Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I view any difficulty re: rooting/installing homebrew apps, etc., as just one side of the coin. I was also pretty rusty on Linux, etc., but got into it pretty fast, and the other side is the incredible power of the Pre's open Linux platform.
    I don't find it that incredible really. Android is also built on an open Linux platform. The iPhone not so much, but it too runs a Unix variant that can be hacked.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I have an IT degree, and it appears to be overrated: I work with the biggest bunch of aholes.
    My engineering degrees came in handy when I first tried to take the usb door off without breaking it
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I have homebrew installed and also root. Honestly installing those programs....it IS a little complicated.

Its not easy as like balancing a check book. I would say its more like balancing a check book while youre upside down.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    If you don't want to.... don't. Nobody's going to make you!
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_shawn View Post
    My engineering degrees came in handy when I first tried to take the usb door off without breaking it
    Yeah, that "open the slider first" suggestion really catches the degreed engineers by surprise.

To use commoners, it just kinda made sense.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself
    I used the PreBrew method without rooting. Aside from a minor hitch during installation, which I worked out fairly quickly, it's worked great for me. It took maybe 20 minutes to get the whole thing up and running. Not really hard and my degrees are in dramatic arts and law
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    Very simple for me. I'm sorry you probably need:

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

To use commoners,
    I use commoners, but only for skeet shooting. (History of the World ref.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    What was the point of this post?
    I'm sure someone has already responded to this post but I'm feeling extra wired today so I thought I'd stir up the hornest's nest. : The point is that for the regular joe blow user that doesn't want to spend time learning the internal workings of a phone, the Pre experience is great for the first 30 minutes but then gets rather bland after the "newness" of it wears off and you realize there's a lot of basic functionality that's been left off of the Pre for now. Granted additional functionality is coming, and granted there will be more apps in the app catalog (hopefully sooner rather than later). Right now though, compared to other phones on the market, smart or otherwise, the Pre is lacking.

Personally, I enjoy getting into the inner workings of something like the Pre, making it do things the maker didn't necessarily intend for it to do. My wife and son on the other hand simply want something that works, out of the box, the way they want it to work. The iPhone was similarly frustratingly lacking when it was first introduced but has matured over the past 3 years.
    Again, the Pre will get there but I do understand the OPs position.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    When i first got my Pre, i didnt want to mess with it just because it was new and i wanted to keep it like that for a little while. Im in college doing IT things, and i have no problem operating Linux.

When i finally felt like 'rooting' my pre, i went ahead and did it in about 2 mins. Its all just copy and paste, and if you think its too complicated to copy and paste, dont do it.
    I really dont understand people that want the homebrew apps that require rooting, when even if you know NOTHING about computers/operating systems/etc you can copy and paste. You dont have to learn the linux commands, they are posted for you on the predev wiki.

So really, what's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    There are 10 types of people in the world

Edited to add: eh, so I guess nobody got the joke.
    LOL, just read it and DID get it...

Yeah, that "open the slider first" suggestion really catches the degreed engineers by surprise.

To use commoners, it just kinda made sense.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself
    LOL, that was a good one.

That said, I'm a degree'd and certified IT professional. I do understand what it all means. The good thing here is, Palm doesn't impede on this kind of activity, unlike that "other" company. If you can't understand the basic concepts, wait for the App Catalogue to "officially" open. I don't go around trying build a personal helicopter, even though there are guides for that too!
    the latest version of filecoaster makes homebrew a breeze.

if you can take the time to get filecoaster installed, you're good as gold for homebrew
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    3.) Type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart on the homescreen of the Pre (Universal Search) and the Developer Mode app will popup. Tap it and turn on dev mode. Let it reboot then connect the Pre to the computer.
    I'm an IT guy who loves UNIX/Linux, but I have not been motivated enough to jump through all these hoops every time I want to get to the command line. Give me an app that has a "/" on it. Then I'll be all in
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I also DO NOT NOT KNOW ANYTHING about ROOTing phones or anything like it!! I think you will find if you do what they say to do, after that it works just like the app cat. I is very simple (once you find the instructions). I was abale to get it set up and download apps within 15 minutes. Thanks to all that biult these apps....it's nice to have apps to download and enjoy now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    There are 10 types of people in the world

Edited to add: eh, so I guess nobody got the joke.
    Haha! Those who understand binary and those who don't.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I'm an IT guy who loves UNIX/Linux, but I have not been motivated enough to jump through all these hoops every time I want to get to the command line. Give me an app that has a "/" on it. Then I'll be all in
    all i do to access linux is open Putty and SSH in. The only 'hoops' you go thru is actually 'rooting' the phone, and then again i wouldnt even call it hoops. Its super-simple.

And to the people that say they dont want to learn commands for linux, you DONT! other people already wrote the instructions for you, i assume you know how to copy and paste. Then your good to go! So the 'i dont want to learn new commands" excuse is out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by ION-q View Post
    I use commoners, but only for skeet shooting. (History of the World ref.)
    Yeah, noticed my misspell after I got home and read it on a computer screen instead of my Pre. Oh well, it's what I get for being snarley.

BTW, I liked the line from DragonSlayer better (that was used similarly in History of the World):

"The peasants are revolting."
    "They've always been revolting, but now they're rebelling."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Ask and you shall receive: DFBTerm DirectFB Terminal Emulator - WebOS Internals

There is a "gotcha" though. You have to get root access first.

I really don't understand the "all these hoops every time" comment. You only jump through those hoops once, then you have PuTTY to terminal into it, and/or SCP to transfer files. About 95% of the Linux access I do (not counting the Pre) was either through PuTTY or VNC. It's pretty standard stuff to sit at one machine working on another.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Oh, dude - that looks so sweet As far as hoops, I was referring to having to type that stupid password to enable developer mode every time. Am I mistaken?
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast