Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    It really isn't that complicated, maybe if you would just give it a chance you could see that
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Itbis complicated... But I figured it out after many hours...
    Yes, it's just a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonkiter View Post
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    Thats fine, there are plenty of people, like my wife, who do not want to spend time playing around with internet guides just to get solitaire on there phones. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with people who do want to. thats why I like this phone and OS because it can be as simple as an iphone, or as root ready as my N810 tablet.

as far as the app catalog, yes, it is just a matter of time. Best estimates right now are 2-3 months at most, but possibly within a few days, for palm to put more apps in there.
    There are four lights.
  6.    #6  
    TIME. Exactly. I shouldn't have to learn a language I have no interest in learning. The iphone is not as fuctional as the Pre. But no one I know who has one sits for hours trying to get it to do fundamental tasks.
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    No, but then again i already have a degree in IT.
  8.    #8  
    LOL! Nerd!
    So you took the time to post saying rooting and programing for the Pre is complicated? So.. what phone isn't complicated to root and program for?

What was the point of this post?
    TIME. Exactly. I shouldn't have to learn a language I have no interest in learning. The iphone is not as fuctional as the Pre. But no one I know who has one sits for hours trying to get it to do fundamental tasks.
    My mother (A PhD in cell biology who runs a large research lab and pioneered an immunoflourecence microscopy technique) cannot get her DVD player to work correctly, and could not figure out her iphone, so she returned it, she didn't have enough time for that
    There are four lights.
  11.    #11  
    I don't even know what root means. The point is I just wanted to add some apps to my Pre. It's a 10 step process from the perspective of some one who doesn't know what all this stuff means!
  12.    #12  
    I'm not as smart as you mom, but I seem to have the same level of IT patience!
    I feel your pain. Apps are coming, for sure. However, I think if you spend just a little more time, you could probably figure it out. It's a matter of "want to". It's not complicated, really. You just have to read some of those stickies in the homebrew forum. They'll tell you everything you need to do.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't even know what root means. The point is I just wanted to add some apps to my Pre. It's a 10 step process from the perspective of some one who doesn't know what all this stuff means!
    a very very clumsy way of describing root is that it is like logging in as the administrator of your windows machine, you can change lots of settings, and benefit from it, but also potentially screw up.

again very very clumsy, and technicaly not correct, but for the purpose of someone who has no interest in it in any way, other than posting about it several times, i figure it suffices.

Im not entirely sure if you realize (mostly because a few things in your post lead me to believe you may have some confusion) but

1) there is an app catalog on the palm pre already where you can just click on an app and add it without any problems or other work

2) this "homebrew" app catalog is not from palm in any way, it is an app catalog run by an independent completely unassociated fan forum (ultimately run by a accessories company) members of the forum who know how to do such things, as well as the moderators and whatnot have put it together in there spare time to make it easy for people like me and those even less technically inclined to play with our phones and help test out new software.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Nope, it's pretty simple for me.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I work in IT so I guess it doesn't feel at all like that for me but I definitely see where you are coming from. Don't worry, new apps are going to start getting released in the catalog any day and life will be grand!

My biggest hope is simply that all these homebrew apps I love and use everyday make their way into the catalog for others to enjoy as much as I do!

Just keep in mind that the Pre is a developers DREAM so apps are definitely coming...just gotta give it some time.
    I've never done any "hacking" or alteration before but I've found this extremely easy and user friendly to make changes
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I am in both camps. I am fairly IT saavy and I have not yet messed with this device, but I may. Tho I think many new type devices go thru this same process. I remember a year or so ago, before every PC maker and their brother were making the little net books. I bought an Asus eeePC and became fascinated with some of the "mods" people were doing with it. I played around with some of them. Messed a few things up along the way, but was able to recover. Of course it too was linux, but it was OPEN linux, and you did not have to have and SDK to get to the root. I think its kinda cool that Pre HAS the ability to extend its current function, but dont feel it takes away any of the fascination and fun of this very cool device , for those that do not want to mess with it.

I too am hoping more Apps come our way the traditional way too.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Filecoaster seems harder to use than the older method (from 1.04), lol. (to me).
    I'm an English teacher and probably the most technically deficient person you can imagine. Nevertheless, I have been able to install around 40 Homebrew apps into my pre -- all WITHOUT rooting. So YAY Homebrew wizards for making the installation so easy that anyone who can type can dig into the Homebrew goodness

OP: Seriously, in the time it took you to type your original post, you could have loaded about 5 Homebrew apps into your Pre. SERIOUSLY.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast