Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    hey, my pre hasnt really had much problems with the battery, as long as i leave aim logged off, it can last all day easily with normal use, but past few days ive been listening to music on the pre while at work, after about 5-6 hrs of music just playing non stop, my battery drops to around 30%.....sounds kind of weak to me, anyone else noticing it? i recall my old iphone lasting longer....normal? what u guys think, dont turn this into a iphone vs pre, i love the pre, and im happy, pre over iphone anyday.
    Well, I think the Pre is supposed to do 12 hours of music. So for 6 hours you'd kind of expect the battery to be at 50%. But your Pre would probably burn 4-5% per hour doing its normal stuff. So I would expect after 6 hours with no music that the battery would be at about 75%. So, music plus normal stuff for 6 hours, I'd expect battery to be about 25%. I'd say you're actually a little ahead of the game.

The battery also drains while surfing the web, making phone calls, and watching video!

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

The battery also drains while surfing the web, making phone calls, and watching video!

Are you fo real?l

oh my god this phone sucks big time!

Ouch.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Do people never have to charge their mp3 players or something? I don't understand.
    Well to be honest yeah that is kinda weak. I go pretty much from 10am to 5pm listening to music and podcasts on my pre and am only around 60% so you may have a weak battery. Did you let it discharge all the way before you charged it the first time and did you charge it overnight?

Also, where is it written it can do 12 hours? I didn't see that and compared to Apple's 36 hour music playback claim seems very weak to me.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Ya, it's a downside to the Pre. The battery drains as it's used. The iPhone on the other hand, makes energy as you use it, and you can sell that energy back to the electric company. It's green wind powered energy too.
    I just worked from 530am till 2.. Had music playing from 6am, on a full charge, not doing anything else with the phone.. At 12:30 it died on me.. Not terrible, but when compared to how much the iphone supposedly has it is kinda lame..

This is bs palm...seriously how could you leave out a critically important feature like atomic power...computers in the 50's even had that.
    I take the train in to work, listen to music on there for around 1hr, it drains 10% or more every time, so I would consider it normal.
    I blame Apple.
    Well, 1 difference between the iPhone and Pre:

Podcasts/Pandora are streamed/downloaded. Most of the music on your iPhone is probably downloaded off of iTunes and synced to your iPhone, or just downloaded once off of the built in iTunes app.

Are you streaming or do you have MP3s stored on your Pre?
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for a Touchstone that draws energy from my surplus fat deposits and charges my phone with them on the go.

Keeps me lookin gooooood and lasts forever. All i have to do is eat more Cheetos to fuel my phone. Its a win-win!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I usually listen to pandora, and I def notice the battery drop signifigantly
    yeah pandora will KILL your battery. I work in an area with zero cell signal so I usually have airplane mode on and listening to music from about 8:30 till usually about 5:30 to 6 I normally have about 50+% battery remaining
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wingerdinger View Post
    I just worked from 530am till 2.. Had music playing from 6am, on a full charge, not doing anything else with the phone.. At 12:30 it died on me.. Not terrible, but when compared to how much the iphone supposedly has it is kinda lame..
    If that's all you want to do with it, put it in Airplane mode. I'm sure it'll last a lot longer.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kleany View Post
    hey, my pre hasnt really had much problems with the battery, as long as i leave aim logged off, it can last all day easily with normal use, but past few days ive been listening to music on the pre while at work, after about 5-6 hrs of music just playing non stop, my battery drops to around 30%.....sounds kind of weak to me, anyone else noticing it? i recall my old iphone lasting longer....normal? what u guys think, dont turn this into a iphone vs pre, i love the pre, and im happy, pre over iphone anyday.
    Are you using a bluetooth headset for your music? The pre drains pretty fast while using a2dp, but my experience is that it's pretty good w/ music..

Also could be wifi - is your wifi on while listening to music? Normally the pre goes to sleep and turns off the wifi, but if you're listening to tunes, it'd leave wifi on.
    -mark
    APple has been doing MP3 players for years.....they know how to manage battery life with them.