Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    There are 10 types of people in the world

Edited to add: eh, so I guess nobody got the joke.
    Last edited by prochobo; 08/06/2009 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonkiter View Post
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    Three words: Jailbreak
    The problem here is language...."rooting" "jailbreaking" etc are really totally inaccurate at this point.

Due to the hard work of the fans here on pre-central, all you have to do now is basically Install. That's what's amazing about the Pre...it's a little hand held computer. And yes, you're right, the computer manufacturer hasn't quite gotten its 3rd party developers up and running their applications, but that's coming soon. Unlike the Iphone, which took a couple years to have a decent set of useful applications, the Pre comes ready to program, so we've already got some great apps from amateur programmers or professional programmers working for free. Imagine what it's going to be like once they're getting paid.

The Iphone is pretty, but its so locked down that innovation is being stifled.

I'm not a tech expert...but I found that getting WebOS QuickInstall and FileCoaster on my Pre to be extremely easy (just the same sort of cookbook directions you follow when you're installing a program on your home desktop or laptop), and from there installing Homebrew apps to be even easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I'm an English teacher and probably the most technically deficient person you can imagine. Nevertheless, I have been able to install around 40 Homebrew apps into my pre -- all WITHOUT rooting. So YAY Homebrew wizards for making the installation so easy that anyone who can type can dig into the Homebrew goodness

OP: Seriously, in the time it took you to type your original post, you could have loaded about 5 Homebrew apps into your Pre. SERIOUSLY.
    This is encouraging, as I thought that you had to root the phone to be able to use all homebrew apps. So, it isn't necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    This is encouraging, as I thought that you had to root the phone to be able to use all homebrew apps. So, it isn't necessary?
    No not at all.

you do need to put in an acces code in the very beginning to enter an install type mode, but that is temporary and not at all like rooting
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    No not at all.

you do need to put in an acces code in the very beginning to enter an install type mode, but that is temporary and not at all like rooting
    So, Windzilla, what exactly is the difference between what you describe and rooting? Can you direct me to a link that you think could explain the difference, particularly one that explains when rooting is necessary? I would like to get as many homebrew apps as I can without having to do any of the "under-the-hood" stuff that could possibly "brick" my phone (once I get it).

EDIT: I found a source, Windzilla. I think I'm beginning to understand it a bit better.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 08/05/2009 at 09:19 PM.
    boy I miss my cab files on my diamond. hopefully palm will come out with direct download program for Ipk's. I hate having to connect my phone to a computer.
    I know pimpmypre just came out with one but I really don't like risking damage on a beta sofTware not backed by anyone.
    I bought the Pre for its functionality prowess over the iphone. Does anyone who's not in IT feel lost with the "root" "ipk" "developer mode" jargon? Dude, I just want to go into the App Catalogue and get the apps I want on my phone! Homebrew? Are you serious! I don't have the time, expertise or desire to download the thing to run the thing that allows the other thing to do what I should be able to do from my phone out of the box. Period. Is it just a matter of time for Palm to load up the App Catalogue?
    Apparently it's not that hard. See this thread for a like minded individual's experience. http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...brew-apps.html
    Right now the phone is still a in it's early stages and the App Catalogue (if hadn't noticed is just a beta version. Once Palm releases the first 1.0 version of it they will start adding apps from all the developers. They only are putting up a few right now, which are made by companies, that will bring other basic and needful functionalities. Wait till a week after they release it and then tell me what you think.
    BTW, it isn't that hard to download/install homebrew apps to the Pre. I'll break it down to 4 easy steps:
    1.) Download THIS to your computer and open it up. (If it won't open then download/install java on your computer)

2.) Download THIS and click/drag it to the white box of the newly installed program.

3.) Type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart on the homescreen of the Pre (Universal Search) and the Developer Mode app will popup. Tap it and turn on dev mode. Let it reboot then connect the Pre to the computer.

4.) Now click Install on the newly installed program on your computer and now you have an app on your Pre that you just type/copy-paste the URL of an app and it and it will download/install the app directly from the Pre to the Pre!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    boy I miss my cab files on my diamond. hopefully palm will come out with direct download program for Ipk's. I hate having to connect my phone to a computer.
    I know pimpmypre just came out with one but I really don't like risking damage on a beta sofTware not backed by anyone.
    If you install Filecoaster you can download and install OTA.
    So, Windzilla, what exactly is the difference between what you describe and rooting? Can you direct me to a link that you think could explain the difference, particularly one that explains when rooting is necessary? I would like to get as many homebrew apps as I can without having to do any of the "under-the-hood" stuff that could possibly "brick" my phone (once I get it).
    Dude, back up. Breathe. You won't even need all of the differences, etc. The code you type in is so simplistic: it actually reads:
    "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"

Now, if you think you can type that, then go here:http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-1-0-4-a.html

You will *know* the difference between apps that require rooting (which the above is NOT) because our wonderful Homebrewers always indicate when an app needs/does not need rooting.

Also visit:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    ...it actually reads:
    "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"
    Ummm, weird saying this but....there's an app for that.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...vmode-launcher
    Downloading Homebrew apps is not IT anything. It is clicking links. My car is more complicated.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with "IT." It is just following about ten minutes worth of instructions to set up. From then on it is just clicking on a link you want to download.

The developers who figure all of this out are the IT guys.

Clicking links does not make us Information Technologists any more than buying a car makes us mechanical engineers.

Follow the instructions here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-1-0-4-a.html

Basically you...
    Install virtualbox
    Install SDK
    Install java if you don't already have it
    Enter the developer code
    Download stuff

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/05/2009 at 09:42 PM.

EDIT: I found a source, Windzilla. I think I'm beginning to understand it a bit better.
    Great I was about to post this link

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Portal:Where_to_Get_Started

And then apologise for not getting into it further as I need to get to sleep, "work" tomorrow and all that jazz.

My one line summation would be developer or "install" mode as I called it is a controlled safer way to communicate with the device that was designed by palm for that purpose, root is more raw and potentially dangerous.
  15.    #35  
    Imagine if you just wanted to buy a phone that does stuff without much intervention. That's what I wanted. PHONE ON...STUFF WORK!!! I'll wait till the App Catalog beefs-up.
    Imagine if you just wanted to buy a phone that does stuff without much intervention. That's what I wanted. PHONE ON...STUFF WORK!!! I'll wait till the App Catalog beefs-up.
    That's an option. Nobody said the Homebrew programs were compulsory.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That's an option. Nobody said the Homebrew programs were compulsory.
    That's why he will wait. I was originally confused by the OP but I think they didn't realize homebrew is not an official thing in any way and is not put on by palm.
    While you all were posting, a new app just appeared. Another restaurant locator, Good Food. Looks ok, but we need more.
    Not new app, just updated.
    totally understand. i think many people on the forums are tech savvy, or phone enthusiasts, etc. and don't fully understand that the majority of the people in the phone buying world don't want to do this stuff. They just want to go to the app store and download a game. it's irrelevant that some people, like me can figure out the homebrew thing, they aren't ever going to have the time. they have jobs and kids and other things to do. Bottom line. palm needs to understand that with a lot of people they don't have all year to get apps out. they have weeks. and the clock is ticking.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast