Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If the Sprint phone you have (the busted one) was new and not refurbished. Then Sprint or Palm should replace it without a $35 fee because the warranty is for the device not the user.

Now if Sprint wants to give you a refurb phone take it (its their choice). In my opinion, a refurb phone can be better than a new phone when the new phones are still so new.

If you have problems with the refurb phone explain it to the manager that you tried it their way and it did not work out for you. They are more likely to get you a new phone down the road if you continue to have problems with a phone refurb or new that they issued you.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    If the Sprint phone you have (the busted one) was new and not refurbished. Then Sprint or Palm should replace it without a $35 fee because the warranty is for the device not the user.

Now if Sprint wants to give you a refurb phone take it (its their choice). In my opinion, a refurb phone can be better than a new phone when the new phones are still so new.

If you have problems with the refurb phone explain it to the manager that you tried it their way and it did not work out for you. They are more likely to get you a new phone down the road if you continue to have problems with a phone refurb or new that they issued you.
    He doesn't have "Sprint phone". He has a phone bought from a seller on eBay. And apparently for some reason, the warranty goes into effect in the future.

If he bought from an authorized Sprint retailer, he should have no problem with Sprint. If not, if he bought through an authorized Palm channel, he has Palm also. If neither, he has a phone to do with what he wishes.
    Last year I dropped my HTC Touch that I bought from someone off craigslist.... cracked the screen making it unusable. Brought it in to the sprint store and they replaced it with no questions! granted I did have the TEP
    Question for jdegroot01 : If you would of bought it at Radio Shack or BestBuy...would you of gone back to them or would you still have gone to the Sprint Store?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdegroot01 View Post
    I was so pissed I stormed out of the store and was going to go the insurance route rather than deal with a non customer service oriented ***** who could care less. The fact that he said the huge gap was normal and even went into the back room to ask his tech if it was normal insulted me. When he walked back into the room he said this is normal it just happens to these phones. Three stores later I was stuck in the same place a damn waste of time. When I called sprint it was even worse. They said the store could not replace the phone and that I had to go get in touch with the merchant I bought the phone from on Ebay. I asked if I had any other option and they said sorry.

Three years of paying 110.00 a month and they treat me like I am worthless.

Do you think I will get a refurb with a warranty claim? Do I need to call Sprint or can I just go to a store and demand a new phone?

You can't go to a Sprint store and DEMAND anything! You didn't buy the phone from them.

I never cease to be amazed at the sense of entitlement people have these days. You didn't buy the phone from Sprint, but expect them to treat you as if you had. If you bought a book at Borders, would you expect to be able to return it to Barnes & Noble? Do you think Best Buy would accept for replacement a computer you bought at Wal-Mart? Give me an effin' break!

Sprint is going way beyond any obligation they have. The warranty on your phone is through Palm, not Sprint. You made that decision, not Sprint. You chose to save a few bucks by not getting it from Sprint, so if you don't want to pay the $35 just send it back to Palm.

You just think you should be able to have your cake and eat it, too. Sorry, life's not like that most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by triathlet3 View Post
    Last year I dropped my HTC Touch that I bought from someone off craigslist.... cracked the screen making it unusable. Brought it in to the sprint store and they replaced it with no questions! granted I did have the TEP
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakePre View Post
    I've done the same thing, but successfully. Bought mine off of eBay. There were numerous mfg. defects. Took it to a Sprint store, told them the situation and since I had the TEP it covered all mfg. defects and they ordered me a new phone.
    Which means Sprint didn't really replace it, Assurian did. The Sprint store simply acted as an agent in that exchange.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 08/06/2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I would go with the sprint deal because if the refurb goes bad, sprint will back it since it was their replacement. Your ebay phone blows up tomorrow you'll be left with a nice paperweight. Not sure why there is a question. You bought wholesale to get a savings. I bought a car off ebay and it was a lemon. I wouldn't go to chryler and demand a replacement. Not trying to be harsh really but 35.00 for a replacement is a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Which means Sprint didn't really replace it, Assurian did. The Sprint store simply acted as an agent in that exchange.
    Not necessarily. TEP used to mean Sprint would also handle warranty claims with the manufacturer on your behalf. Now they offer this service to everyone. It only goes through Assurion if they're paying the $100 deductible.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    It's possible he won't post anything going forward. We really were/have beat him silly over this.

But hey, sometimes tough just works.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    It's possible he won't post anything going forward. We really were/have beat him silly over this.

But hey, sometimes tough just works.
    Well he does deserve it. I completely am on the same page with THETRUTH about being sick of people's sense of entitlement.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Not necessarily. TEP used to mean Sprint would also handle warranty claims with the manufacturer on your behalf. Now they offer this service to everyone. It only goes through Assurion if they're paying the $100 deductible.
    I actually called Sprint C.S. before going to the store also, and they recommended since I had the TEP to go to a Sprint store because I could get a replacement quicker, possibly on spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakePre View Post
    I actually called Sprint C.S. before going to the store also, and they recommended since I had the TEP to go to a Sprint store because I could get a replacement quicker, possibly on spot.
    It used to be that way. The policy has changed that any manufacturer warranty claim can be handled at the store for any sprint customer regardless of TEP or not.

I know I've posted this multiple times but it's still relevant. http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-warranty-changes-better
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    He doesn't have "Sprint phone". He has a phone bought from a seller on eBay. And apparently for some reason, the warranty goes into effect in the future.

If he bought from an authorized Sprint retailer, he should have no problem with Sprint. If not, if he bought through an authorized Palm channel, he has Palm also. If neither, he has a phone to do with what he wishes.
    What you are saying makes sense and should be the way things work, but what commonly happens is that the user does not really have the option of doing what he wishes.

I think the OP is experiencing a common issue that has become one of the reasons that the FCC and various state consumer agencies are looking into the relationship that service providers have with the manufacturers of phones. The end user in this case should either expect that the sole service provider (Sprint) exercise their colaborative support agreement with Palm to honor the warranty, or remove themselves completely from the product support loop and allow the user to truly do as he wishes (use the phone on another carrier).

I guess what you are saying makes sense, but Sprint should not be able to pick and choose when it is convenient for them to claim it is a Sprint phone.
    Thank you
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    What you are saying makes sense and should be the way things work, but what commonly happens is that the user does not really have the option of doing what he wishes.
    Yes he does have the option to do what "he" wishes. We always have the choice to do what we want. What we can't do is tell someone else what they must do for us. In this case, Sprint or Palm. Although, he should be going to Palm for a solution even though they may still have the latitude to pass.

I think the OP is experiencing a common issue that has become one of the reasons that the FCC and various state consumer agencies are looking into the relationship that service providers have with the manufacturers of phones. The end user in this case should either expect that the sole service provider (Sprint) exercise their colaborative support agreement with Palm to honor the warranty, or remove themselves completely from the product support loop and allow the user to truly do as he wishes (use the phone on another carrier).

I guess what you are saying makes sense, but Sprint should not be able to pick and choose when it is convenient for them to claim it is a Sprint phone.
    They aren't. Sprint didn't sell the phone therefore Sprint has no obligation unless Palm authorizes them to act as their agent or it's part of their agreement. But to buy a Pre from some unknown eBay seller and expect someone else to burden a cost? He needs to go back to the seller who does have an obligation unless the agreed to terms of the sale are otherwise.

Why is this even still relevant? It appears he's already jumped ship.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12