Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The issue I see is that Sprint nor the manufacturer make any money on fixing issues that they have. The big money maker is selling new devices. When the touch pro came out the big issue was that the battery would get too hot and stop charging... I noticed this when using GPS for more than 2 hours, My battery was down to 10 percent and I was 600 miles away from home... I had to pull over and wait for my phone to "Cool" down in order to be able to charge it again and use GPS. Head over to the PPCGeeks forums today and look at the touch pro forum. They are still having the same issues that they did the day the phone was released. Also the Blackberry Tour has been reported to have a very weak radio, Alot of people say that this is going to be resolved with a software update but I seriously doubt that the issue is going to be fully resolved. Almost every phone that is released has some major flaw that never gets fixed until a "New" version of the phone is released. I'm not exactly sure if this is going to be the same with Palm because their whole business is relying on this phone and WebOs but it sure seems like the same as all other new phones that are released...
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Here's the long, and ugly saga, for those who may be interested. I'll pick up from where I left off in my first post.

On my way to the Sprint store, I decided to test my theory that they actually do have them in stock, but just don't want to give me one. So I called the store, and asked, "Do you have the Palm Pre in stock?"

"Yes, we do," replied the eager voice on the other end.

"Great, I'll stop in," I said.

Not good. Either the CSR had lied to me about calling the store, the store had lied to her about their inventory, or possibly both. At this point, I was fairly sure how this was all going to end. But I still held out hope that someone at the store would do the right thing.

A few minutes later I arrived at the store. As I was approaching the front door, an elderly woman with a cane said to me, "You don't want to go in there. It's FREEZING in there." This will become important later.

"Is it? Thanks for the warning," I smiled back.

Upon walking in, I was quickly intercepted by a large man at a podium near the door, who seemed to be some sort of receptionist, but looked more like a bouncer. In retrospect, I can only assume he was a bit of both.

He asked me what I wanted, and I told him my Pre was starting to fall apart. He said, "Ah, so you need a technician. What's your mobile number?" He started typing on his computer, and told me to wait.

"Odd way to begin," I thought to myself. Never before have I had to 'sign in' like this, just to enter a store. Very strange.

A few minutes later, a young man called my name. I walked over to his station at the counter, and showed him the various problems with my Pre. After nodding, and acknowledging, "Yes, I see," he took it from my hand, and disappeared behind a door.

While he was gone, I took a few minutes to examine the demo Pres that were on display. As I suspected would be the case, all of them were perfectly normal. The gap between the two halves of the phone on each of them was nice and tight, there was no floppiness whatsoever, and only extremely minimal "Oreo twist". In other words, their slider mechanisms were exactly as mine had been, up until a few days ago.

The presence or absence of any light-bleed was impossible to determine, as the store was very brightly lit. The bleed on mine is only visible when the ambient lighting is dim.

And of course, there didn't seem to be any dead pixels.

Some time later, the young man reappeared, handed my phone back to me. I could tell right away from the look on his face that whatever had transpired behind that closed door had not been positive. He said, "I spoke with the technician, actually the head technician, and he says there's nothing wrong with your phone. We won't be able to replace it." He seemed almost to be choking on the words a little, as if internally he did not at all agree with what he had to say, and did not enjoy fighting with himself in order to say it anyway.

I said, "What do you mean, he says there's nothing wrong with it? None of your demo units do this." I proceeded to tap on the upper half of the screen, so that the "click, click, click" sound was clearly audible. "Or this." I twisted the screen to demonstrate its considerable amount of "Oreo effect". "I've looked at other demo units in three different stores. None of them do this. I also know plenty of people who have this device, and none of theirs do it either. And this one didn't do it until two days ago. I don't know what this technician might have said, but I can promise you, this is NOT normal."

The young man looked to be at a loss for words. "As I said, I talked to the head technician, and we're not going to be able to-" He cut himself off. "You could talk to him if you'd like."

"I would LOVE to talk to him," I responded.

"OK, wait here."

So I waited, and while I did, I once again examined the demo units, just to be absolutely certain they weren't even remotely behaving like mine. They weren't.

Quite a while later, the young man again reappeared from behind the door, with an older, considerably less friendly-looking, pot-bellied, bespectacled, man behind him. I had to kind of lean out of my way to make eye contact with this other man, and when I did I smiled, as I always do when I'm about to begin a conversation with anyone. I opened my mouth to say hello, but this man cut me off before I could utter a sound.

"I'll be right with you," he muttered, as he quickly brushed past me to hand a pink phone to a woman toward the other end of the store, and began talking with her.

"OK, there's someone else ahead of me. No problem," I thought. He could have been a bit more vocal about asking me to wait, but evidently people skills were not this guy's strong suit. It would turn out that "not his strong suit" didn't even begin to cover it. Read on.

When he finished with the woman, he turned to me, gave me this look which seemed to say "I can't believe YOU really want to talk to ME," and without so much as introducing himself, spouted, "There's nothing wrong with that phone."

I repeated my previous, "It's not supposed to do this," speech, almost word for word. After all, anyone would have to agree it's malfunctioning if I just demonstrate it clearly, right? WRONG! This guy wasn't going to budge.

"It has to have some play in order for it to curve as it slides. That's how it's supposed to be," he muttered in sort of an "I'm sooooo obviously the most superior intellect in this entire store" kind of tone.

"Yes, SOME play, just like all your demo units have, a very slight amount. But not this." I started tapping again, to make the click, click, click sound, as I angled the top of the phone directly into his line of sight, so he could witness the gap changing size from dime-thickness to paper-thinness, and back again. "With all this clicking, it feels more like using a Blackberry Storm than using a Pre," I said. "That's not how it's supposed to be."

"That's not a comparison an intelligent person can make. The Blackberry Storm is made by Research In Motion; the Pre is made by Palm. There's no comparison to be made there," he snapped back.

Was he serious?! I could scarcely begin to figure how to respond to that. Not only did he just call me unintelligent to my face, but he also was speaking complete and utter nonsense, himself. Quite obviously, the makers of the devices weren't relevant in any way, shape, or form to the point I was trying to get across.

"Look, don't insult my intelligence," I said. "The makers of the two devices have nothing to do with why I just said what I said, and you know it. The point was simply that there happens to be another device out there that IS supposed to feel 'clicky' like this, but the Pre is not that device. This is not a normal thing for the Pre. It's supposed to feel solid, just like your demo units do."

"Those don't get opened and closed. So they don't get loose."

Nice try, but no. "I also know plenty of people who have this device, and theirs are just like yours. They do open and close theirs all the time."

"There's nothing wrong with your phone. That's how it's supposed to be."

He was now speaking much more forcefully than before. While his tone up until this point, if it could be described musically, had been an arrogant, "I'm too sexy for Milan, New York, and Japan," kind of vibe, it was now clearly bordering on "I Hate Everything About You." From his body language, to the piercing look in his eye, to the manner of his speech, every fiber of this man seemed to want to scream, "This is MY castle, I'm the king, and you need to get the **** out of here right now!"

Perhaps this wasn't the sort of thing any 'king' would want to hear, but a little authority from above seemed to be in order. I said, "Look, I talked with Sprint Customer Service this morning, and they agreed that my phone needed to be replaced. The representative I spoke with called here, and your people told her that you would put me on a list to receive a replacement Pre as soon as you have one in stock."

"No one spoke with me," he declared, with visible annoyance.

"I realize that. I'd like to speak with whomever they did talk to," I said.

"I don't know who they talked to."

"Well, let's get everyone out here and ask."

"I can't just call them all into a huddle."

"OK, let's go around, and ask them each one at a time."

"No."

Wow, just no. He wasn't even going to try to justify it. Just no. I was floored.

I could tell I wasn't going to get any further with this guy, so I said, very matter-of-factly, "Look, you and I are done here. Can I please speak with your manager?"

"You need to calm down. Don't be so angry."

Excuse me, what? Did he really just say that? At that, I could have spent the better part of the day lecturing this fool on the importance of not telling other people what they're thinking and feeling, especially when you have no idea yourself, but I chose just to let it go. "I'm perfectly calm," I replied. "Can I please speak with your manager."

"You're angry," he said.

"I'm done with YOU, but I'm not angry. Now, for the third time, can I please speak with your manager? I fail to see why it should be such a big deal to ask to see a manager in ANY retail store."

"You're shaking," he said.

Remember I said the old woman's warning about the temperature would become important later? Well here it was. "I'm shaking because it's cold in here. Look around. Everyone in here is shaking." It really was freezing in there.

He opened his mouth to speak, but now it was my turn to cut him off, just as he had done to me before. "Manager. Now."

He opened his mouth again, and I cut him off again. "Manager."

"Not until you calm down!" he exclaimed with visible anger.

"As I said, I'm perfectly calm. I can tell you something, though." I leaned in very close, and spoke very quietly. "I've been in customer service myself for over 15 years. The fastest way to make someone not calm is to accuse them of being not calm. Is that what you're trying to do here? Because it sure seems like it. Manager, please."

Finally, he stepped away, tapped a short, heavy-set, curly-haired woman on the shoulder, and motioned for her to follow him behind that same door he had come first come from. A few minutes later, she reemerged, and walked up to me, without saying a word. She did not even begin to introduce herself (Doesn't anyone in this place have any manners or people skills?) until I asked, "Are you the manager?"

"Yes, I am," she replied, but still did not introduce herself. I didn't even find out her name at all, until I asked for it much later in the conversation.

I recounted the entire story to her, and once again asked whom Customer Service had spoken with. "I don't know who they spoke with," was all she could say.

"Well, how about we call them, and ask them?" I began dialing.

"While you're doing that, I'm just going to look up your account information." She started typing on her computer.

"Can I ask what you're typing?"

"I'm just making a note that our technician says there's nothing wrong with your phone, so a replacement is not warranted."

I was now considering reaching across the counter to strangle this woman. If I wasn't angry before, I certainly was now. But I remained outwardly cool. "So not only are refusing to help me in the store, but you're also doing everything in your power to get Customer Service not to help me either?"

"They can still override this, if they feel it's necessary."

Before I could respond to that, Customer Service picked up. I explained the situation, but it was clear the damage had been done. "I can't authorize the store to give you a replacement."

"How come the representative I spoke with this morning said she could?"

He simply ignored the question. "We can get you a new phone, no questions asked. Let me give you a website to go to: phonereplacement.com."

"Isn't that the website for the insurance company?" I asked.

"Yes, insurance."

"This is not an insurance issue. I didn't drop it. I didn't step on it. It wasn't in a fire. It wasn't lost or stolen. To file an insurance claim for this would be fraudulent. Plus, I should not have to pay a $100 deductible for something that is not my fault. This is a warranty issue. Insurance has nothing to do with it. Never in my life have I had to fight like this to get any company to honor any warranty for any product. What's really going on here?"

He then attempted the mother of all lies, the bait & switch. "Let me speak with the Special Palm Pre Department." He put me on hold for a long time.

When he came back, he said, "OK, I've arranged with the Special Palm Pre Department for you to receive a new replacement Palm Pre. I just need to verify your address."

I wasn't about to fall for it. "Will there be any cost?" I asked.

"The cost is $100."

"Wait a minute," I said. "You spoke with the insurance company, didn't you?"

"Yes," he admitted, with very audible reluctance, "The Special Palm Pre Department, at the insurance company."

"I already told you this is not an insurance issue. This phone is defective, not damaged. This is a warranty issue. Can I have your name please?"

"My name is Cyrus," he said. "But don't worry, this call is being recorded. So there's a record of everything we've said."

"Great, can I get a copy of the recording?" I asked.

He then put me on hold again. After a long wait, someone who identified herself as a supervisor picked up. "Can I ask why you want a record of the conversation?"

"Well, between the two phone calls I've had with your department, and what's happened here in the store, I've been given a lot of conflicting information. I'd like a record of everything in order to compare what's been said at each stage. I'm sure you can understand why I'd want to be able to do that."

"We can't just type out a transcript," she said.

"I'm not asking for a transcript. I'm just asking for a copy of the recording."

"Recordings are only for training and monitoring purposes, and they get deleted after three days. We don't share them with the public," she said.

"Well, you might want to have a talk with Cyrus, then. He just told me that I 'shouldn't worry' because the conversation was being recorded. If I can't have access to the recording, how can its existence possibly be a reason for me not to worry?"

"We don't share recordings with the public."

"Again, someone might want to tell Cyrus that. In any case, what can we do to get my Pre replaced. Is it within your power to authorized the store to swap it out?"

"No, it's not."

"Then how come when I called this morning, the representative I spoke with told me she could arrange it?"

"That's not something I can do. I could connect you with Tech Support, though, and they could arrange to send you a new one. But if in the opinion of our warehouse technician, there's nothing wrong with your old phone when we receive it, then there will be a $100 charge for an insurance claim."

"Wait a minute," I said. "The 'opinion of your warehouse technician'? How do I know this warehouse technician of yours will be any more honest or helpful than your store technician? If he says what the store tech said, then I won't even have the phone in-hand anymore to prove otherwise."

"They don't lie," she said. "If a phone is broken, they say it's broken."

Once again, it was clear I'd reached the end of the reasonable argument road. At this point, I'd been at this for almost six hours, and I just didn't have much energy left to keep trying. "Go ahead and transfer me to Tech Support," I said.

When the tech support rep picked up, I once again began to explain the situation, and prefaced it with "You're actually the sixth person I've spoken with today about this."

She interrupted me with what sounded to be a very sincere apology. It was very nice to hear, but mainly it served to underscore the fact that no one else at any time throughout this entire process had apologized even once before her. As I said, it seems almost no one at Sprint has much in the way of people skills. This woman should have been the rule, not the exception.

After I explained She went on to say, "This is actually pretty embarrassing for us. ANYONE can order a phone. There's no reason you should have had to go through all this."

I said, "Thank you. You're the first person all day to acknowledge that. I do appreciate it."

She took my order information for the replacement phone, but then said, "Now, it looks like we don't have any in stock..."

I politely interrupted her with "And let me guess. You don't know when you'll be getting more, right?"

"No, I don't."

So now we we'd come full circle, right back to where we were when all this started that morning. They can send me a new phone, but they have no idea when. It could be the next day, the next week, the next month, or it could be forever. All this while I know for a fact that they've got plenty on hand for sale. Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous.

I asked, "Before you place the order, Palm already agreed to send me a replacement, as well. I just thought it would be easier and faster to go through the store, which was what led to all this. If it turns out Palm can ship me one faster than you can, can we cancel this order?"

She said we could either cancel at any time before it's shipped, or I could just send the new phone right back without opening it. Either way would work. So I agreed to let her order it.

The following morning, I did two things. First, I called Palm to tell them to go ahead and ship me the advance replacement they had offered. I'm not wild about getting a refurb, but it's better than dealing with Sprint. The package will arrive Monday.

Second, I called my lawyer to inquire about filing a class action against Sprint. From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, this "forget the warranty, file an insurance claim" behavior of theirs seems to be systemic. That's not right, and something needs to be done about it. My lawyer agreed, but unfortunately he's not an expert in class actions. He's currently finding me someone who is. I'll post more information for anyone who may wish to join the class, once I've spoken with this expert.

That's the story, as best I can recall. As I said, I've never ever before encountered so much resistance to the honoring of a warranty from any company, for any product. Sprint's behavior is simply astonishing. Either they're the most blatantly dishonest company I've ever dealt with, or they're just so unfathomably incompetent that it simply doesn't occur to them how dishonest they appear.

Either way, I'm strongly considering canceling my service with them. As soon as the Pre is available on other carriers, I certainly will, if not sooner. Had this kind of experience happened with any other device, I would have canceled on the spot. But for the time being, I'm too addicted to the Pre to let Sprint's ugliness keep me from using it. As much as it pains me to keep giving them my money, it would pain me even more to give up the Pre.

Things may change, as other devices evolve to compete with the Pre, but for now, it seems I'm stuck. Palm, I hope you're paying attention. My loyalty to your product has won out over my new-found hatred for the carrier you chose, THIS TIME. You're going to have to work hard to maintain that into the future.
    Wow, I could have sworn you were talking about my ordeal with getting a replacement from Sprint. I experienced the same exact thing, only in my case, the technician and manager stood behind a glass window, and the manager never looked at me once! I've never experience customer service as bad as the Sprint Corporate stores.
    Wow, I could have sworn OP was talking about my ordeal with getting a replacement from Sprint. I experienced the same exact thing, only in my case, the technician and manager stood behind a glass window, and the manager never looked at me once! I've never experience customer service as bad as the Sprint Corporate stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Success100 View Post
    refurbs are normally good as new, you cant even tell the phone has been used. and the moajority of any refurbs at this point will be from 30 day exchanges since the phone has not been out that long
    Actually, you can tell if a phone has been refubed or not. You hit ##786# from your keyboard (I think that's the number), and it will give you some information on the phone, including the recondition/refurb status. There are also instances of phones being sent out as replacement that do not have the prevoius user's information erased off of it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I purchased my Pre the second week it was available. It was a good phone - just minimal slider wobble. After a few weeks, the wobble turned into the dreaded oreo twist that everyone complains about. And just like everyone else, I stopped at two different sprint stores where I was told that the wobble was normal. In one store, both techs took out their own phones to show me that they also had the same thing. After another week, the twist became even more pronounced. I took it back to the store I purchased it from. They finally admitted that it was unacceptable and ordered me a new one. A few days later, I received the new one in the mail and took it to the Sprint store to get assistance on activating it and transfering my data. Lo and behold, when we powered up the new phone, the keyboard refused to work! This was supposedly a "new" phone! The manager was completely befuddled and went to the back of the store. She returned and handed me a new phone (still in the box). To say the least, this phone feels completely different. There isn't a hint of a wobble and the display is fantastic. The slider is rock solid - both open and closed. I've had the phone for 3 weeks now and I'm holding my breath. I absolutely love the Pre.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    In your original post you said that sprint had offered to send you a replacement, a refurb, but that was not good enough for you?, so all you did was put yourself through this to waste your own and sprints time?

Should of ordered a replacement over the phone and you would of already got it by now.

Lawyers Ha ha!!!! good luck
    Last edited by sjjones; 08/10/2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Im now on my 3rd Pre. I had issues with my intial unit and went to get it fixed and it was pulling a signal and was draining battery. Only Issue was they gave me a Refurb, I go back a week later and made sure to see them open the box cut the film etc to make sure I got a new device and not a refurb since im in my 30 days....I got until 8/15/09 to be made sure on my final device lol
  8.    #28  
    Thanks for all the responses, so far, everyone. Some amazing stories here. Keep 'em coming. I only wish I had time to respond to them all individually.

Now, to continue the saga:

As promised, my replacement Pre from Palm arrived today. And unsurprisingly, there's still no word from Sprint as to when they'll no longer be "out of stock". Palm good, Sprint bad, no news there.

This replacement Pre is MUCH sturdier than my original. The slider feels totally solid. There's no flopping, and you'd really have to try hard to notice its almost nonexistent Oreo twist. Even the keyboard feels more rigid. Here's hoping it lasts.

It does have a handful of issues, though:

1. It's got even more light-bleed around the edges than the original. At least all the cracks go in straight lines this time, instead of jagged spiderwebs, so maybe I can call that an improvement?

2. There's some unevenness in the black levels on the screen. Whenever a dark image is displayed, such as the startup screen, there's a large splotch of purple-gray pixels near the right edge, visible from any angle but absolutely straight on. It's similar to how a soft laptop screen will look, temporarily, after pressing into it with a cloth to clean it, only it's not temporary.

3. The center button light is a totally different color from the original. The old one was bright white. This is more of a dull brown. Under-voltaged or failing LED, maybe?

I'll have to see over the next few days how much of an annoyance these things turn out to be. I suspect I can live with them, but either way, I'll keep using this thread to log what happens.

I notice it says "RECONDDATE --/--/----" and "RECONDSTATUS no" when I hit ##786#. Does that mean it's actually new, and not a refurb? Or does it just mean the info was wiped out when I did the full reset that turned out to be necessary in order to get it to activate? Just curious. Anyone know?

Oh, and I notice a few people seem to have misread a few points. Let me take a minute to try to clear up what I can:

@sjjones: It was not Sprint who had offered to send me the refurb; it was Palm. Sprint had at first offered me an in-store replacement for a brand new phone. Given the choice, which one would you have picked? Remember, at that point, I had no way of knowing yet that the store would ultimately refuse to honor that offer. So was my time wasted? In retrospect, yes, there can be no other way to describe it. But was it I who wasted it? No, absolutely not. That was all Sprint.

@map70: Palm actually did offer exactly what you suggested they should have. Had I been willing to be without my Pre for a few days, I could have shipped it to them, and they would have repaired or replaced it at no charge. But since I didn't want to be without it, advance replacement was the only viable option. The $29.95 fee is certainly debatable, but the credit card hold is perfectly reasonable. Lots of companies do CC holds for advance replacements. It's pretty standard.

@eddieck: It's not about revenge. It's about obtaining a satisfactory resolution for all involved. The most effective and peaceable way to do that I know of is to defer to the wisdom of the court. This is why judges have jobs, and lawyers are necessary in order to make the process happen. However, if you truly feel it would be more effective to stand out in the hot sun with a picket sign, go for it.
    Last edited by ABBlockhead; 08/10/2009 at 04:04 PM.
    ABBlockhead, I am glad you have some of it resolved. I know the CC hold is standard.. but did they offer overnight or just standard shipping?

I'd still grab a hold of a VP at sprint so you can voice your concerns....
  10.    #30  
    They only offered one shipping option, which was "within 2-3 business days". I placed the order Friday morning, and the package arrived Monday (today) afternoon. So they exceeded expectations in that regard.

Your suggestion to get hold of a Sprint VP is a good one. I will look into it.
    My...God...AB!! I thought my introductory 4 hour ordeal with Sprint was bad, but your's makes mine sound like I've just been handed a courtesy card (free whatever) at the local restaurant. I hope your next Pre comes with a stun setting! On second thought, forget stun. Set it for KILL!

You know me from another forum where I posted a little sketch of my Pre next to a vintage Western Electric phone. Thanks for introducing me to Pre|Central. It looks like a cool place here!
    I actually had quite a different experience on Saturday when I exchanged my Pre. Having gone through the nerve-wracking experience of replacing a Moto Q (even within the 30-day trial) a few years ago, I expected the worst from Sprint when trying to replace my month-old Pre.

This time around, I was unable to handle my equipment replacement within the 30 days, since I was out of town and unable to make it to a Sprint store. Needless to say, I expected a major hassle. My Pre was working well enough, but the slider gap and twisting problem had gotten progressively worse and it was clear that the device would not last 3 months, let alone 2 years.

Amazingly, the woman who sold me my Pre switched stores and now works at the nearby Sprint sales/repair center. I walked in the door and she recognized me immediately, leading me directly to her kiosk and allowing me to bypass the check-in counter. Within 30 seconds of showing her my phone, she recognized that the slider play was abnormal and sent it back to the techs with the strong suggestion that they replace the device on the spot. She also admitted to me, as others on this forum have pointed out, that Sprint technicians are not yet repairing the Pre.

About 20 minutes later, she walked out with a "new" Pre and began setting it up for me. After my profile synched, I entered the ##786# hash code and found that the device was a refurb and older (in terms of original build date) than the unit I was returning. There are very few brands that I trust with refurbs, and Palm's apparent quality control issues didn't lead me to believe that their refurbs would be any good. I could be totally wrong about that, but I didn't feel like taking the chance and having to spend successive Saturdays at the Sprint store.

When I mentioned my refurb misgivings to the sales rep, she said, "That's how we're replacing the Pres right now. If you have any problems with this unit, bring it back. If you still have problems after your third visit, we'll give you a new phone. Is that okay with you?"

To which I replied: "I guess it'll have to be okay. What are my options?"
    "Well, I could speak with my manager."
    "Would you? I don't want to inconvenience you, but if there's any chance I could get a new unit, I'd like to try."

5 minutes later, she came back with an unopened box, pulled out the Pre, and set it up. Brand new, build date of 7/30/09, and rock solid. Of course, my first Pre felt solid out of the box as well, so I'll reserve judgment until I've had time to break in the device.

I have no doubt that Sprint's customer service is uneven (and I've had my share of bad experiences in the past), but I would say without hesitation that the service I received on Saturday (and in June when I bought my first Pre from the same woman) was better than any customer service experience that I can recall -- whether Sprint or otherwise. I only hope that if I have to return Pre #2, the quality of service remains high.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the responses, so far, everyone. Some amazing stories here. Keep 'em coming. I only wish I had time to respond to them all individually.

Now, to continue the saga:

As promised, my replacement Pre from Palm arrived today. And unsurprisingly, there's still no word from Sprint as to when they'll no longer be "out of stock". Palm good, Sprint bad, no news there.

This replacement Pre is MUCH sturdier than my original. The slider feels totally solid. There's no flopping, and you'd really have to try hard to notice its almost nonexistent Oreo twist. Even the keyboard feels more rigid. Here's hoping it lasts.

It does have a handful of issues, though:

1. It's got even more light-bleed around the edges than the original. At least all the cracks go in straight lines this time, instead of jagged spiderwebs, so maybe I can call that an improvement?

2. There's some unevenness in the black levels on the screen. Whenever a dark image is displayed, such as the startup screen, there's a large splotch of purple-gray pixels near the right edge, visible from any angle but absolutely straight on. It's similar to how a soft laptop screen will look, temporarily, after pressing into it with a cloth to clean it, only it's not temporary.

3. The center button light is a totally different color from the original. The old one was bright white. This is more of a dull brown. Under-voltaged or failing LED, maybe?

I'll have to see over the next few days how much of an annoyance these things turn out to be. I suspect I can live with them, but either way, I'll keep using this thread to log what happens.

I notice it says "RECONDDATE --/--/----" and "RECONDSTATUS no" when I hit ##786#. Does that mean it's actually new, and not a refurb? Or does it just mean the info was wiped out when I did the full reset that turned out to be necessary in order to get it to activate? Just curious. Anyone know?

Oh, and I notice a few people seem to have misread a few points. Let me take a minute to try to clear up what I can:

@sjjones: It was not Sprint who had offered to send me the refurb; it was Palm. Sprint had at first offered me an in-store replacement for a brand new phone. Given the choice, which one would you have picked? Remember, at that point, I had no way of knowing yet that the store would ultimately refuse to honor that offer. So was my time wasted? In retrospect, yes, there can be no other way to describe it. But was it I who wasted it? No, absolutely not. That was all Sprint.

@map70: Palm actually did offer exactly what you suggested they should have. Had I been willing to be without my Pre for a few days, I could have shipped it to them, and they would have repaired or replaced it at no charge. But since I didn't want to be without it, advance replacement was the only viable option. The $29.95 fee is certainly debatable, but the credit card hold is perfectly reasonable. Lots of companies do CC holds for advance replacements. It's pretty standard.

@eddieck: It's not about revenge. It's about obtaining a satisfactory resolution for all involved. The most effective and peaceable way to do that I know of is to defer to the wisdom of the court. This is why judges have jobs, and lawyers are necessary in order to make the process happen. However, if you truly feel it would be more effective to stand out in the hot sun with a picket sign, go for it.
    I'm sorry maybe its me, I agree if a phone bad then we need to fix it...but it just seems were contemplating a bit much I mean, light colors to purple hues? I mean where do we draw the line...IDK maybe I don't have these issues but if I were a rep Id be lost in trying to help lol
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Customer Service is going to be based on the individual but think of this way, just because we are spending money etc, we all human and I always say treat people how you want to be treated, but ONE bad experience or many for that matter don't speak on the service level of the business as a hole, and keep in mind there are TWO sides to every story and we don't know what transpired unless we were there to see, people only negate negativity and generally never admit if they got smart with the person or etc,
    I have found it better to use Executive Services at Sprint to deal with issues. They tend to be more competent and will leave very detailed notes in your account. Anytime a regular CSR at Sprint sees that ES has been working with you, they tend to treat you nicely.

For example, when I upgrade in September, I will be able to get the Pre for $119 due to ES. I get a $50 credit for being a long term customer plus $30 for being a teacher. That's on top of my other Premier Customer credits.

Check out Sprintusers.com to get ES's number. I deal with them anytime I have an issue and they get it right 10/10 times. They are way better than retentions.
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Here's the long, and ugly saga, for those who may be interested. I'll pick up from where I left off in my first post........................ You're going to have to work hard to maintain that into the future.
    My experience with getting my Pre replaced was far less painful - but it may have because the problem was far more obvious (the touch screen stopped responding). However, the phone technician was somewhat rude, and the staff in the store was rather slow and lazy.

Frankly, I think this is what customer service has become. It's not just Sprint - other companies have had similar behavior. It really sucks, and unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be any alternatives except to deal with these **** heads.
  17. nrs
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I'm sorry maybe its me, I agree if a phone bad then we need to fix it...but it just seems were contemplating a bit much I mean, light colors to purple hues? I mean where do we draw the line...IDK maybe I don't have these issues but if I were a rep Id be lost in trying to help lol
    While I donít think itís of the utmost importance to be critiquing the exact color and hue of the ball I do think a certain amount of criticism is necessary. There are enough people who have similar enough problems to warrant some concern. Itís been eluded to previously but I think it bares repeating and clarification: If youíve had this many problems with a phone, with people returning twice and three times within the 30 days, whatís to say itís going to last another 30 days, 90 days, even a year when youíre next available for an upgrade and a new phone.

Youíre signing your self up for a 2 year contract here Ė and itís not so much that Iím concerned about the contract; I have to have a cell phone for work and donít foresee ever not having a cell phone, so the service, commitment and monthly price is always going to be there. My biggest beef is unless youíre wanting to fork over $600 for a phone, youíre stuck with what youíve got for at least a year. So you better get it right the first time.
  18.    #38  
    I said I'd continue to report, so here's a quick update. We're half way into day two with the replacement Pre, and it seems to be behaving itself nicely:

The slider is still nice and tight.

The black levels seem to be evening out on the screen. The discoloration I mentioned yesterday is much more faint now, significantly harder to notice. If the trend continues, it will (hopefully) disappear by tomorrow.

I've decided to ignore the light-bleed.

That just leaves the dimness of the center button light, which I'm just calling an oddity for now. While it does seem somehow to make the phone less pretty during use than the old one, it's not a showstopper, as long as it isn't indicative of a dying LED.

I'll continue to monitor closely for one more day, and if nothing changes, I'll pop my old Pre in the mail, back to Palm.

As before, thanks for all the comments, and especially for the stories. Please keep them coming.

A few replies:

@Obsidianeye: Welcome to the party. Glad you made it. I thought you'd enjoy this site.

@06Eph: It's nice to know it's not all bad out there. Thanks for sharing a positive story. It sounds like that woman you spoke of is one of the very few at Sprint who actually get that SERVICE is the key word in customer service. But as with that tech support rep I mentioned in my second post, it's tragic that people like that are so much the exception at Sprint, rather than the rule. It should absolutely be the other way around.

@bipoler: Perhaps my description of the black-level issue wasn't clear enough. If you'd seen it, I'm sure you'd agree it was pretty glaring. As I said, it's evening out as the screen is getting more and more use, but had it remained as it was, I'd be contemplating sending it back to Palm.

As for whether or not I "got smart" with anyone, I can assure you I didn't. You can choose whether you want to believe that or not, since as you said, you weren't there. But the bottom line is it doesn't matter whether I did or I didn't. Customer service personnel, especially at the managerial level, are supposed to be well trained in how to diffuse all manner of situations involving irate customers.

I've taught many a seminar on this. The very first, most cardinal rule is that the ruder the other person gets, the friendlier YOU get. As long as you handle yourself in a professional, courteous, and dignified manner throughout the process (and it IS a process), eventually the customer will calm down, often out of shear embarrassment once they realize that no one else is acting the way they are, and you'll be able to resolve the situation. In a strong organization, everyone who deals with the public, from the minimum wage part time retail clerk, to the full time salaried manager, to the 7-figure CEO, is trained on this concept.

With a few notable exceptions, Sprint personnel seem to be completely lacking in this regard. Even worse, if that in-store technician was any indication, some even appear actively to be trying to swing the pendulum the other way around, attempting to incite a customer to anger where no anger was previously demonstrated. There's no excuse for that.

@OklahomaTeacher: Thanks for the tip on Executive Services.

@InterGalacticSpaceHobo: Sorry to hear you sound so jaded. There are lots of companies out there, in all manner of industries, who treat their customers fairly, and with the respect they deserve. Bad service, although it gets far more press than good service, is the minority.

There are plenty of alternatives to just "dealing with these **** heads, as you put it. All evidence would suggest that in Sprint's case, the public has been exercising at least one of those alternatives, the option to leave, for some time now. There's a reason Sprint's been losing customers left and right for the past several years, and it's not because AT&T got the iPhone or because Verizon has better coverage. When people get treated badly, they take their business elsewhere.

Another alternative is the one I'm currently exploring, the class action. While rudeness certainly is not against the law, systemic refusal to honor written and/or implied warranties certainly is. As soon as it becomes less profitable to do the wrong thing than the right thing, any company will magically become more honorable.

@nrs: Well said.

EDIT: No sooner did I finish writing this post than did my doorbell ring. Guess what? It was the FedEx man with my "out of stock" replacement Pre from Sprint. That was quick.

Now I've got three Pres here to compare. I'll report back with my findings in determining which one to keep.
    Last edited by ABBlockhead; 08/11/2009 at 01:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    If your screen starts clicking again, please PM me.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Sprint can be anywhere from the most customer-friendly to the least. I have always had a good experience talking to the CSRs when calling customer service. I have also had a few good interactions with Sprint store reps. Lately, though, I have had worse experiences.

The repair shop where I am is called Ashtin Communications. This used to be a small shop with only 3 or 4 people working there. They had amazing customer service, and always got my issues resolved. The store has now been combined with a Sprint store. The people are much less friendly now. The first time I went there for my Pre, I was told simply that I was still within my 30 days and to take my Pre back to wherever I got it. I went back to the store where I purchased it, and was told 1) that my gap and oreo effect were normal, so I complained as well of my dead pixels. Then 2) I was told that I was on my 31st day. He said that he would stretch the rules and get me a new phone anyway.

This phone was having a crackling issue with the with the speaker (at the top f the phone). I went to the repair center the next day and walked up to the counter. There was a short conversation that was CLEARLY audible through the open door to the back:
    "there's someone at the counter... i don't want him, you take him"
    Then the girl from the day before walked out. I told her my problem and said that the Sprint store wouldn't exchange it because yesterday was my 31st day. She corrected me and said that it had been my 30th day. She told me to wait about 10 minutes and retreated to the back room. After about 15 minutes I asked her what they were doing and she replied that they were running diagnostics, and walked away.

Now this phone has stuck pixels, increasing oreo effect and a growing gap on the top left of the phone. I plan to return to the store this weekend. I found that I have a friend who works there, and I plan to deal with her on the matter. Hopefully I won't have any problems.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast