Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm looking forward to buying a Pre. But simply can't until voice dialing is available. For me and lots of others (maybe not you in particular), voice dialing is a MUST HAVE! Its a go/no go feature.

I stop into this site every other day or so hoping this feature will show up in an update. Wow, I want one. But voice dialing is so integral to how I use my phone that I can't live without it.

When is Palm or some third party going to add this feature? Why doesn't Palm or one of the developer companies make any announcements on what they are working on or what is still coming for this phone?

Also: For those of you who don't care about voice dialing, please don't flame those who consider it vital!

Palm: Please add voice dial or open up the OS enough so a third party can add this feature.
    I absolutely need voice dial, but it is not a deal breaker for me.

Quick question though... when the Pre gets voice dial, what are you going to change your name to?
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I will change my name too.
    I'm waiting to, I'm willing to, I'm wanting to.
    How is that feature such a big deal that you won't get the phone? It's not even an issue its just lack of a single feature. The entire phone is amazing but one lacking feature would cause you to not get the phone, register to a forum with a stupid name and troll it. What does that accomplish?

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by billybennett View Post
    How is that feature such a big deal that you won't get the phone? It's not even an issue its just lack of a single feature. The entire phone is amazing but one lacking feature would cause you to not get the phone, register to a forum with a stupid name and troll it. What does that accomplish?

REALLY?
    He is definitely not trolling. He put his statement pretty nicely, stated his needs. Just because it isn't a must have for you it doesn't mean it can't be for other people. Imagine you're a real estate agent and you need to make calls while on the go. You would want a phone that would let you voice dial from your bluetooth headset without having to touch your phone.

He is obviously trying to see if anyone has more information than he has because he wants to purchase the phone, but can't because it won't fit into his life until this feature becomes available. If my car's bluetooth system didn't have it's own voice dial that automatically downloaded my phonebook from the Pre I'd be a bit upset about the lack of this feature myself. So in my car I am fine, but wherever he uses voice dial he requires it on the phone.

P.S. To the op sorry for assuming you're a man. I noticed halfway through the message I was typing "he" and didn't want to go back and edit it.

REALLY?
    Take 'er easy their partner. I can see voice dial being a deal breaker. If you spend a lot of time without being able to look at your phone, or (and I know this is way out there) lets say that you want to not have to look at your phone to dial while driving...

This could be a legitimate issue, and bringing up a feature as many times as you can in forums such as these gets the issue noticed.

Calling someone a troll because they come here and mention a legitimate flaw is not cool.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

REALLY?
    While its not a deal breaker for me, people like myself who are on the road constantly , find its very very handy! especially when the laws in my state say you are suppose to be "hands free" while driving
    Quote Originally Posted by needvoiceDial View Post
    I'm looking forward to buying a Pre. But simply can't until voice dialing is available. For me and lots of others (maybe not you in particular), voice dialing is a MUST HAVE! Its a go/no go feature.

I stop into this site every other day or so hoping this feature will show up in an update. Wow, I want one. But voice dialing is so integral to how I use my phone that I can't live without it.

When is Palm or some third party going to add this feature? Why doesn't Palm or one of the developer companies make any announcements on what they are working on or what is still coming for this phone?

Also: For those of you who don't care about voice dialing, please don't flame those who consider it vital!

Palm: Please add voice dial or open up the OS enough so a third party can add this feature.
    HINT: never buy a product that doesn't ALREADY incorporate the features you need/want. NEVER expect that "someday" they will add such features.
    I had voice dial on my Instinct, but the lack of it on the Pre didn't keep me from buying it. I would love to have it on my sweet baby Pre but I'm still very, very happy with this phone.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    i too enjoy voicedialing, but not enough to care. Im too busy texting funny pics anyways
    We all have different needs, folks! Voicedialing is a dealmaker/breaker for the OP. Nothing wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    We all have different needs, folks! Voicedialing is a dealmaker/breaker for the OP. Nothing wrong with that.
    Exactly! Like lack of it is a dealbreaker for me, as was the small screen with tiny fonts.

for some it's a dealbreaker to have a phone on [fill in your most hated cell phone company here]...the list is endless
    While it's not a "must" for me, I have to say it's a pretty major bummer. And more than a little baffling that such an advanced phone doesn't have it when just about every "normal" cell phone does these days.

FWIW, there are bluetooth devices (speaker phones) that can handle the voice dialing by downloading the contacts from your cell phone. And there's the Blueant Q1 earset which keeps a limited speed dial list (was thinking about one of those for myself)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    HINT: never buy a product that doesn't ALREADY incorporate the features you need/want. NEVER expect that "someday" they will add such features.
    That's why I applaud the op, he did the smart thing and researched the product before he went and bought it. He now knows for the moment it's missing a feature he can't live without. He is trying to research and see if anyone else knows of anything in the pipleline for that feature he needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    That's why I applaud the op, he did the smart thing and researched the product before he went and bought it. He now knows for the moment it's missing a feature he can't live without. He is trying to research and see if anyone else knows of anything in the pipleline for that feature he needs.
    You lost me. He bought the product, KNOWING it didn't have the feature he wanted, and for that he is applauded?? For what?? For sheer devotion to the Palm brand, or what, exactly??
    You lost me. He bought the product, KNOWING it didn't have the feature he wanted, and for that he is applauded?? For what?? For sheer devotion to the Palm brand, or what, exactly??
    You lost yourself! The OP didn't buy the phone. That was the point of the post you quote.
    From his first line:

"I'm looking forward to buying a Pre. But simply can't until voice dialing is available. For me and lots of others (maybe not you in particular), voice dialing is a MUST HAVE! Its a go/no go feature."

I highlighted the part I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    You lost yourself! The OP didn't buy the phone. That was the point of the post you quote.
    ah, I was responding to your post that indicated(my mistaken inference) he did buy it. the OP was written some time ago and since I don't have a photographic memory, I'd forgotten the content. Now aren't you the SMART ONE for making fun of my oversight?? I'd seen the OP 3 hours ago, and I read a lot of forums and have been in and out doing other things, so I can't keep all the particulars in mind. FYI, my FIRST post was a generalization, not directed at the OP, but written as a gentle reminder to anyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    From his first line:

"I'm looking forward to buying a Pre. But simply can't until voice dialing is available. For me and lots of others (maybe not you in particular), voice dialing is a MUST HAVE! Its a go/no go feature."

I highlighted the part I'm talking about.

Yes, yes, I got it now. Calm down everyone--go make some calls on your Pre's.
    Yes, yes, I got it now. Calm down everyone--go make some calls on your Pre's.
    Hey you're the one who jumped on me, I was trying to be as nice in pointing out the misread of the post you quoted. Nothing more than that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast