Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonkiter View Post
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    In short, you don't have to do any of those things or use any of the jargon. You can do exactly what you said you'd like - you can go to the App Catalog and get the apps that you want from there. Yes, it's pretty limited right now, but it works. And the answer is, yes, it's just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue. It's still in beta, and the SDK (Software Developers Kit, in non-geek-jargon) was only released to the general public about 3 weeks ago.

Now that the basic questions are answered, I'll take a few minutes to address a broader issue - you've bought more than a phone, you bought a very powerful, very open smartphone.

You made the comment - about downloading "the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box". I'm a little confused about this. The phone does everything it's advertised to do out of the box. While "what you should be able to do" is probably subjective, objectively it works as advertised out of the box. The built in apps work, the Apps Catalog allows you to easily download, install, and update add on apps, and Palm is updating the Pre more frequently, powerfully, and faithfully than any smartphone I've seen to date.

It appears that you want the full power of the device, want it now, and want it to be easy for a casual user. Unfortunately, that's just not a realistic combination. There will be a ton of apps eventually, probably even soon, that can be downloaded from the Apps Catalog. Most of them will probably be fee based, and the development cycle for them will be longer. Homebrew apps are beta, free, and usually have issues ranging from minor glitches to major bugs.

And no, you don't need an IT degree, or even be an IT professional to do these things. But you do have to make a choice.
    1. Take the "casual user" approach, and use the Apps Catalog. The drawbacks are that you will have to wait, and then you will (likely) have to pay.
    2. Become more of a "serious user". Talk to some of the folks on here, you'll find that many will be very helpful in helping you get the File Coaster loaded on your Pre, which will give you access to the 75+ and growing list of apps available here. It's amazingly simple to use once it's installed. I suspect that would keep you satisfied for a while.
    3. Get in to the guts of the device and become more of a "power user". Unlike older smartphones (the Treos, Windows Mobile systems, and BlackBerries), and even the newer Apple iPhones, the Pre has a very open OS, and is easier for non-programmers to get into some of the more interesting aspects of it. This is probably farther than you want to go, but I mention it because it is one of the appealing things about the Pre. Even if you're not going to go that far, browse Main Page - WebOS Internals and look around to get an idea of some of the things that the open nature of the Pre makes possible.

Seriously, I hope you get a little more gutsy with your Pre and go with option 2. You'll find it's a lot more fun to use, and makes the "waiting" a lot easier.
    I completely agree. Im very frustrated with the Home brew apps & trying to get them on my phone. Ive spent 2 days downloading programs that are so called "easy" but cant get them to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomsticknj View Post
    I completely agree. Im very frustrated with the Home brew apps & trying to get them on my phone. Ive spent 2 days downloading programs that are so called "easy" but cant get them to work.

I followed the instructions and had homebrew apps on my Pre in no time. No obstacles and no problems.

And i do not have an IT degree, which was stated as a requirement.
    IT degree, this is just another *nix variant, nothing big here.

[deleted by moderator]
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/06/2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: inappropriate content
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    LOL most IT people aren't very versed in Linux nowadays so they are learning the Pre' as they go just like you...

No offense to you but I laugh each and every time I read someone post about how they are dissapointed in the Pre cause it doesn't do this and that which the iPhone does...

This is a 1.0 device built on a brand new platform that no one had access too, how in the world could there be 1000s of apps out yet when Palm just released the SDK a little over a month ago. I know lots of friends who have iPhones and I look through their "so-called" app catalog and YES it may have 1000s of apps but I would realistically say that only 50% of the apps have any real value and most if not all of those come at a cost...

The Pre' was developed to compete with the iPhone, not be it's twin, just like Android... I look at the Pre' the same way as when you buy a brand new model of car or truck, there are bound to be bugs and with each passing year they come out with improvements and upgrades that the original didn't have. You just have to make the decision that your willing to deal with the learning curve when you buy that 1.0 model or Pre'...
    thanks OP for the thread. I too was feeling a bit disappointed with all the Homebrew apps out there and not being a part of the fun.

I was on the fence about installing Homebrews but now I see it is not as difficult as I thought. I'm ready to give it a go!
    Getting back to the OP/original topic, I can definitely understand that sentiment. I actually went through the (not too considerable) trouble of installing WebOS quick install on my desktop, and then FileCoaster on my Pre.

I did it, said "Hey, great!", then took a look at some of the apps highlighted on the front page this morning. Actually getting them on the Pre was a different story entirely, and it's maddeningly unintuitive. The page instructions on PreCentral tell you to tap the address box (thereby selecting the .ipk location), and then paste it into FileCoaster. But guess what? On my Pre, cut/copy/paste are all greyed out when I select that text.

Dead in the water. With more effort, I am sure I could get this sorted, but it's not worth it to me right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Getting back to the OP/original topic, I can definitely understand that sentiment. I actually went through the (not too considerable) trouble of installing WebOS quick install on my desktop, and then FileCoaster on my Pre.

I did it, said "Hey, great!", then took a look at some of the apps highlighted on the front page this morning. Actually getting them on the Pre was a different story entirely, and it's maddeningly unintuitive. The page instructions on PreCentral tell you to tap the address box (thereby selecting the .ipk location), and then paste it into FileCoaster. But guess what? On my Pre, cut/copy/paste are all greyed out when I select that text.

Dead in the water. With more effort, I am sure I could get this sorted, but it's not worth it to me right now.
    The latest version of the File Coaster allows you to browse the Homebrew listing, select the App you want, and download/install it. No copy, no past. Very simple to do.

Get the latest version of the File Coaster.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    OP: buy Classic.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    My nerd is not nearly as huge as some people here. That said, I have had no problem figuring out the Pre using the many available helper threads in this forum. I needed help and I found a huge group of people that were like-minded.

Since the Pre is a Linux based system, it stands to reason that it would be "hackable" and that people would most defiantly be in the market to "fix" them. It is a phone that you can play around with if you so choose. Most chose to do that.

Some choose to wait and add apps when they show up in the catalog. That is perfectly fine too but it is your choice to make. Coming here and crabbing about the fact that your wife can't get a specific app she wants yet is pretty lame. The app she wants is available and so is the technology to help her achieve it.

I will agree that it takes a little bit of time, and some patience, but the reward is wonderful. I am not technologically advanced by any stretch but have somehow learned enough here to make the adjustments to my new phone I have wanted for a very long time. If you are unwilling to do what is necessary then that is entirely on you and complaining will only loose you cool points.

Good day, Sir.
    The page instructions on PreCentral tell you to tap the address box (thereby selecting the .ipk location), and then paste it into FileCoaster. But guess what? On my Pre, cut/copy/paste are all greyed out when I select that text.

After highlighting the .ipk location, hold one finger in the gesture area until the silver button lights up, and then, while holding your finger there, hit the c key. This is the same as ctrl+c on your windows computer. You can also 'gesture area'+V and 'gesture area'+X same as ctrl+V and ctrl+X.

Then go to the Filecoaster application, make sure the Address box has the focus, just touch it, then shake your phone! It will plop your copied address into that field. (if you shake and nothing happens, make sure to have Filecoaster open first, before copying the .ipk location. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not though)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The latest version of the File Coaster allows you to browse the Homebrew listing, select the App you want, and download/install it. No copy, no past. Very simple to do.

Get the latest version of the File Coaster.
    I just installed FileCoaster 1.02 last night. Is that not the latest version?
    I just installed FileCoaster 1.02 last night. Is that not the latest version?
    Nope, 1.1.0 went up this morning (I think). It's awsome, just like an app store, you simply click on an icon and it installs the app. It even allowed me to install the lastest version of Filecoaster using Filecoaster.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Palm doesn't expect you to do that. It's a new phone and in time more and more apps will become available, from the app store ans that's what Palm expects, for users to get apps from there.

It's just cool for them to make a little more "roll up your sleeves" way to get apps now, if someone is so inclined to do so and take responsibility for what they do while the hood is up.
    I don't even know what root means. The point is I just wanted to add some apps to my Pre. It's a 10 step process from the perspective of some one who doesn't know what all this stuff means!
    There is a simple app, FileCoaster, that will allow you to install any homebrew app in it's catalog, or by URL.

Have you looked into that? You can IM me and I'll walk you through it if you like.
    TIME. Exactly. I shouldn't have to learn a language I have no interest in learning. The iphone is not as fuctional as the Pre. But no one I know who has one sits for hours trying to get it to do fundamental tasks.
    Mine did alot of fundamental tasks out of the box? Was something wrong with yours? Your email, calendar, task manager, phone, sms, IM, Navigation, Camera, photo album, google maps not working out of the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by prochobo View Post
    There are 10 types of people in the world

Edited to add: eh, so I guess nobody got the joke.
    I got it I used that as a response once to the "there are 3 types of people in the world".
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    I view any difficulty re: rooting/installing homebrew apps, etc., as just one side of the coin. I was also pretty rusty on Linux, etc., but got into it pretty fast, and the other side is the incredible power of the Pre's open Linux platform.

And as much as I like FileCoaster, etc., it's just damn fun to ssh in to the Pre over WiFi and see that castle prompt come up!
    I have one so no. I is really not that hard though.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    a very very clumsy way of describing root is that it is like logging in as the administrator of your windows machine, you can change lots of settings, and benefit from it, but also potentially screw up.

again very very clumsy, and technicaly not correct, but for the purpose of someone who has no interest in it in any way, other than posting about it several times, i figure it suffices.
    Actually it is technically correct. The adminstrator account on a Unix or Linux system is called root (when asked for the userid you type 'root'). Its really the other way round though. Logging in as the adminstrator on you windows machine is like logging in as root on a Unix (which had the concept of an adminstrator account a couple of decades before Windows).
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast