Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    But I am also saying that negatively spun over generalizations really don't accomplish anything or add to the forum.
    You're wasting your time. Negative over-generalizations are all Kupe is here for.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    I haven't exchanged 10 pre's, I said I've had my hands on them.

Oh, and thanks for the grammar lesson. It was totally relevant and necessary.

You've stated your opinion on the OP so I don't see any other reason for you to continue posting in this thread if not just to prove how big of an *** you are.

Thanks!
    Reverting to name calling... what are you like 10? Sorry I corrected your grammar, you're right... I should not have done that. I'm afraid that my pre-disposition toward correcting mistakes as such is that I teach English at a University. Honestly, it was not meant to belittle you. Then again, had I wanted to do that, I would have used bigger words
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
  3.    #23  
    Reverting to name calling... what are you like 10? Sorry I corrected your grammar, you're right... I should not have done that. I'm afraid that my pre-disposition toward correcting mistakes as such is that I teach English at a University. Honestly, it was not meant to belittle you. Then again, had I wanted to do that, I would have used bigger words
    Maybe you're not an ***. Maybe you're a perfectly reasonable person. In this particular instance you were acting like an *** IMO. That is all.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    thats not the case for my pre !!

my third pre is way better than the first two build wise... no dead pixels or anything else wrong with it..

it feels sturdier too.. the build date is 7-2-09..
    Maybe you're not an ***. Maybe you're a perfectly reasonable person. In this particular instance you were acting like an *** IMO. That is all.
    Wait... so, basically, if we use your own logic here, then what you are saying is that anytime YOU disagree with someone else, YOU should try to level them with bad language and nasty remarks. But, if someone disagrees with YOU, then they are automatically unreasonable and an ***(whatever the stars mean)?

See... that is what I meant by the over-generalizations. It seems you have a huge shovel and a small basket. Anyway, again, I am sorry for correcting your grammar. That was unnecessary.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    hype - noun
    1. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually fol. by up).
    2. to trick; gull.

I'm not sure I would call it hype, because there are good phones out there. It sounds like there are more poorly built ones. I do believe that Palm is having a serious problem with production of this phone. I exchanged once and my new Pre has a solid build, no gap, no creak, no oreo, no dead pixels or any of the other issues people are talking about.

If many of you are still finding crappy hardware out ther, that tells me Palm is having some major issues.

It's too bad because I hate hearing about people having a bad/negative experience. It's such a great phone and webOS has awesome potential.

Instead of telling people not to believe the hype, maybe you should be telling them that Palm doesn't build its products properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Gonna have to go with skinflaps on this one. I don't think he was trying to discount the experiences of those who have gotten "perfect" replacements for their original duds. Heck, my Pre is so nice (had it for almost two months now) I keep wondering about all the problems others are reporting. Oreo twist? Discoloration? Poor battery life?

Whether or not he needed to say it is debatable, as people are still reporting the same problems with newer-build Pres. So it seems somewhat obvious to me that it's still a crapshoot as to what you'll get, but I do think he's correct.
    I have to agree this time with Skinflaps as well. I am not going to totally discount the possibility of the 'perfect' Pre but I am skeptical. I think different people interpret the various quirks differently. What might seem like very little play and perfectly normal to some will be an unacceptable defect that requires replacement to others (even though it is present in all of them). However I have no doubt some of these units are indeed defective or have broken or loose parts that allow the slider to slide excessively to one side.

The trick is being able to separate what's normal from what's a defect. I see the yellow discoloration as different from the light bleed that some are reporting. I saw a pic of the light bleed issue and I can safely say, mine has no such problem. However the yellow discoloration has come and gone on mine and I'm sure it's caused by heat affecting the liquid crystals. This to me is normal and is not unusual as I've seen this kind of discoloration on lcds before. It's not permanent and as long as it's a not causing damage to the display (which I doubt)I have no problem with it. IMO, a problem such as this won't be solved by a replacement. Even if the replacement seems to be fine, at some point, the discoloration will be present.

Another potential issue that I think is present in all of them is the loose battery/shut off problem being reported. I wedged my battery early on and haven't experienced it at all (knock on wood). No reboots either. However I believe (from what was posted on a few threads) the dimensions of the stock battery is the culprit and that's why the newer replacements have had no issues (as far as what's reported). So this is clearly a defect that's not going to be solved by merely swapping the unit UNLESS the battery in the newer ones were of the new design.

I think the moral of the story here is swapping without a good understanding of the underlying problem will more than likely result in frustration.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I believe build dates have no bearing on the build quality of your individual Pre...I know for my the one I originally bought on 7.15 had a build date off 7.7.09 and reception etc horrid phone, got it exchanged and while I think I was given a refurb phone with a build date 6.19 it works way better than my old way battery LIFE ROCKS and physical is great as well, now I don't know if its machines or humans making them but a build date is just that a build date you can have two phones with the same 2 build dates and they both come out different physically and different reception issues and bad RF.
  9.    #29  
    Wait... so, basically, if we use your own logic here, then what you are saying is that anytime YOU disagree with someone else, YOU should try to level them with bad language and nasty remarks. But, if someone disagrees with YOU, then they are automatically unreasonable and an ***(whatever the stars mean)?

See... that is what I meant by the over-generalizations. It seems you have a huge shovel and a small basket. Anyway, again, I am sorry for correcting your grammar. That was unnecessary.
    It wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. I'm OK with people disagreeing with me. You came in here guns blazing.

And as for "bad language" and "nasty remarks"... Seriously??? It's kind of pathetic that this forum automatically sensors language, especially words like @$$. How old are we?
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I believe build dates have no bearing on the build quality of your individual Pre...I know for my the one I originally bought on 7.15 had a build date off 7.7.09 and reception etc horrid phone, got it exchanged and while I think I was given a refurb phone with a build date 6.19 it works way better than my old way battery LIFE ROCKS and physical is great as well, now I don't know if its machines or humans making them but a build date is just that a build date you can have two phones with the same 2 build dates and they both come out different physically and different reception issues and bad RF.
    I think that people were hoping that Pre's with more recent build dates would have less problems because they would have had time to work out some of the QC issues. I'm just saying that in my experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I really want a pre. I currently have the pro and I like it. The only thing keeping me from getting the pre is that you can't forward sms and no video cam. Are any of these features added on the new pre's?
    It wasn't what you said, it was the way you said it. I'm OK with people disagreeing with me. You came in here guns blazing.
    Which was exactly my point about your thread title. Goes both ways.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether the newer builds have better hardware. All I know is that *my* replacement Pre is definitely built more solidly than my first Pre. So, that is just one experience, take from it what you will.

I still wonder though, why would anyone continue to return device after device after device only to STILL be unsatisfied and, yet, keep that model of phone? It seems to make little sense. I find it kind of fascinating... the lure of this device (or, really, the webOS). Is it so strong that people are really willing to tolerate being dissatisfied? Curious.
    "Don't believe the hype"? Seriously, you give the thread that title, basically saying Wordweaver is full of it in the other thread and you're surprised by the guns blazing?

Couldn't you have added your exact comments to that thread, sans inflammaory title, and express your dissimilar experience there?

Maybe you could take your own advice.
    this thread confirms it: you Pre fanbois are far worse than iPhone fanbois and they are an insufferable lot. You should all stand in the corner, ESPECIALLY THE ENGLISH TEACHER who is as big a twit as the rest of you fanbois. You're all acting like brats.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    "Don't believe the hype"? Seriously, you give the thread that title, basically saying Wordweaver is full of it in the other thread and you're surprised by the guns blazing?

Couldn't you have added your exact comments to that thread, sans inflammaory title, and express your dissimilar experience there?

Maybe you could take your own advice.
    I didn't mean to specifically target wordweaver with this thread. I've seen many posts on this forum suggesting and/or speculating that Pre's with newer build dates have less QC problems.
    And you're (Dave) getting emotional and have resorted to name-calling on a forum for a device that you don't even own.
    Last edited by GMoney749; 08/07/2009 at 12:24 AM.
  17.    #37  
    And you're getting emotional and have resorted to name-calling on a forum for a device that you don't even own.
    Not you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    this thread confirms it: you Pre fanbois are far worse than iPhone fanbois and they are an insufferable lot. You should all stand in the corner, ESPECIALLY THE ENGLISH TEACHER who is as big a twit as the rest of you fanbois. You're all acting like brats.
    Oh, you're just cranky because I pointed out in the "TROLL" thread that your moniker, 1812dave, translates to: "I ate one too dave." All you EVER do is come here to bash us. Calling us brats? Dude, look inward.
    And you're (Dave) getting emotional and have resorted to name-calling on a forum for a device that you don't even own.

LOL! I'm not emotional, or excited, or freaked out, or upset. I'm just having a little fun! Why are you so focused on the fact I don't own a Pre? I nearly bought one, and I spent tons of my time researching it prior to release. Stop obsessing over the fact I don't own one. It's pointless to keep pointing that out.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast