1.    #1  
    Let me start off by saying I love this phone. I even accepted it with its faults (slight oreo effect and i already cracked the case). I thought "whatever. i can survive.". This this morning on the subway I noticed my touch screen wasnt working. "I'll reset it" i thought. Unfortunately you cant power down if you dont have a touch screen (hope they fix that). So i went to the sprint store later, she pops out the battery and resets it and its fine. horray.

Its fine all day until I get home. Same issue. I reset the battery. This time, the screen isnt working anymore. Then i figured "well, it started working after i reset it, must be a software issue. I'll use webos doctor".

Half way through doing that, it craps out and i said "uh oh". Mind you, Ive had the phone for just under 2 months now and out of my 30 day return limit AND i rule so i didnt get the warranty.

So I decided I would try to get it taken care of at radio shack. I was fully ready to make a scene there too for selling me a phone that dies in under 2 months and not giving me a new one right aware. I go there, wait a few minutes for someone and just give him the hard look and say "hi. my pre is broken. The touch screen is totally dead." while poking at it so he knows im not going crazy.

He takes it and says 'hmmmm...' and i thought 'alrlight here we go. lemme put my game face on.' then he says "okay, lemme get you another one."

HOLY ****!

then he said 'you have your receipt with you?' (which i did) and expected the 'err.. youre out of the 30 days' and

he said 'alright cool... ' then says 'oh wait!'

"there it is! now he is gonna complain!"

'do you still have the box?? that will make this a lot easier?' thank god i live down the street and still had the box. so i went home, got it and 5 minutes later I had a brand new pre. he even gave me the extra set of headphones! kept the charger though hehe.

I am extremely pleased with the way it was handled. I asked if they have been getting a lot of returns, assuming thats why and they were told not to be bothered with it. he said a few here and there but not a lot. I was really shocked and couldnt believe radio shack did that for me.

I normally hang around on the developer portion of these forums, but I just wanted to share my experience with you. Make sure you keep your box too!
    http:/www.codeofdoom.com/wordpress

Five or More for the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi
    I wish that Best Buy had just given me a new phone when I came in with my Pre that just would not turn on...

Enjoy your new pre.

BTW, what is your warranty date (manufacture date)?
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
  3.    #3  
    i believe its 1 year.
    http:/www.codeofdoom.com/wordpress

Five or More for the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi
    For the future, you can reset the phone with out touch screen, Orange+Sym+R button will reset the pre.
    My experience with the Sprint kiosk in the mall:

The day that the Pre came out, I either went or called (don't remember which) to see if I could get one. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for years (almost 11?), but they told me that, unfortunately, they had been instructed by their manager that they could only sell Pre's to new customers.

I was disappointed, but I wasn't unhappy with my Centro. I was just looking for something that was more versatile.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the Sprint kiosk, asking if I was still interested in the Pre. I said that I was, and they said that they had just been given permission to sell them to existing customers, too. I said that I was, and went down to pick one up.

Had a bit of a problem getting all of my old data updated - but after about a week, I managed to get PocketMirror working correctly (after the update) and was glad to have all of my calendar events back on. I also got my work database (about 400 clients) back on, and was pleased with the ability to look somebody up and either phone them, SMS them, or get a GPS to their address. I also liked the Apps that came on the App Catalog, but spent WAY too much time going back to it (every night, every morning, every free second), just hoping to find a new app waiting for me to download! (Ah, the sweet naivete of an early Pre owner!)

I liked the Pre, but I missed some things - my Bible program, voice dial, Mileage tracker, and a whole bunch of games. I tried the Classic app, but it didn't run things like I wanted. (a lot of lag time, some programs wouldn't work, and my fingers kept hitting the gesture area and exiting) I was getting a bit disillusioned, plus the fact that I noticed that there was what I called "light leakage" or something like that along the bottom of the screen. It was like whitish or yellowish stains, where something looked to have bled through. It didn't make the phone unusable, but it was irritating.

I got together all of my paperwork and headed to the Sprint kiosk with trepidation. (I had been there previously in the week, trying to get some help with sync'ing my calendar/etc. A couple of the things that they tried worked, and they were overall very polite and trying to do their job well.) I approached them with my issue, and they couldn't see what I was talking about (since the kiosk was right under the skylight, and it was VERY bright in there). But eventually they saw it, and immediately offered a replacement.

They connected my old Pre to their computers and did the backup stuff, then my new one. Just about everything seemed to transfer over, so I was satisfied. (I asked if I should erase the old Pre info, and they assured me that it would be done on their end. I hope it was! Not anything life-critical, but still, private info.) The only thing I noticed about the new Pre was that it had one "live" pixel (not dead, because it is always white!)

But the saving grace, the thing that made me decide to keep my Pre, was when I in desperation did a Google search for "Pre hacks" and "Pre Apps". What did I find but two sites dedicated to Pre lovers? The first one I logged onto seemed to have a lot of interest, but it was the second one that suddenly made me feel at home. It was called "PreCentral Forums", and I discovered the universe of Homebrews! Suddenly I was able to start using my phone in ways that I had wanted to since the beginning, and a couple of ways that I had never imagined! I discover Developer's Mode, WebOs Quickinstall, and even some people who shared my enthusiasm for the Pre!

Yes, I made a few mistakes along the way (luckily nothing bad enough to brick the phone), but overall, I am quite happy now and looking forward to being a positive part of this society. Sprint has done well by me, the Pre is coming along well, and thanks to you guys (and gals) out there, this is becoming what I need it to be.
    Fisack23, when you got your replacement Pre, how did PocketMirror work to get the contacts and calendar events back onto your Pre? Did you just do a last Synchronize Now before you turned in your Pre and then download the program from the App catalog onto the Pre and then Synchronize Now again?

Thanks! I am getting a replacement phone today so any help would be great.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    My experience with the Sprint kiosk in the mall:

The day that the Pre came out, I either went or called (don't remember which) to see if I could get one. I have been a loyal Sprint customer for years (almost 11?), but they told me that, unfortunately, they had been instructed by their manager that they could only sell Pre's to new customers.

I was disappointed, but I wasn't unhappy with my Centro. I was just looking for something that was more versatile.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the Sprint kiosk, asking if I was still interested in the Pre. I said that I was, and they said that they had just been given permission to sell them to existing customers, too. I said that I was, and went down to pick one up.

Had a bit of a problem getting all of my old data updated - but after about a week, I managed to get PocketMirror working correctly (after the update) and was glad to have all of my calendar events back on. I also got my work database (about 400 clients) back on, and was pleased with the ability to look somebody up and either phone them, SMS them, or get a GPS to their address. I also liked the Apps that came on the App Catalog, but spent WAY too much time going back to it (every night, every morning, every free second), just hoping to find a new app waiting for me to download! (Ah, the sweet naivete of an early Pre owner!)

I liked the Pre, but I missed some things - my Bible program, voice dial, Mileage tracker, and a whole bunch of games. I tried the Classic app, but it didn't run things like I wanted. (a lot of lag time, some programs wouldn't work, and my fingers kept hitting the gesture area and exiting) I was getting a bit disillusioned, plus the fact that I noticed that there was what I called "light leakage" or something like that along the bottom of the screen. It was like whitish or yellowish stains, where something looked to have bled through. It didn't make the phone unusable, but it was irritating.

I got together all of my paperwork and headed to the Sprint kiosk with trepidation. (I had been there previously in the week, trying to get some help with sync'ing my calendar/etc. A couple of the things that they tried worked, and they were overall very polite and trying to do their job well.) I approached them with my issue, and they couldn't see what I was talking about (since the kiosk was right under the skylight, and it was VERY bright in there). But eventually they saw it, and immediately offered a replacement.

They connected my old Pre to their computers and did the backup stuff, then my new one. Just about everything seemed to transfer over, so I was satisfied. (I asked if I should erase the old Pre info, and they assured me that it would be done on their end. I hope it was! Not anything life-critical, but still, private info.) The only thing I noticed about the new Pre was that it had one "live" pixel (not dead, because it is always white!)

But the saving grace, the thing that made me decide to keep my Pre, was when I in desperation did a Google search for "Pre hacks" and "Pre Apps". What did I find but two sites dedicated to Pre lovers? The first one I logged onto seemed to have a lot of interest, but it was the second one that suddenly made me feel at home. It was called "PreCentral Forums", and I discovered the universe of Homebrews! Suddenly I was able to start using my phone in ways that I had wanted to since the beginning, and a couple of ways that I had never imagined! I discover Developer's Mode, WebOs Quickinstall, and even some people who shared my enthusiasm for the Pre!

Yes, I made a few mistakes along the way (luckily nothing bad enough to brick the phone), but overall, I am quite happy now and looking forward to being a positive part of this society. Sprint has done well by me, the Pre is coming along well, and thanks to you guys (and gals) out there, this is becoming what I need it to be.
    Ahh so you are the guy that keeps messing up the app ratings by being the only one who votes but with 5 stars thus skewing the apps to the top!
    I am losing my mind at an alarming rate . . . Actually, I'm not really alarmed at all.
    hahaha
    ha good stuff!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by texas_ags View Post
    Fisack23, when you got your replacement Pre, how did PocketMirror work to get the contacts and calendar events back onto your Pre? Did you just do a last Synchronize Now before you turned in your Pre and then download the program from the App catalog onto the Pre and then Synchronize Now again?

Thanks! I am getting a replacement phone today so any help would be great.
    Well that worked just like I thought. I did email Chapura to ask them how it would work and they responded with 4 hours. Awesome. WebOS backup had saved my settings, etc, so once I logged in on the new phone it downloaded PocketMirror. When I opened PocketMirror it knew we were on a new phone and it asked a couple of questions and then spent a while downloaded my 1000+ contacts and 1600+ calendar items from Outlook.

Easy. I highly recommend Chapura PocketMirror to sync Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks.