1.    #1  
    I did a search for this. I know it's been mentioned before, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me what the point of the locked screen is when you push the top right button. Why does it then ask you to slide up the lock icon? If there is no call or anything coming in, why would we need this feature. If the phone is in your pocket and you accidentally hit the screen on button, you can't press any buttons anyway without you actually touching the screen.

I know someone is going to make me look stupid with this, so bring it on.

Soup
    having the same problem - please help everyone! i love this phone...from the long walks on the beach to using my tongue on the touch screen - but the quirks are annoying!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I did a search for this. I know it's been mentioned before, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me what the point of the locked screen is when you push the top right button. Why does it then ask you to slide up the lock icon? If there is no call or anything coming in, why would we need this feature. If the phone is in your pocket and you accidentally hit the screen on button, you can't press any buttons anyway without you actually touching the screen.

I know someone is going to make me look stupid with this, so bring it on.

Soup
    I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone on “this” site complain about screens and keyboards locking. I for one would be disappointed if a Palm phone didn’t have a screen lock method especially on the Pre. How do you figure that things on the screen cant get hit if the phone is in your pocket or a case?
    Maybe they will enable the ability to turn it off like on the other Palm phones.

Joe
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I'm scratching my head too. I like having the screen locked when it's not in my hand and in control. It "can" "do things" when just laying in your pocket or picking it up etc. It's happened to me. I like the lock and can't see any reason it shouldn't be there.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone on “this” site complain about screens and keyboards locking. I for one would be disappointed if a Palm phone didn’t have a screen lock method especially on the Pre. How do you figure that things on the screen cant get hit if the phone is in your pocket or a case?
    Maybe they will enable the ability to turn it off like on the other Palm phones.

Joe
    the capacitive touch screen is why.
    For one thing, if you have an app active in the foreground (full screen) and it's in your pocket, then if it didn't lock, it would be quite easy to activate things like a speed dial (if the phone app is up) or to do something that might drain your battery like if the Music app is up, you might accidentally touch Play. A few hours later you battery could very well be dead.
  7.    #7  
    The thing I don't seem to understand when you say accidentally touch, you mean with actual skin right? In which case, you should be aware that yoir skin touched the screen.
    The thing I don't seem to understand when you say accidentally touch, you mean with actual skin right? In which case, you should be aware that yoir skin touched the screen.
    skin flute maybe...thats what i use
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowork View Post
    skin flute maybe...thats what i use
    I've dialed my girlfriend that way many a time
    Well, sometimes you can activate the touch sensors with skin covered by thin fabric. Try putting a thin t-shirt over your finger: you'll still be able to operate the screen somewhat. If the Pre is in your pocket, and the screen is facing your leg, your leg might interact with the screen through the fabric of your pocket.

Or, if it's on when you take it out of your pocket, you might accidentally touch something with your hand.

Point is that there are lots of ways to accidentally do something. The lock is necessary.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Lock is very necessary!!!!!!!! Don't need to dial my last number by accident nor do I need various apps on cards being accidentally refreshed and killing my battery.
    I've dialed my girlfriend that way many a time
    haha...play ON playa! sadly, im starting to like this phone better than my girlfriend...and my job! thinking about dialing everyone that way!