1.    #1  
    Whats going on? Barely no interesting news. No new programs, No amazing updates, etc.

The homebrew apps are amazing, but honestly, you can even see a slowdown in that aspect. Honestly, I've been working on a app for a drink mixing directory, but its just taking me too long and I haven't found the time to finish. Thats my excuse haha, but honestly, I hope this doesn't turn into a Samsung Instinct, which I highly doubt, but Sprint and Palm have been KNOWN to drop the ball on several aspects.

I know I know, 2-3months Apps are COMING.. But in todays age, palm got in it late... They are expected to have an robust app store immediately. Unfortunate, yes, but its what the consumer demands. People like updates, they feel that their product is worth more when they are being taken care of.

The more press, the better and Palms press has been dismal at best. WebOS 1.1 is okay, but nothing spectacular for the normal end user. They need to blow out something soon, or people who are interested in the future, may see this as a continuing problem with Palm.

Why would someone in Canada purchase a Palm Pre when they see no good news, no new apps nothing! Why would anyone, for that matter, trust that Palm will push forward.

We are leaving too much in Palm's hands. Are we going to see low level access to the Palm OS? Or are we stuck with basic web apps? Its all up in the air right now and Developers are backing off because the Flash is wearing off.

If we do get an updated App store in, lets say, 3 months. The device will be 5-6 months OLD. Thats OLD in technology terms.

Palm needs to lay out some must needed facts.
    -Will we get low level access to the OS, so developers can create intensive applications, using the full power of the hardware.
    -When will the app store exit beta stages?
    -Will there be updates to the OS that are needed, such as C/P, etc.

Developers PLAN AHEAD, so if Palm isn't going to announce this, we may never see an intensive app for 6-8months!!!

I understand apple took a year, but they also introduced a robust app store. They kept updates and developers were allowed to pump out some apps at the time. They also were basically the pioneer to all of this, thus a year isn't bad. We are stuck in a gray zone of homebrew or no new apps.

Am I the only one that doesn't completely get Palm's Marketing here? Do they want to excite people, or bore them?
    Personally, between the official app store and the new homebrew app store, I think there's a pretty good selection of apps. Yeah, apple has thousands, but there's a lot of crap there ... I mean, how many fart apps do you need 8^). Add in Classic which lets me keep my favorite PalmOS stuff (a couple of games, a dictionary, an eReader) and I'm not lacking much at all (maybe a good full-page eReader).

Now I'm not a huge game player, so I don't care too much about that. And I'm not sure Palm does either ... seems like they're targeting more business types. But right now my Pre is pretty full with most of the apps I want.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Its been 2 months and just yesterday a homebrew app gallery is released making getting homebrew apps very easy, that's not slowing down to me imo the community has been moving extremely fast.
    I agree its been great but it does seem that allot of apps now are just being updated in homebrew, nothing new is really being released.
  5.    #5  
    Yes homebrew is great, but its not for the average cellular user. Some people don't have the patience to deal w/ the process to get the first app on, to open the door for the others.

I'm talking Stock Palm here. It doesn't just have to do with apps. Its just Palm in general. They have become a ghost town lately and the news proves it. They need to really up their game right now.
    Last edited by tntsniper; 08/06/2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    lol

OP should change his username to Chicken Little
    Does my nose detect the smell of Steve "Blows" Jobs fanboi?

Fact is, this phone, even at this precise second blows away it's competition. Apps will come once developers see how easy it is to develop their apps. My intuition is telling me that by the end of the year we will have MORE than enough apps. Have some patience bro, this is not the Instinct Part 2. I think that the reason you are not seeing nearly as much advertising about Pre is because they really dumped too much money into the Instink campaign.
    From a person that has now had 3 phones in the past year (Instinct, Touch Diamond, and Pre) the pre outclasses the others in every single way.
    Stick it out with us and I am sure you won't be disappointed.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Lol?
    Homebrew is speeding up like no other.

I still remember the post where Dieter said we have 1-2 more apps than the App Catalog, which was around 32.

Now we're at 120'ish Homebrew Apps, and they're growing and updating by the minute.

1. Rapidly increasing Homebrew Apps
    2. Rapidly increasing Homebrew App Updates
    3. Homebrew App Gallery released yesterday
    4. Along with the App Gallery is the easiest way to install Homebrew apps. To be honest, people with minimal computer knowledge have really no excuse not to Homebrew.
    5. We even have this guy making icons for homebrew applications, making some homebrew Apps look just as, if not more, professional than App Catalog Applications.
    6. The 2 months Palm Pre has been out, there have been 5 updates? (My sister, with her iphone, said there have been very few updates throughout the year).
    7. DevCamp is around the corner. Lisa (from the PalmCast) said that there will be contests for best applications. These contests should increase the quality of Applications.
    8. The creepy commercials are causing quite a stir.
    9. Palm/Apple mouse game is also causing quite a stir.
    10. Live Palmcasts every Monday (started this last past Monday)
    11. www.Precentral.net has had 7 news updates in the last 2 days.

What more do you want?

To be honest, I think you've strayed too far from this website. Palm itself hasn't released an update, so it seems like you want to post complaining about something.
    Last edited by Kedar; 08/06/2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Only thing at a halt is the App Catalog.

BUT THAT'S A BIG THING. We can talk homebrew all we like, but it's not like each of 300-500K Pre users trots over to PreCentral.net after they finish setting up their Palm profile.

Yes, Apple's App Store is chock full of junk no one will ever use, but it is CHOCK FULL. The App Catalog is a ghost town, and it has been for some time. I don't pretend to know the behind-the-scenes mechanics of setting up the App Catalog for payment, but that needs to be THE number one priority right now. I know it took Google almost five months to do it (from the launch of the G1), but they could afford the luxury. Palm and Sprint need that sales shot in the arm now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post

Fact is, this phone, even at this precise second blows away it's competition. ...

From a person that has now had 3 phones in the past year (Instinct, Touch Diamond, and Pre) the pre outclasses the others in every single way.
    3 phones perhaps but not three good phones. The Pre will of course seem to blow away the competition if all you compare it to is those other phones you had. As for Steve Jobs, you seem to have forgotten that the people who designed the Pre and WebOS used to work for him. The Pre has more Apple DNA than any phone other than the iPhone.
    Palm is catering to two different groups. Homebrew friendly(which less face it, isn't hard to use), and the average joe. They are also busy improving QC, prepping webOS updates, and launching around the world. The honest truth is Palm can't focus the majority of its efforts on just us hardcore early adopters. This is why they let us do what we're doing, with homebrew and beyond.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    3 phones perhaps but not three good phones. The Pre will of course seem to blow away the competition if all you compare it to is those other phones you had. As for Steve Jobs, you seem to have forgotten that the people who designed the Pre and WebOS used to work for him. The Pre has more Apple DNA than any phone other than the iPhone.
    Man don't put down the Touch Diamond. It had some awsome hardware. Best mobile phone screen I've had so far. Too bad it was encumbered with windows mobile. I had some custom roms that had that Diamond running quite well, and the amount of apps for it trumps even what apple has available.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post

Fact is, this phone, even at this precise second blows away it's competition. Apps will come once developers see how easy it is to develop their apps. My intuition is telling me that by the end of the year we will have MORE than enough apps. Have some patience bro, this is not the Instinct Part 2. I think that the reason you are not seeing nearly as much advertising about Pre is because they really dumped too much money into the Instink campaign.
    I'm def sticking it out, but I'm not a "fanboi" of apple at all. I own one product of apple and thats the iTouch. Which I barely use. I'm just saying, the app store has become a desert wasteland. The couple apps added aren't much, other then that, it hasn't been updated in a while.

Whats up with the "Chicken Little" Comment? Not sure I get that one.

I'm just saying, I'm all about press. I'm in marketing. This changes my POV on every product I purchase. I always look at different aspects of a product and what they are doing right/wrong.

I do understand Palm has some press out there. Its viral press IMHO. They put out terrible commercials and bounce it as if they meant it that way. They have the itunes boxing match, which is fun and a great read for us nerds, but is it really hitting the average user? Is the average user going "OMG that commercial is creepy, but its okay, I'll buy the product anyways".. I doubt it.

My friend saw the commercial for Palm, she knew I had a pre and said "Whats up with those creepy commercials? They annoy me". Not good.
    Last edited by tntsniper; 08/06/2009 at 12:58 PM.
    I wouldn't dog the Instinct S30 either. Had it before the Pre, and it was a snappy, scrappy little phone. Voice command and Windows Live Search worked great on it. All it needed was a touchscreen-centric version of Pandora (it used the BREW one which was lame and meant for non-touchscreen phones) and a WebKit browser with good zoom functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Man don't put down the Touch Diamond. It had some awsome hardware. Best mobile phone screen I've had so far. Too bad it was encumbered with windows mobile. I had some custom roms that had that Diamond running quite well, and the amount of apps for it trumps even what apple has available.
    Things I don't like about the Touch Diamond

1) The lack of a 3.5mm jack (thanks HTC)
    2) HTC's attempt to slather lipstick on the WM pig.
    3) The lack of a keyboard
    4) The brick like form factor.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    lol

OP should change his username to Chicken Little
    Even if they don't, I do get it.

The big update was less than 2 weeks ago. The phone has been out for about 2 months and just recently inventory caught up.

I could say......."man, if Palm doesn't get off their a$$ and have a new update within 3 years, the Pre is toast." While that would be true, well, it would be plain goofy to say state the extreme obvious.

And yet we/people get excited and reply endlessly to threads like this.
    If 5-6 months is old in technology terms, then the iPhone was ancient when the app store was official...

Don't forget, the Palm Pre is a NEW device. It even has a new OS, something Palm had to build from the ground up. WinMo is getting a marketplace, but WinMo has been around for YEARS. Palm has been trying to release features that will please everyone, but people are making that hard for Palm.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive