Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So far I'm liking the Pre but there are three important things that the Treo had that Palm needs to add to the Pre ASAP!

1. Email Search
    It's a no-brainier and something we all need now. Simply stated if I can't find an email easily on a device then I don't use that device for email as much. It's important for palm if it want's business users to take the Pre seriously.

2. Universal Copy and Paste
    While it's true that Palm can brag the Pre had copy and paste on day one, it feels more like an afterthought and nowhere near as useful as it was implemented on the Treo. I copy and paste things I find on the Web into my emails or memos on a daily basis and I won't accept silly workarounds like pasting a link to a huge article for one sentence or pasting a pic. Palm really needs to focus some programmers on this.

3. Document Editing/Creation
    I know DataViz says they're going to have something at the end of the year but once again this is something critical to people who do business. It's what's holding up a lot of people I know right now from buying the Pre.

Right now the Pre is a trade off for me when compared to the Treo. I enjoy it's faster OS & data connection, modern design, synergy and true multi-tasking. But it's still a trade off when I can't do these three important things that my old Treo used to do. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it (for now) but how hard is it to get email search and universal copy and paste in the next 30 days?

What do you guys think?
    In the next 30 days? I wouldn't hold my breath, Palm has a lot of things they are working on right now.
    there are more than 3 things that they need to do with the Pre, but we're just going to have to be patient. One of the things that has drawn many people to the Pre is the potential to do so much with webOS. Now that's not to say that maybe Palm could have included more features at launch, but I'm confident that over time, these things will just keep coming.
    Those are must have features for me too. I believe DataViz has a document editing/creating app ready as soon as the store can handle payments. The other two I think are coming in the next major update.

I was just telling my wife this morning it's telling how great this phone is that I'm willing to forgo features that I use for such a great user experience. I'm willing to give Palm another couple of months to get these rolled out before I start getting impatient.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    there are more than 3 things that they need to do with the Pre, but we're just going to have to be patient. One of the things that has drawn many people to the Pre is the potential to do so much with webOS. Now that's not to say that maybe Palm could have included more features at launch, but I'm confident that over time, these things will just keep coming.
    My point is above all else these three things should take a priority. These are functional things that we're missing out on right now. There is no excuse to make them anything else but a priority. Sure there are other things that need to be done right now but these are the biggest bang for the buck for Palm. They are a major draw for potential customers more then anything else I can think of. And as I said they are imperative for business users.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    actually, those three are in the middle to the bottom of my list.....
    how about these

1. Make the phone stop turning off randonly
    2. Fix the notification while on the phone issue
    3. something else important...cant think of it now
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    actually, those three are in the middle to the bottom of my list.....
    how about these

1. Make the phone stop turning off randonly
    2. Fix the notification while on the phone issue
    3. something else important...cant think of it now
    Phone turning off randomly is a harware issue that can only be solved by getting a replacement. Don't confuse this with the battery issue, which is not random and turns off after flicking the slider open or shut. I speak from experience.

Not sure what number two is but sounds more like a mild annoyance rather then preventing you from doing something.
    I also want those 3 things...but for me they rank below:

1. Fix the bluetooth problems.
    *** a. The phone not working with every Infiniti/Nissan car's built in bluetooth system is ridiculous. Needs to be fixed immediately.
    ***b. The phone not working (well) with TomTom GPS units should be fixed right after the issue above.
    Last edited by jrkillel; 08/05/2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: formatting
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    One that I would definitely like to see is to be able to do mass delete in the email trash folder rather then have to re-delete each one individually.
    I suspect the problem with your list is that it doesn't represent a general consensus. No, what Palm needs to fix or include are those things most demanded of by current and potential users. Maybe some of your things are on the top of that list, maybe not. The only people in the position to determine these things is Palm themselves. I'm sure they'll do a better job at it than you or me.

I'm willing to bet that your list is not composed through a scientific survey but merely items which are important to YOU. As an example of what I mean, I work in the scientific community. I don't recall EVER having a need to compose an MS Office document. However, as an example, when I use my Pre in a casual context, I have on occasion wanted to foreward a text message therefore, while certainly not all that high for me, text message forewarding is still higher on my list than document cration. And I'm sure many other people have different lists.

So, No, your list is not the end-all-and-be-all and final word of what Palm must do to survive.
    I agree with deesugar's 1 & 2. Absolutely. Not sure about 3, but I definitely want edit/creation on my Pre. Email search and sorting is an inexcusable absence, though. Just try scrolling through hundreds of emails to find the one you want. Takes forever.

Universal c&p also would make the Pre truly usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I suspect the problem with your list is that it doesn't represent a general consensus. No, what Palm needs to fix or include are those things most demanded of by current and potential users. Maybe some of your things are on the top of that list, maybe not. The only people in the position to determine these things is Palm themselves. I'm sure they'll do a better job at it than you or me.

I'm willing to bet that your list is not composed through a scientific survey but merely items which are important to YOU. As an example of what I mean, I work in the scientific community. I don't recall EVER having a need to compose an MS Office document. However, as an example, when I use my Pre in a casual context, I have on occasion wanted to foreward a text message therefore, while certainly not all that high for me, text message forewarding is still higher on my list than document cration. And I'm sure many other people have different lists.

So, No, your list is not the end-all-and-be-all and final word of what Palm must do to survive.
    Yeah, I agree. One thing you notice when you read multiple threads like this is that there are definitely things that appear on many lists and some that only appear in one or two. I'm not sure which category the OP's list falls in, but I'm sure there are many people who may not feel what was listed should be at the top of Palm's list.

Personally, I hope Palm is working on the battery issues, and the leakage issue I've read so much about. WebOS and it's features, from what I can tell, seem to be coming along quite well.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

No, there is no scientific poll I took. But then again I don't think I need to take a scientific poll to know that business users are a large segment of customers in the mobile market. Furthermore, I don't feel you need a scientific poll to know what basic needs they have. I guess copy and paste could be debated but email and documents is a no brainier. So if you don't use the Pre for business or at least not in a serious way then the ability to find an important emails or edit and create documents might take a back seat for games or fart apps.

My overall logic in why I feel this is important is, the broader appeal the Pre has means more sales. More sales is more revenue to Palm which allows them to invest more into WebOS and the Pre, making all of these better products. And that translates to quicker fixes, more functionality and better experience for all of us. Palm in many ways has been born again, like a fledgling company their need for success (i.e. sales) is great. It will dictate both their short term and long term paths. So maybe some people won't see what's in it for them if the Pre becomes more appealing to the business segment but indirectly it will benefit everyone.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    palm fix these 3 things so people can stop making these posts
    Certainly my take is entirely unscientific, but I would suggest fixing issues with build quality first (oreo twisting etc).
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by badchad View Post
    Certainly my take is entirely unscientific, but I would suggest fixing issues with build quality first (oreo twisting etc).
    Not sure which version you have but I had problems up until last month when I got a replacement that was perfect. I think they've fixed all those problems as evident in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ing-build.html
    I'll add two more cents here to most desirable things. It is essential to be able to empty the trash. IMAP accounts have the delete-on-server work-around .. but there are lots of POP account users. So far in a month with my nice new Palm Pre .. there are well over 1000 items in the trash. Waste of my time flicking them there in the first place (need a better server-side junk/spam filter, for sure) but they surely slow email management down a bit, take up memory space, etc. And nobody is going to flick away a 1000 times in a row. What I want next is a way to create my own folders for saving important emails ... the way any respectable email program should work.
    The Pre is not a business-targeted device right now because it has the features missing you suggest. Palm needs to get the device stable and to build up a base of features that appeal to the non-corporate customer, as Palm isn't going after the corporate customer with these devices.

For me the biggest problem is the "notifications still play at full volume while you're on a phone call" bug whereby every time I get an e-mail there's an ear-splitting DING DING in my ear. That and the inability to customize notification sounds and no external notification LED when it makes almost too much sense to have the button LED do that.
    The Pre is not a business-targeted device right now because it has the features missing you suggest. Palm needs to get the device stable and to build up a base of features that appeal to the non-corporate customer, as Palm isn't going after the corporate customer with these devices.

For me the biggest problem is the "notifications still play at full volume while you're on a phone call" bug whereby every time I get an e-mail there's an ear-splitting DING DING in my ear. That and the inability to customize notification sounds and no external notification LED when it makes almost too much sense to have the button LED do that.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    palm fix these 3 things so people can stop making these posts
    There will always be 3 things..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast