Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not quite sure what happened. My Pre was working fine this morning and later I pulled it out to make a phone call and the display turned low-res-black and white.

I tried some remedies.. hard reset, battery pull, interactive screen tests all to no avail.

Went to the sprint store and they took a look at it and said they'd have to order a Refurb for me.

any opinions?

Maybe the graphics processor went bad..

The Pre is so advanced that last night while you were asleep it time warped you back into 1950 before color displays were invented...

What I'm wondering is how you found a Sprint store in 1950??????
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

STOP PLAYING WITH PHOTOSHOP!!! Geeesh.

Um, yeah, no clue. I doubt however the Pre could travel back in time without the Flux Capacitor, which I have. So, that's out.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    That is weird, but kinda cool.
  5.    #5  
    Oh crap... you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    STOP PLAYING WITH PHOTOSHOP!!! Geeesh.

Um, yeah, no clue. I doubt however the Pre could travel back in time without the Flux Capacitor, which I have. So, that's out.
    you have the flux capacitor? So i just paid a $1,000 for what? A fricking old breakerbox with a few glowsticks attached. This is bs....

Last edited by mrloserpunk; 08/06/2009 at 08:10 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Have you by chance rooted your phone and messed around with things? It doesn't make any sense, but what I'd try if all else fails is run the web doctor, restore it. To do this, download the webOS web doctor here:

Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

You must have Java installed to run this. With your Pre off, hold the volume up button, and plug the USB cable into it and the PC. A large USB icon will display on the screen, and the webOS web doctor will do its thing. Hopefully this helps you out, I'm surprised it wasn't the first thing Sprint tried. Also, don't be afraid of a refurb, usually they are higher quality than the day 1 phones.
  8.    #8  
    Here's two more shots.

No, I have never rooted my Pre. The one I have now is a refurb because my first Pre's speaker stopped working. The Pre I had before that was the one I got opening day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    you have the flux capacitor? So i just paid a $1,000 for what? A fricking old breakerbox with a few glowsticks attach. This is bs....
    Maybe there are two??? OMG...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I've seen my screen do some type of weird Matrix like graphics once when I pulled it out of my pocket and turned it on, but I haven't seen it since. Not sure what would have happened, but how is the screen attached to the phone motherboard? A ribbon cable? I bet it just got jostled a bit in the connection socket and you're not getting all the contacts down.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Mine has gone lo-res a couple of times from doing a reset by holding the power and toggling the silence switch 3 times, but I've never seen black & white. I never use that method anymore.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    that's super weird... Have you tried WebOSDoctor?

Also, does the thing run any faster? You would think if it wasn't displaying color and was working at half the resolution of normal, the processor would be able to run a lot smoother...
    Gratz on making the homepage!!! (I guess...sucks you gotta get a replacement)

I would try doing a hard reset or WebDoctor

Good luck!
    Have you tried uninstalling Classic? (if you have it installed) Maybe it has messed with some "un-user-editable" graphics options.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i think it's unfair to get a refurb replacement model for something like this....i'd push for a brand new one.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
  16. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Frankly I think a refurb within your first 30 days is not cool at all. But whatever.

I hope you are getting a new one straight from Palm and I hope you get it ASAP, I assume you're sending that straight to Palm also.
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Does anybody suspect possibly it might be better to get a refurb than new?

I mean with a refurb possibly they've corrected issues, personally and by hand, that you might get with a fresh one out of the box.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by temperamentalman View Post
    Maybe there are two??? OMG...
    No, there can be only one. Clearly one of the flux capacitors is from our time line and one is from either the past or the future. Or both are. Or... *urhedesplode*
    Watch... in about 2 days everyone is going to wake up and only have black and white, that's what we get for forced updates!

LOL
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    that's super weird... Have you tried WebOSDoctor?

Also, does the thing run any faster? You would think if it wasn't displaying color and was working at half the resolution of normal, the processor would be able to run a lot smoother...
    I haven't tried WebOS Doctor yet.. Though, I think the sprint repair center tried that (it took them about 10-15 minutes in the backroom with my phone). I figure my issue is more of a hardware glitch than software.

I've been told that I'd get a replacement so I haven't really bothered trying any other "fixes" (though I can for sciences'/other forum members' sakes- let me know if you want me to).

The processor seems to be running the same speed as it did with normal color/resolution. So far from what I've read here in the forums, I think the best explanation is loose/faulty output pins on the graphics card..

..Maybe when my current (reconditioned) Pre was under the operating table they let a Pre-med student do the operation rather than a experienced MD and got some wires mixed up.

Lastly, even though I was an avid palm os/treo user, I do not have Classic installed.
    Last edited by BentEcho; 08/06/2009 at 07:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast