Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I have had the issue of alarms not going off a couple times right after an OS update. Deleting and re-creating the alarms solved this issue for me.

What's new with 1.4.x though was that I used to be able to snooze the alarm with the center button - now it's unreliable (overslept a few times so I don't do it anymore). Bummer.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I've posted before, but feel the need to do it again.

I've had my Pre since October, and use the Alarm clock daily, mostly more than once a day. Not once has it not gone off. Not ONCE. It's 100% reliable like a rock.

Have any of you with problems ever used webOS doctor? Or the Repair Utility? Or are you of the opinion that "Palm needs to make sure that everything works perfectly all the time even on devices that they have no power over once they're out of the factory hall, even on devices that you can do things to that would send Steve Jobs running screaming for the hills, and giving their users a foolproof, painless recovery utility absolutely free of charge is not enough as I want to be required to send my phone in for every little problem, or at least bicth about it on the Internet without actually doing something about it".

Because it seems like a lot of Palm users hate the freedom of being able to use webOS doctor because it's too big a hassle for them to be able to care for their own device, while I'm sure other platform users would love to have that option.

I don't know what's causing the clock app not to sound off your alarms. All I know is that everybody with a Pre that I know personally (five people now, anecdotal, I know) has never had that problem, and you're in the small minority. The bug you're having sucks, there's nothing else to it. But if you haven't doctored to see whether the problem goes away, it's really hard to feel compassion.

This only goes for people who actually didn't doctor since getting this problem. If you've had it, and it persisted after doctoring, you're exempt from this post and should talk to your provider about getting a warranty replacement. Or post some more, I dunno.

I would have agreed with you up until this morning. Both me and my husband have the Pre, and they had both been going off no incident, but then BOTH decided to not go off this morning. We didn't tamper with them, didn't add or delete anything since the last time the alarm went off, and didn't update anything. The alarm just stopped working.

My husband really did NOT like his Pre before, but now he'll probably be going to get a new phone for making him late for work...
  3. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    this alarm business is totally ruining my life right now*.

i purchased 2 alarm apps after my Pre alarm stopped functioning correctly (i'd set 4 alarms for 5 minute intervals, and HOPE AGAINST HOPE that one of them would go off.)

first Timepiece came up with an "Expired" error scene, which meant i had to delete the app and reinstall (which erased all my alarm settings). This worked twice, and after that even a fresh install won't work. the dev said they are waiting for the new version to get pushed through to the app catalog to correct this.

so i got World Time Pro and even on the first day no alarm sounded. I contacted this dev who informed me that something in the 1.4.xx updates is screwing with how long certain things can stay in memory on webOS, and they are trying to come up with a work around, and that palm hopes to have a solution in v1.5+.

but basically, it's becoming impossible to use my phone to get to work on time, and that totally sucks, because i never unpacked my real alarm clock when i moved into the place i'm living now. after 10 months, i have no idea where it is. i'm already out $3 in apps to replace what should have worked on the phone itself. that's really frustrating.

*not really ruining my life.
    This has been happening for the last 4 days for my wife. It happened for me today. I'm in the process of taking my phone back to be repaired/replaced for another issue. I'm going to doctor my wifes phone to see if that fixes it. I want to get rid of a bunch of files off her phone. Maybe it will help. It's irritating for me, but my wife is really ticked off about it. She's hiding how really ticked off she is that I made her get the Pre. I used to love this phone, but the problems I have had since November have me almost at the brink of throwing it at the wall. I loved it at first, but now I think it's a POS.
    My gf and mine Pre's have missed alarms before. Most of the time it works, but it sucks when it doesn't.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I set a reminder in the calendar so I could remember to record a show. The alarm never went off. Lucky for me I remembered to get the DVR set anyways, but its a scary thought that it could have been something important I missed.
    Thanks to this thread, I've finally fixed the blank alarm icon!!!
    1. Delete all alarms.
    2. Create a new alarm (one of your previous alarms appears).
    3. Create another new alarm (a brand new alarm for 8 am should appear).
    4. Delete 1st alarm.
    5. All alarm icons/ notifications should now display the alarm time!
    All who are having problems with alarms not going off as they are supposed to, try the PowerNap app in the app catalog. Fortunately, that app has never failed me!
    **** pre. Seriously worst phone I have ever used and that includes 20$ tracphones **** U PALM U ****ING *******!!!!
    1. Issue: Alarm goes off visually, but there is no sound.

Cause: On many Pre’s, if you use the headphone jack, sometime the phone does not recognize that the headphone has been disconnected.

Note: This causes the phone to think all sound is going out the headphone jack instead of the speakers. This issue also causes the problem of an incoming call where you cannot hear them and they cannot hear you (quickly switch to speaker phone when this happens).

The Fixes:
    1. Rapidly insert and remove the headphone plug from the jack multiple times until the phone recognizes that it has been removed. (Comment – This fix has never worked for me.)
    2. Shutdown the phone and remove the battery. Put alcohol on a Q-Tip and clean the inside of the headphone jack. Caution! Do this at your own risk as putting liquid inside your phone could damage it. (Comment – This fix has never worked for me.)
    3. Take your phone in to have the headphone jack replaced. (Comment – This fix DID worked for me.) Note: I have the monthly maintenance plan, so this cost me nothing but time and gas money. I do not know what it would cost without that plan.

2. Issue: Alarm goes off visually, but the sound is not as loud as normal.

Cause 1: The phone is muted.
    Fix 1: Un-mute the phone using the slide button at the top right of the Pre.

Cause 2: The volume is turned way down.
    Fix 2: Increase the phone’s volume using the upper button on the left side of the Pre.

3. Issue: Alarm does not go off at the time specified.
    The Scenario: You know that you’ve set an alarm for 10am and you look at a clock and see that it is 10:09am, so you press the power button on the phone to see what’s going on. As the phone’s screen displays, you notice that the time on the phone is 9:48am (wrong), but quickly changes to 10:09am (correct), soon followed by the alarm going off.

Cause: The phone’s time is not getting updated at a reasonable interval, preferably “at least” once per minute.

The Fix: Unknown, but there are workarounds for this issue.
    1. Workaround 1: Dock the phone on a charging stone. While on the stone, the time is always displayed and is constantly updated, and your alarm will go off at its correct time. (Comment – I use my Pre Alarm every morning to get up for work. This method has NEVER failed me.)
    2. Workaround 2: Turn “Network Time” off and let the phone keeps its own time during the period you NEED the alarm to go off. This can be done from the Launcher on the third page using the “Date & Time” application.
      Note: This method will keep the clock constantly updated and your alarm will go off on time (give or take), however, the Pre is horrible at keeping its own time. For example, my Pre will gain or lose about 5 to 15 minutes per 24 hour period while off Network time.

4. Issue: Alarm goes off, but not at the time specified (always late).

Cause: The phone’s time is not getting updated at a reasonable interval, preferably “at least” once per minute. (Same issue as #3.)

The Fix: Unknown, but there are workarounds for this issue. (See #3’s workarounds.)

5. Issue: Alarms are set, but they keep disappearing on their own.
    The Scenario: You create four alarms on your phone, a daily wakeup, an early wakeup, a late wakeup and an evening alarm. You use these alarms for weeks without issue, then one weekend you decide to turn off your daily alarm and sleep in, and the next day they are all gone.

Cause: It appears that if any alarm is on/active, then the Alarm Clock application will remember all alarms, including those that are not active. However, if all alarms are off/deactivated, then the application seems to decide that all of the alarms are no longer needed and deletes them.

The Fix: Unknown, but there is a workaround for this issue.
    Workaround: Always have at least one active alarm and all alarms will be retained. (Comment – I have my wakeup alarm as a Daily alarm, including weekends. On the weekend, when the alarm sounds, I just reach over and shut it off and I go right back to sleep.)

Additional Info about my Pre: Yes, I have Homebrew apps/mods on my Pre. I have two mods on my Alarm Clock app; 1) Allows me to pick my snooze duration, and 2) Displays the Alarm page instead of the Clock page when the Alarm Clock app is opened. However, I know two other people that have had some of my same issues that have not made any modifications to there Pre, so I have not been convinced that the mods that I have are part of the cause. But as always, mod at your own risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Paranoid View Post
    [
    5. Issue: Alarms are set, but they keep disappearing on their own.
    The Scenario: You create four alarms on your phone, a daily wakeup, an early wakeup, a late wakeup and an evening alarm. You use these alarms for weeks without issue, then one weekend you decide to turn off your daily alarm and sleep in, and the next day they are all gone.

Cause: It appears that if any alarm is on/active, then the Alarm Clock application will remember all alarms, including those that are not active. However, if all alarms are off/deactivated, then the application seems to decide that all of the alarms are no longer needed and deletes them.

The Fix: Unknown, but there is a workaround for this issue.
    Workaround: Always have at least one active alarm and all alarms will be retained. (Comment – I have my wakeup alarm as a Daily alarm, including weekends. On the weekend, when the alarm sounds, I just reach over and shut it off and I go right back to sleep.)
    I would just add that it seems like the Cause: for the Alarm's disappearing is if the Alarm notification is cleared from the bottom of the screen. At least that is the repeatable test on my VZW Pre2 webos 2.1
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567