1.    #1  
    This Question is to all previous treo users that use to organize their contacts by putting them in different categories.

On the palm os, when you save a new contact you are able to save it to different categories. i.e. Business, family, Friends, Unfiled.
    When I played with the pre a few months back, I couldn't find that option anymore. To take it a step further... I love how when you save a new contact on a treo, you have the option of makeing the contact private.

So my question is to those people that use to use these features on palm os. What do you do now???
    are you able to seperate your contacts???
    Are you able to make contacts Private so they don't show up when someone is looking through your contacts???
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I would love some filtering in the contacts as well. I hate opening the keyboard to actually call someone, but scrolling through all my contacts is more painful. I have to imagine this has to be one a features list at Palm (at least I hope!)

What I do now is store frequently called in the laucher which covers about 75% of my calling and texting. To do this I open a contact and then in the menu select "Add to Launcher." I also have hacked the phone so I can add launcher pages so all my contacts are on their own launcher page. I know this isn't quite the same thing, but it's an easy fix until we get a more feature rich contact manager.

As for private contacts, I got nothin' for you. I've never used private contacts so I haven't looked for the feature.
    I had a Zire, not a Treo, but I miss the Categories for Contacts too.

Pre doesn't have it (even though Google contacts does, so maybe there's hope). The quick scrolling and search feature (just start typing) make it pretty easy to find things without it. But there are cases where you know what category you're looking for and forget the name .

One trick you can play if you're so inclined is to use the "Company" field as a pseudo Category (assuming the Contact doesn't require both a name and a company). Then you can search and/or sort based on Company. For example, I keep a few local restaurants in my list, name is in "Name ..." and Company is "Restaurant" ... then search for "restaurant" and they all pop up.
    ^good tip. I also have categories like 'golf courses' and 'restaurants' and such. i don't really miss them too much but this is a good workaround. Kudos.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fully_Amazing View Post
    This Question is to all previous treo users that use to organize their contacts by putting them in different categories.

On the palm os, when you save a new contact you are able to save it to different categories. i.e. Business, family, Friends, Unfiled.
    When I played with the pre a few months back, I couldn't find that option anymore. To take it a step further... I love how when you save a new contact on a treo, you have the option of makeing the contact private.

So my question is to those people that use to use these features on palm os. What do you do now???
    are you able to seperate your contacts???
    Are you able to make contacts Private so they don't show up when someone is looking through your contacts???
    There are no categories or private contacts on the Pre. Universal searc sort of did away with most of the need for categories. I don't even open the contact App directly any more. Just start typing the name, part of the name, or the initials, and it pops up.

I never worried about the private settings in the past. Anyone that has the right to dig my phone out of my front pants pocket has an equal right to know exactly who is in my contact list...
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Universal searc sort of did away with most of the need for categories.
    I disagree. I hate opening my keyboard to call someone and I use the contacts app quite frequently for that reason. Before I figured out the contacts in the launcher I couldn't call anyone while driving because it was unsafe to dial.

Universal search shouldn't replace a feature rich address book, but instead enhance it by adding one more method to get to your data.