1.    #1  
    Hi all. I am new to the board as I stumbled upon it after beginning my research of the ins-and-outs of the Palm Pre. After months of reading, I finally went to the local Best Buy (on a much deserved day off) to play with one. I came away very impressed, and I'm sure that I want to purchase the gadget as soon as I can afford to.

Disclaimer: What will follow will be a list of all of the things, good and bad, that I noticed after my two-hour test session with the Pre. Mind you, two hours is really no time at all in the grand scheme of things. Also, there were certain things, namely the internet (no detectable networks), that I was unable to play around with. Nothing I list will be intended to offend or anger anyone, nor is my goal to discredit anything that Pre has done thus far. Since I obviously have only very limited experience with the phone, I welcome all to correct me wherever they feel my judgments or observations may be lacking or downright wrong. This is about learning to me so I will not at all be offended by any of it. Also, if this gets a bit lengthy, I apologize in advance.
    So, without further adieu:
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 08/05/2009 at 10:51 PM.
  2.    #2  
    I'll start with HARDWARE

THE GOOD:

1. I absolutely love the form-factor and size of the phone. It feels so good to hold and the weight is negligible. The screen size, in particular, is really nice. When I originally read that the Pre's screen would only be 3.1", I was a bit put off by it because I liked the bigger screen of the iPhone. Now, however, I feel completely different about it. I am digging the screen size and the overall size of the phone as mentioned. Even the sales rep said that she prefers the Pre's size (though she said she's still going to get an iPhone).

The "pebble" idea was brilliant, if I may say so. Kudos Palm!

2. Again, I have to marvel at the screen. I still cannot believe how crisp the display was on the model. I was particular interested in light leakage, as I've read that many are having that issue, but I noticed zero light leakage on the test model. For those of you not experiencing that particular issue, you must still be in awe of how bright, crisp, and vibrant images appear on the Pre. I’m going to enjoy watching movies on the thing.

3. The keyboard is really nice. I don't have really big thumbs, so typing on it will not at all be difficult for me. Of all the keyboards I've used, I'd have to say that I find this one to be the most comfortable.

4. For all the talk about the camera leaving much to be desired, I found the snapshots that I took to be exceptional (for a phone anyway). They were bright and clear. Personally, I feel that Palm got it right. I don’t even care that there’s no way for me to record video.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:

1. After talking to the sales rep for a while, she decided to take one out of the box (mainly to show me how the case fits around the phone) and, much to my displeasure, the much-publicized wobble (oreo twist) that I've read about in recent weeks was present. By no means was it terrible or unbearable, and it became pretty much nonexistent once the rep snapped the case on, but I still don't feel like I should have to snap a case on to eliminate an issue that Palm should take care of. It's really not that big a deal though. (Oh, getting the case off was a hassle).

2. I detest the glossy finish. I'm pretty sure that I will be getting the case for that reason, among others.

Miscellaneous Hardware Stuff:

Though the slider on the model worked well, I’m concerned that it would not last two years of the normal grind. I certainly wish Palm would have added an onscreen keyboard (like that other company). Is there a homebrew app for that yet?

Though I did experience some wobble, it’s not a total deal-breaker for me. With that said however, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that I receive one with no wobble, as some of the recent buyers have reported. One remaining thought is that I didn't notice the gap in between the slider and the rest of the phone that I've read about. That's slightly encouraging.

The phone was plugged in the whole time, so I was unable to gauge just how the activities that I performed on the phone affect the life of the battery. That's probably my biggest current concern as I continue to research and save up.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 08/05/2009 at 02:49 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Here are my thoughts on the SOFTWARE

THE GOOD:

1. What can I say? WebOS is RIDICULOUS! I’m absolutely in love with it. I find it to be so much more responsive than any other smartphone's OS I’ve used or played with to date (kudos to the hardware on that as well). The ‘cards’ are amazing. I barely had to swipe to move things where I wanted them to be or get rid of cards and apps or bring up the launcher. I was (and still am) absolutely blown away by how easily and effortlessly one can navigate the different areas and applications on the phone.

2. The gestures are great. It’s just an ingenious concept and design. Kudos to the developers for coming up with this facet of the Pre. I’m sure all of you Pre owners are not only enjoying it but also find it very practical and, as such, use it all the time. I know I would. Again, kudos to Palm.

3. I like the little “ripple” effect whenever you push on something. That was a nice, subtle thing to add. I don’t know if any other smartphone does it, but it’s nice.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:

The only thing that I noticed is that things do seem to lag a bit, especially when more than four or so applications are running. There were times that it seemed the phone also struggled to open certain applications (namely e-mail) even when there were no other applications running in the background. Like the oreo-effect, though, it’s not at all a deal-breaker for me. I really noticed nothing else that made me think that getting the Pre would be a bad decision.

Well, there’s the wrap-up of my first impression of the Palm Pre. I truly feel that we could finally have a bonafide “iPhone killer” on our hands. It’ll be Pre’s job to not drop the ball on this one.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 08/05/2009 at 10:48 PM.
    Nice review. I hope you enjoy your Pre when you get it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Nice review. I hope you enjoy your Pre when you get it.
    Thanks, Ron. I, too, hope I enjoy it. If the one I receive is as good as the model, then there is no doubt that I'm going to enjoy it.
    1.1 Sped up my phone BIG-TIME. Im not sure if the phone you used was updated to 1.1
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    2. I detest the glossy finish. I'm pretty sure that I will be getting the case for that reason, among others.

Miscellaneous Hardware Stuff:

Though the slider on the model worked well, Iím concerned that it would not last two years of the normal grind.
    Couple of things for these points. First, get a touchstone. Not only is the device great, but the back that you put on the phone isn't glossy, and is excellent. I also thought the phone had a little too much gloss, but with the Touchstone matte back, it's perfect.

And as far as the slider needing to last 2 years, that hits on one thing a lot of people forget about Sprint. If you have a Pre, then you have one of their Everything plans. And if you have an Everything plan, as far as I can tell, then you qualify as a Premier customer. And one of the huge perks of being a Premier customer is that you only have to wait ONE year before being eligible for new customer/lowest possible price on another new phone! If the Pre 2/Post/whatever comes out on Sprint next summer, I can get it for exactly the same price as a new customer, because I'm a Premier customer! It's excellent!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttremblay View Post
    1.1 Sped up my phone BIG-TIME. Im not sure if the phone you used was updated to 1.1
    It was 1.1. I checked the information on the phone. It's so convenient that I could look it up on the phone itself (another plus).

Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Couple of things for these points. First, get a touchstone. Not only is the device great, but the back that you put on the phone isn't glossy, and is excellent. I also thought the phone had a little too much gloss, but with the Touchstone matte back, it's perfect.
    Yeah, I've read good things about the touchstone and had planned on looking into getting it. Thanks for the suggestion. My only concern would have to be that I hear the cases, which I believe I want, don't work extremely well with the TS charger. The Siedio works better than the Rocketfish (or whatever) in that regard, but I hear you still have to find a sweet spot for the phone to charge properly.

And as far as the slider needing to last 2 years, that hits on one thing a lot of people forget about Sprint. If you have a Pre, then you have one of their Everything plans. And if you have an Everything plan, as far as I can tell, then you qualify as a Premier customer. And one of the huge perks of being a Premier customer is that you only have to wait ONE year before being eligible for new customer/lowest possible price on another new phone! If the Pre 2/Post/whatever comes out on Sprint next summer, I can get it for exactly the same price as a new customer, because I'm a Premier customer! It's excellent!
    I did not even know this information. Once again, thank you for the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind when the new Pre hits the market.
    This was a very fair and rather accurate review IMO. Hope you enjoy it. Couple things though:

1. There will be some wobble.
    2. The battery is only an 1150 mah battery so don't expect miracles. You should get through a work day though. However I'd pickup a car charger as well. Or get a spare battery (can also go bigger with the Seidio) if you need it to last longer.

I'd also take the insurance for peace of mind. However, I'm not that concerned about long term durability. As flimsy as the mechanism might feel to some, having dropped mine on concrete from a good height and not notice anything loose or strange, I will say it's stronger than it seems. It was only one time, but I've seen many a phone come apart with the same type of fall. Anyway, good luck with your purchase.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I was fortunate enough to get a pre with no oreo effect. I would suggest when you buy the PRE...and you should, have them pull it out of the box right then and there and if there is oreo, tell them you want another one. As far as the slider lasting two years, I have the everything plan and insurance. If the slider doesn't work, I don't have a problem taking the phone in and saying fix it or give me another one that works correctly.

1.1 sped me up as well.

No matter what phone you have, this is an upgrade. The developers for the WebOS are coming out with new stuff like wildfire, so there will be an app for that....
    I agree that the Sprint Premier loyalty program is nice. I knew about the phone upgrade perk but your telling of it is nicer than I recall. Here's what the official words say:

Sprint Premier Upgrade: Eligible customers with service on the same device for more than 12 consecutive months may be eligible for $150 instant savings with a renewed 2-year agreement. Valid only on the eligible Primary line....

See Terms and Conditions for the full statement. Regardless, it's a nice perk and like you I'll check out what it means next summer!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wardbro View Post
    I was fortunate enough to get a pre with no oreo effect. I would suggest when you buy the PRE...and you should, have them pull it out of the box right then and there and if there is oreo, tell them you want another one. As far as the slider lasting two years, I have the everything plan and insurance. If the slider doesn't work, I don't have a problem taking the phone in and saying fix it or give me another one that works correctly.

1.1 sped me up as well.

No matter what phone you have, this is an upgrade. The developers for the WebOS are coming out with new stuff like wildfire, so there will be an app for that....
    I hear you, Wardbro. Believe me, the Pre would definitely be an upgrade for me. I must say that the phone I have now has been nothing but good to me for 2+ years.

As I mentioned, the wobble that I noticed was not that bad and some feel that there will be some wobble no matter what. Others, like you, have reported no wobble. If I can help it, I want to walk out of BB with a phone devoid of any wobble. If not, I only hope that the one I get doesn't twist too much. I know me, and I'm telling you that too much wobble would annoy me to no end.

How often are there software updates I've read that Pre has done a masterful job thus far of quickly fixing a lot of the software bugs via updates. How often are they delivered, assuming it's at regular intervals?