're so hard to get that it's not worth expecting to.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Discoloration where? I have a few stuck pixels. Cant see them unless I use camera and darken the screen. Should I get a new one?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstarx View Post
    Discoloration where? I have a few stuck pixels. Cant see them unless I use camera and darken the screen. Should I get a new one?
    do a search on stuck pixels and discoloration and your questions will be answered.
    Last edited by SkinFlaps; 08/06/2009 at 09:29 PM.
    Same thing happened to me 3 with a gap clearly visible and the oreo effect and one felt the same as the I have. I didn't want to risk it so I'll wait for the next shipment. The warehouses need to be emptied of all the duds
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    My local Sprint store finally got a new shipment of Pre's in today so that I could exchange mine for having the discoloration when the phone gets hot. My previous Pre had a build date of 6/26 I believe, and for the most part I was happy with the overall build, but I wasn't happy with the screen discoloration.

I tried to exchange last week, but the only two that were in stock felt worse than mine so I decided to wait for the next shipment.

Went in today and he pulled out 4 of the brand new ones for me to check out before I made the switch. 3 out of the 4 had the larger gap on the left side and had more play in the slider than my current Pre, but luckily one felt at least as good, if not slightly better than my current, so I made the switch.

The build date on this one is 7/23, and the hardware feels good, but it has the same discoloration in the exact same spot as the last one.

Long story short, there's probably no such thing as a "perfect" Pre, but this one will be good enough. I'm tired of playing the exchange game.

I will say though that there is definitely some inconsistency in build, so if you feel like your slider has too much play, you might be able to get one with a tighter slider. I know that the one I got had a much tighter slider than the other 5 that I looked at. It still has some slight play, so don't think I'm telling you that I got one with no play. I don't think that's possible.
    Heck I haven't believed ANY of the hype surrounding the Pre. No need to get specific when it comes to warning about hype. Hype is, by my definition anyway, promises unkept when it gets right down to it. Kinda like Obama.
    "The warehouses need to be emptied of all the duds"

Wait till late next week. Employees can finally buy the phone on the 9th. That will eat up a few thousand of stock.
    Is your post intended to do anything other than incite a negative reaction? By trying to lump all Pre experiences into one seriously over generalized interpretation you are certainly not adding anything to any conversation. Why go out of your way to try to discount and discredit other forum members' experiences with your way-blown-out-of-reality post title?

Hate to bust your flaps, but my new Pre is indeed *PERFECT.* Not one single issue. NOT ONE. And I had a device with issues before this one, so I am speaking from experience. And I have been seeing many, many instances where other Pre owners are reporting perfect devices.

Thanks for adding NOTHING with your inflamatory over generalizations. Have a nice day
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Is your post intended to do anything other than incite a negative reaction? By trying to lump all Pre experiences into one seriously over generalized interpretation you are certainly not adding anything to any conversation. Why go out of your way to try to discount and discredit other forum members' experiences with your way-blown-out-of-reality post title?

Hate to bust your flaps, but my new Pre is indeed *PERFECT.* Not one single issue. NOT ONE. And I had a device with issues before this one, so I am speaking from experience. And I have been seeing many, many instances where other Pre owners are reporting perfect devices.

Thanks for adding NOTHING with your inflamatory over generalizations. Have a nice day

The first part of your post contradicts the second part.

Pot meet kettle.

To the OP, its a crap shoot just like at the start.
  11.    #11  

I am also speaking from experience.

I'm not trying to insight a negative reaction, I'm trying to qualm the endless posts about people constantly exchanging their Pre's in a quest for the perfect Pre.

I've had my hands on 10 Pre's, and NONE of them have been perfect. How many times are we supposed to exchange these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I am also speaking from experience.

I'm not trying to insight a negative reaction, I'm trying to qualm the endless posts about people constantly exchanging their Pre's in a quest for the perfect Pre.

I've had my hands on 10 Pre's, and NONE of them have been perfect. How many times are we supposed to exchange these things?
    You've exchanged 10 Pres? For the record, I too have "had my hands on" at least 10 Pres. However, I haven't had the same hyper-negative experience that you claim to have had. And your claim that you are "trying to qualm the endless posts about people constantly exchanging their Pre's (sp)" is HIGHLY suspect when coupled with the inflamatory title of your OP. "Qualm"? Really? It seems much more likely that you are trying to incite. P.S.: "insight" is something you gain from experience and contemplation.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Ive given up hope for this phone when it comes to build quality.

I've had what I thought was a perfect build for about 3 weeks. When I walked out of the store, it WAS perfect. However, slowly but surely it's developing an oreo. I notice my screen getting looser each day, after every slide. I blame it on poor slider mechanics, anyone who's looked under the battery knows what I'm talking about.

My 'gap' on the left side of the phone has almost doubled since i took it out of the box. The screen no longer fits correctly on top of the phone, i find myself putting it back into place every time i pick up the phone with a loud 'click'.

It's not like I'm abusing the device either. It's never been dropped or sat on, i just use it every day. My keyboard also isn't the same after just 3 weeks, It's gotten 'mushy', not much feedback when hitting the keys. not to mention is squeaks.

If i knew how, i would unlock my sidekick lx for sprint in a heartbeat and sell this river rock on craigslist.

it's sad that palm couldn't come up with something a little better for their revolutionary os, but enough complaining. I'm still getting calls, and i can still make them. Thats all that matters.... right?
    LOL - Coming from you, the OP of that balanced, non-fanboy thread titled Replacement Pre = AMAZING Build!!! you really don't have a leg to stand on complaining about this thread. Go start a pep club somewhere else.
  15.    #15  
    You've exchanged 10 Pres? For the record, I too have "had my hands on" at least 10 Pres. However, I haven't had the same hyper-negative experience that you claim to have had. And your claim that you are "trying to qualm the endless posts about people constantly exchanging their Pre's (sp)" is HIGHLY suspect when coupled with the inflamatory title of your OP. "Qualm"? Really? It seems much more likely that you are trying to incite. P.S.: "insight" is something you gain from experience and contemplation.
    I haven't exchanged 10 pre's, I said I've had my hands on them.

Oh, and thanks for the grammar lesson. It was totally relevant and necessary.

You've stated your opinion on the OP so I don't see any other reason for you to continue posting in this thread if not just to prove how big of an *** you are.

Thanks!
    Gonna have to go with skinflaps on this one. I don't think he was trying to discount the experiences of those who have gotten "perfect" replacements for their original duds. Heck, my Pre is so nice (had it for almost two months now) I keep wondering about all the problems others are reporting. Oreo twist? Discoloration? Poor battery life?

Whether or not he needed to say it is debatable, as people are still reporting the same problems with newer-build Pres. So it seems somewhat obvious to me that it's still a crapshoot as to what you'll get, but I do think he's correct.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    LOL - Coming from you, the OP of that balanced, non-fanboy thread titled Replacement Pre = AMAZING Build!!! you really don't have a leg to stand on complaining about this thread. Go start a pep club somewhere else.
    Oh crap, I didn't even realize he/she was the one that posted that thread. Now it all makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Actually, I have written far more threads about the problems and issues I was having with my original Pre. I even wrote a thread about finding a way to repair my horrible slider. The fix worked -- but I *should not have HAD to fix it.* I've also ******ed all over Palm's own site about the build issues. For a long time, I was a very frustrated and aggrevated Pre owner. So, when I wrote the post that you quote above... I was absolutely gleeful to have finally and in one fell swoop had all of my Pre issues resolved.

It's wierd, because while I don't consider myself a fanboy, I AM a fan of this device. Not of every aspect of it; because the Pre still has a long way to go. But, I am a fan of the potential the Pre and webOS has to alter the way we compute on our phones. I can see where you could misinterpret the post you quoted above as being of the "pep club" variety, because I WAS enthusiastic about getting my hands on this seriously PERFECT phone after having sooo many issues with my original device. I'm not saying that a person who is having build issues should not complain about them -- heck -- I say return, return, return until you get what you are looking for. But I am also saying that negatively spun over generalizations really don't accomplish anything or add to the forum.
    My pre seems to be wobbling slightly back and forth too, probably need to go swap it in. Can they give us any hassle for homebrew apps on the phone? May be safe and just delete them before returning it.
    Actually, I have written far more threads about the problems and issues I was having with my original Pre. I even wrote a thread about finding a way to repair my horrible slider. The fix worked -- but I *should not have HAD to fix it.* I've also ******ed all over Palm's own site about the build issues. For a long time, I was a very frustrated and aggrevated Pre owner. So, when I wrote the post that you quote above... I was absolutely gleeful to have finally and in one fell swoop had all of my Pre issues resolved.
    That's AMAZING!!! (j/k)

It's wierd, because while I don't consider myself a fanboy, I AM a fan of this device. Not of every aspect of it; because the Pre still has a long way to go. But, I am a fan of the potential the Pre and webOS has to alter the way we compute on our phones. I can see where you could misinterpret the post you quoted above as being of the "pep club" variety, because I WAS enthusiastic about getting my hands on this seriously PERFECT phone after having sooo many issues with my original device. I'm not saying that a person who is having build issues should not complain about them -- heck -- I say return, return, return until you get what you are looking for. But I am also saying that negatively spun over generalizations really don't accomplish anything or add to the forum.
    Fair enough - you just seemed to be spring-loaded to the "anti" position on this thread in spite of its reasonable lead post.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast