Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    All I know is when I tried dl the WebOs/ file coaster way, I guess I messed it up. Cuz my computer had to be rebooted and there were corrupt files in it. When I try to pm forum members asking for help, all I get is crickets chirping. Guess I'm not worthy of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I don't know anything about programming but I installed the WebOS and then Filecoaster without a hitch. Took just a few minutes. 2 easy steps. I was very intimidated at first but gave it a go and had no problems!
    Would love to change the dialer but rooting is another story. Not ready for that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Oh, dude - that looks so sweet As far as hoops, I was referring to having to type that stupid password to enable developer mode every time. Am I mistaken?
    you could always just leave it in DevMode like i do. Makes things easier and saves more time, even if the ports are open. I really dont think somebody is gonna wipe my pre (atleast not now)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyther4523 View Post
    you could always just leave it in DevMode like i do. Makes things easier and saves more time, even if the ports are open. I really dont think somebody is gonna wipe my pre (atleast not now)
    I just realized that with the new version of Filecoaster you don't even need to put the Pre into Dev Mode. Very cool.
    Oh, dude - that looks so sweet As far as hoops, I was referring to having to type that stupid password to enable developer mode every time. Am I mistaken?
    Yep, you're mistaken, there's an app for that , so you don't have to type it in...
    Besides, once I got things set up, I found I very seldom had to go into developer mode.
  6.    #86  
    That was perfect!!
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yep, you're mistaken, there's an app for that , so you don't have to type it in...
    Besides, once I got things set up, I found I very seldom had to go into developer mode.
    Ok, thanks again! I know what I'm doing tonight
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    i have been trying for hours and cant figure it out i want to real bad but cant figure it out can someone walk me through this PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
    Ok, thanks again! I know what I'm doing tonight
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonkiter View Post
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    In all due time. Patients is the key.
    ummmm its not even time consuming. All you had to do is youtube search "How to root palm pre step by step". Rooting takes like 2 mins and after that just install filecoaster and things get even easier.

I rooted my Pre and Jailbroke my IPod Touch and rotting the Pre is so much easier. I think my little sister can root a Pre. Copying and pasting is not that hard.
    1. Type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart in universal search. Click app that shows up and switch on. Let phone restart.

2. search precentral for webos quick install and install to your computer.

3. In precentral homebrew section search filecoaster. Download to computer. Open webos quick install and drag filecoaster ipk to white window.

Plug phone into usb click just charge (must be just charge) and then click install on computer app.

Repeate step one in order to turn off dev mode.

There you go. You now have an app store with 80 something apps or so. (all apps from precentral I think) from here on its simple find app in store, and click download, done
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    I dont understand how everyone is asking so many questions as to how to root the pre. On the wiki page it gives you STEP BY STEP instructions...what more can yo u ask for? Read everything on the page instead of jumping right into it...get knowledge of what exactly your doing...its not that hard, my sister can do it if she really wanted to!

then again, don't get me wrong...after the root process is when all the coding comes into play and thats a whole nother story.

Quote Originally Posted by ansat View Post
    In all due time. Patients is the key.
    i couldn't say it better myself! People need to remember, we are all pratically beta testers...this is just the beginning IMHO
    As you know, the Palm Pre is on top of Linux. Initial release was developed by very few people all working at Palm. What you are seeing here (in the terminology you mention) is essentially growing exposure of the native apps and the device itself, and even some direct refinement. Among the disadvantages of this are: you are exposed to the nitty gritty. Among the advantages are: you can do almost whatever you want with it. It's a different approach to mobile computing. If the iPhone is like customizable, pre-packaged candy, the Pre is like having influence over the candy factory. This can be exciting for a particular type of user who sees the potential and wants to join the push toward it. But in the meantime, I can understand it's maybe not as attractive for someone who just wants to buy and eat the candy, and doesn't want to bother with this phase of the product.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345