Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    In a story about Andriod wanting to move into the Enterprise and take share from RIM.....

Google wants to emulate and build on the features developed by Palm for their Synergy application that pulls data from social networking sites such as Facebook.

Android In the Enterprise? Not So Fast - Network World
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Sounds great to me. Synergy is an amazing idea and a killer feature. I'm glad it's being adopted to other devices.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    yup
    next up is iPhone
    From some of the winmo 6.5 roms I tried on my TP winmo has something similar. So it seems like it will become the norm for smart phones.
    Wonder if Palm patented this. Is it patentable?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm sure they have! Question is if its enforceable. Didn't work out so well for Apple.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    No. Parts of it maybe, but the synergy itself no. It's more likely Synergy includes patented ideas for which Palm is already paying for.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Synergy is just "download from multiple places and put in the same view". While it's fresh and works amazingly (for me, at least), I fail to see how it's patentable.

I would imagine it's a stepping stone almost everyone will take.
    The specific processes Palm developed for how Synergy works might be patentable, but the concept itself cannot be. Anyone could produce the same results via different methods.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABBlockhead View Post
    The specific processes Palm developed for how Synergy works might be patentable, but the concept itself cannot be. Anyone could produce the same results via different methods.
    This is too bad. I was hoping this would force Google and Palm into a partnership that would result in better functionality of Google services.
    Of course this is a good thing, this is just how things work.
    iPhone took ideas from other phones, Pre and Android took ideas from the iPhone and other phones, etc...

I love it, if it's a good idea it's a good idea..
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    This isn't surprising, considering they were talking cloud computing with the netbook OS they're working on.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I think the synergy just uses git which is GPL i believe. Not sure if anyone else has used version control and repositories on contacts before, but probably so
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    This isn't surprising, considering they were talking cloud computing with the netbook OS they're working on.
    Android already supports cloud computing, at least in the "Google Powered" variants. If you buy a G1/G2 and punch in your google id and password it will sync up your calender, address book and email. Its being doing this a lot longer than WebOS.

As far as enterprise integration goes (which is what the Network world article was actually talkign about) that requires EAS support which is not yer available on Google branded Android devices (but may be on non Google Android builds).