1.    #1  
    I'm debating whether or not to forgo my Touch Pro for a Palm Pre. I am quite the app junkie, but I'm also somewhat sick of all the bugs and quirks relating to Windows Mobile... I've had the Touch Pro for almost a year now but I'm not sure I should switch to the Pre yet... I do qualify for the $200 price if I renew my contract...

Has anyone here done this switch? If so, are you happy with the switch or do you wish you waited?
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolTommy View Post
    I'm debating whether or not to forgo my Touch Pro for a Palm Pre. I am quite the app junkie, but I'm also somewhat sick of all the bugs and quirks relating to Windows Mobile... I've had the Touch Pro for almost a year now but I'm not sure I should switch to the Pre yet... I do qualify for the $200 price if I renew my contract...

Has anyone here done this switch? If so, are you happy with the switch or do you wish you waited?
    I went from a diamond to a Pre. So not exactly the same I was missing the hardware keyboard, flash and expandable memory of the Pro. I will say this. After using the Pre Windows Mobile will need a complete rewrite for me to come back to it. The Pre was definitely worth ditching the Diamond.
    I did it. I loved the TP and how customizable it is. In fact, my gf has it now and she likes it better than her blackberry (with all my customizations and a 6.5 rom ). However, the Pre is just so much smoother at this point and much less brick-like. There are a few things I could do on my TP that I can't yet due on my Pre, but the Pre is just so nice to use that it makes the change worthwhile.
    There you go, the two Los Angelinos on the forum agree, you need to go out there and buy a Pre right now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    There you go, the two Los Angelinos on the forum agree, you need to go out there and buy a Pre right now.
    Works for me since I too am a Los Angelino...

Thanks you too!
    Seriously though Oddlou hit it spot on. The Diamond and Touch Pro CAN do more, but honestly they can also be frustrating thanks to windows mobile. The Pre just works, and I haven't had it crash when a call has come in yet. I can't say the same about Windows Mobile. I do miss that 640x480 screen though. I'll take the 24bit color of the Pre screen over the 16bit of the Pro and Diamond.
  7.    #7  
    I don't understand how the Pre has such a small screen (320x480)... It sure doesn't look that small in the screen shots...

I can't imagine being able to go to a smaller screen though...
    I don't understand how the Pre has such a small screen (320x480)... It sure doesn't look that small in the screen shots...

It's weird, the screen is smaller, but it doesn't feel smaller. It's a really good size in the hand. There's definitely a certain flow to everything with the phone, hardware and software.

And donatom3, we're definitely on the same wavelength today. It's gotta be L.A. weather.
    i made the swith from tp to the pre and it was worth it since its frustrating when the phone get slows
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I went from the original touch to the pre. Before the touch I had the treo 700w, so I've had a lot of experience with the OS. I also used many programs that were, initially, great, until something would happen with either the program or the OS itself which caused me a lot of headaches: crashes, slowdown, restarts, etc. The entire thing was too bogged down in it's own sluggishness that it eventually became impossible to use several programs at once efficient, so I would make excuses like 'well, I guess I don't NEED to use this right now' because I knew that if I did, the phone would run slowly as I had other programs open.

Switched to the pre, and am glad I did. If you check out my post history, you'll find that I'm definitely not one of those dudes who excuses the lack of apps (im not a ***** either-it's been 2 months and we've known the apps wouldnt be here from the get go), but the easy and fluidity of the OS and native apps really helps you forget a lot of the programs that you grew to love on your windows device that you (at least in my case) convinced yourself you cannot live without.

It's funny, too. I could soft reset my treo 700w and my touch without even looking at the after a while-it was all muscle memory. The more programs I added and the more I tried to actually use the devices, the more I'd have to reset them during the day, the fewer programs I actually used due to hastle. Now, that muscle memory has been replaced: now I open the slider dual palmed so much that it's natural.

Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    It's weird, the screen is smaller, but it doesn't feel smaller. It's a really good size in the hand. r.
    If you're talking about the touch pro, the screen on the Pre is larger. The pre is 3.1, the TP is 2.8.
    You'll love the Pre. I was addicted to Windows Mobile for years. I switched to webOS and never regretted it.

You'll notice by reading this forum that the Pre is still missing, what some consider, key features... but it's a fantastic device... probably the best on the market right now, especially for a Sprint customer.
  13.    #13  
    Well you guys convinced me... I got the Pre, and so far I am definitely impressed...

It's going to take a little while to get used to since I've had a WinMo phone for so long... It's nice not having to confirm or press 'OK' every few seconds...

Now I just need to figure out how to tether...
    I love the pre but I am not letting go of my diamond. I agree that windows has its problems but if you seen how many games and apps I have on my storage memory you would understand. I really like the pre but until the apps start rolling in I will keep my diamond on the side. I got the diamond for free so no point in getting rid of it.

Always good to have a phone to tinker with. I have a touch and a treo 700 too. Phone junkie....
    Every couple of days I seriously think about going with the Pre and every couple of days I realize that not being able to have to Classic windows/cards open at one time is a hindrance. If it supported Winslow applications like Word and Excel, then it would be more than a serious consideration.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

I thought the Pre screen was 3.1 and the touch pro was 2.8?
  17.    #17  
    Yeah the Pre's screen is noticeably bigger than the Pro's...
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts

Hey,

Take a look here for my feedback on my switch from the touch pro to the palm pre. (summary, jump in! I don't miss my touch pro at all..)

3+ weeks w/ the pre (vs sprint touch pro) - PPCGeeks

-mark
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Every couple of days I seriously think about going with the Pre and every couple of days I realize that not being able to have to Classic windows/cards open at one time is a hindrance. If it supported Winslow applications like Word and Excel, then it would be more than a serious consideration.
    For viewing Office doc's only, the Pre has a viewer that works well. But if you need to edit, for now we're out of luck on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I thought the Pre screen was 3.1 and the touch pro was 2.8?
    It is the Pre is 3.1" @ 320x480 24bit, the Touch Pro is 2.8" @ 640x480 16bit.

While the Pro and Diamond have the higher pixel density screen the pre has the higher color range. Also because of the Pre fonts the pre screen looks sharper than the Diamond's even though it shouldn't.