1.    #1  
    it seem as though my Pre is acting up. When I charge my phone it seems like a ghost is tapping on my screen constantly. As a result, it starts sending emails , calling people etc.

Am i able to exchange my phone after the 30 day ?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Sprint's customer care number 18006396111

If you're not insured with Sprint, you may qualify for a manufacturer's warranty through Palm. The downside is that you'll need to mail in your phone.

Otherwise, did you pay by a credit card that extends your return period? For example, my AMEX and VISA cards extend the return period to 90 days.
    hey that happened to me 3 days ago, i had 30 apps opened 3 numbers called and a dead phone in the morning and now my alarms don't go off, i just restarted it see if that fixes it. Hasn't done the tapping thing though a 2nd time yet, i'm thinking the screen must not have been locked and the charger made it hot and i had it laying face down that caused it, so am going to see if it happens again. I would think if the screen wasn't locked it could very well happen i usually just lay my phone down to charge without locking it and leaving the screen on assuming it'll go off.
  4.    #4  
    I have insurance... so am i good to just walk in and return it ?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I work for sprint as a technician and the way its works is if your phone is still within 30 days of activation you can return to where you bought it and you will be given another palm pre but if it is after the 30 days you have to take it to a service and repair center and they will diagnose the phone to see if it is repairable if so it will be repaired free of charge as long as the unit is does not have any physical or liquid damage, and the way the warranty works is every phone has a one year warranty from the date of activation any kind of defect will be covered if you have no isurance or service plan but you dont have to mail your phone the local sprint repair center will order you a replacement and when he replacement arrives you pick it up and the old unit gets sent back... that way they dont leave you with out a phone ....
    Quote Originally Posted by illfill View Post
    I work for sprint as a technician and the way its works is if your phone is still within 30 days of activation you can return to where you bought it and you will be given another palm pre but if it is after the 30 days you have to take it to a service and repair center and they will diagnose the phone to see if it is repairable if so it will be repaired free of charge as long as the unit is does not have any physical or liquid damage, and the way the warranty works is every phone has a one year warranty from the date of activation any kind of defect will be covered if you have no isurance or service plan but you dont have to mail your phone the local sprint repair center will order you a replacement and when he replacement arrives you pick it up and the old unit gets sent back... that way they dont leave you with out a phone ....
    That's great info and all...but dude, there's a period key on the keyboard for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by illfill View Post
    Yeah Sprint fixed this policy this year then they changed the deductibles on Assurion. It used to be if you didn't pay for TEP and you had warranty work you had to mail the phone to the manufacturer. If you had TEP sprint would do it in store. Now if you don't have TEP but are under your warranty Sprint will handle the warranty claim for you. Getting you a phone back much faster.
    Same thing just happened to me. I got my phone on launch day and just tried to get it exchanged today. It took a little runaround but when i finally got to someone who knew what to do, he ordered me a new one. Said it is suppose to arrive on Friday.

I talked to palm customer service and they said the same thing illfill said, they have a deal with sprint, for 1 year sprint will cover warranty issues.
    Would that be a "new" phone or a "refurbished" phone?
    My keyboard stopped working this weekend, tried a bunch of stuff finally thought it was time to go to the service center. The phone had no damage or anything, keyboard quit while I was typing, looked like the space key got stuck.

Service center looked at the phone, and their first question was if I was insured. That question really pissed me off. I said no, they said they'll repair it for $100.

I said no way and threatened to close my account (this is my 5th Pre), and finally they relented said they'll order a replacement for me free of charge. While waiting we managed to get the keyboard working again with a battery reset (soft reset via Device Info itself didn't work.)

So I was spared a replacement and happy to keep my Pre, but this is not reassuring. They can't lock me in for 2 years and tell me I'll have to start paying up for a working phone during that time period. I'm not buying insurance, I'm hoping that Palm's warranty is solid. But as far as confidence in Sprint, I have none.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysurfer View Post
    Would that be a "new" phone or a "refurbished" phone?
    Only refurbished phones after 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    Sprint's customer care number 18006396111

If you're not insured with Sprint, you may qualify for a manufacturer's warranty through Palm. The downside is that you'll need to mail in your phone.

Otherwise, did you pay by a credit card that extends your return period? For example, my AMEX and VISA cards extend the return period to 90 days.
    This has been changed. Even if you don't pay for TEP Sprint will handle the warranty claim for you. http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-warranty-changes-better

You'll see on those charts what extras you get with TEP. Atleast Sprint is handling warranty claims in house now and not leaving you without a phone for days.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusismetal View Post
    Only refurbished phones after 30 days.
    He's right, unless they don't have a refurb to give you. I once had a Sprint Touch replaced at 6 months and I got a brand new box with new accessories and all. It all depends on their stock. They will order it though and not give it to you from store inventory. Chances are you will be getting a new phone. So far everyone else has as there isn't much in terms of refurbs to give out if any.
    I've had the same issue happen to me twice. The first time it happened, I was using the browser and typing into a text box when an incoming text message arrived. The last letter I typed was "o", and a bunch of "o"s started filling up the text box. The backspace key didn't work, and when I minimized the browser to get to the home screen, "o"s started filling up the universal search. Since the keyboard stopped working, I couldn't do a soft-reset with Orange+R+Sym. So I did a soft reset with the power and ringer switch, but the keyboard still didn't work after powering up. I had to do a battery reset to get the keyboard working again.

It happened a second time, and this time, there was no incoming text message. I was typing into a browser text box again, and the keyboard got stuck on the "space" key. I had to do another battery reset.

I don't think I'm typing too quickly for the Pre because there is no lag on the screen, but I would hate to keep doing battery resets if the keyboard locks up again. This isn't a problem that I can replicate...it just happens randomly. I'm also on my 2nd Pre...didn't have this issue with the 1st one. Help please.

Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    My keyboard stopped working this weekend, tried a bunch of stuff finally thought it was time to go to the service center. The phone had no damage or anything, keyboard quit while I was typing, looked like the space key got stuck.

Service center looked at the phone, and their first question was if I was insured. That question really pissed me off. I said no, they said they'll repair it for $100.

I said no way and threatened to close my account (this is my 5th Pre), and finally they relented said they'll order a replacement for me free of charge. While waiting we managed to get the keyboard working again with a battery reset (soft reset via Device Info itself didn't work.)
    Yeah, same thing, was typing furiously into a reply box on precentral

I doubt it's a physical problem since it can be fixed with a battery reset. Most likely a driver issue that's not specific to the device.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    i went to my local sprint store on sunday to repair my pre the top part of the pre was very loose and it had a bigger gap between the front and back part of the phone i called cs they said i had to take in so i did when i got there i showed the phone and they took it to the repair guy and he needed to replace it but the funny thing i thought i was getting a refurb phone, but he got a brand spanking new one didnt ask any question or nothing, which is weired cause they usually ask some dumb randam questions .. i do have insurance on the phone though maybe that had something to do and i was past the 30 days, so i was happy with my new pre and now i have two of everything that came with the phones