Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I called Sprint yesterday to find that no one there really knows much about the Pre. I called because I wanted to see if there was any way to possibly speed my phone up.

Just as were all aware, the sprint TV hack (changing the buffer from 7 to 20) may speed up or clear up the video. I needed my MSL#, so I called. I was hung up on or lost my connection with them 3 times and after dealing with 3 different rep's of which none knew how to help me or what I was actually talking about one sends me to a Palm rep.

**Read Here to Skip***
    This is were things got a little interesting. I'm not sure about you guys, but I was plenty PS'ed to find that even with my $8 plan with Sprint, that I thought cover's every aspect of the Pre (Hell if I lose it, it's replaced) I need to be sent to Palm. Why would this upset me.....? Speaking with the rep, that was obviously in another country and having to deal with that. He put me on hold to "check on my issue" and left me there for over 10 minutes, but..... but not before letting me know that I have 30 day's of support remaining and after 90 days to get assistance from Palm on any issue that can't be resolved via Sprint is a $14.99 charge per incident... WOW, when I heard that my jaw dropped I felt like I needed a shower... Dirty... Dirty....

Any thoughts, should this not upset me... What are your thoughts, does this cheapen the who experience for you?
    It sounds like you spoke to customer support, not tech support.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    dunno bout that, I asked for Teck support and they said that what I needed was beyond them and sent me to PALM...
    Actual policy is that Palm gives you 90 days free assistance regardless of the question, even if it's a question regarding what pants to wear tonight. After the 90 days, but less than one year, you can still ask whatever questions you want regarding the Pre, but it will cost you 14.99. This is the fee unless your call results in a repair ticket which will zero out the fee.
    My actual policy is that i'd tell sprint to cancel my account before i pay for tech support. You're paying monthly to use their service. They have an obligation to support their devices so that you can use their service..assuming it doesn't need a repair or replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    My actual policy is that i'd tell sprint to cancel my account before i pay for tech support. You're paying monthly to use their service. They have an obligation to support their devices so that you can use their service..assuming it doesn't need a repair or replacement.
    I would agree with you on this, but Palm requires issues be escallated to them when the go past the knowledge base of the Sprint support group. It's not a matter of Sprint not wanting to support certain things, it is that they cannot.

Think Apple/Microsoft on this one. ATT cannot support all Iphone issues, because Apple requires ATT customer to bring their Iphone to them. Microsoft works in the opposite fashion. Sure you have a copy of Windows "whatever" Ultimate Extreme Really Cool, but don't call Microsoft with your HP or Dell laptop. HP and Dell are responsible to support the OS, not Microsoft. (Learned that one the hard way after many moons on a support call)
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHO_ONE View Post
    Any thoughts, should this not upset me... What are your thoughts, does this cheapen the who experience for you?
    I have plenty of thoughts but I'll reserve them. No, you should not be upset and no, it does not cheapen anything. What do you want, everything for free forever? You didn't even pay full price for the phone. Do you expect that you should continue to receive subsidies for everything, including "how do I hack/modify my phone?" I don't even want to know what you'd think if you actually had a defect in the phone that you called to get help with.

Pogey summarized it well. Notice there's still no "free hacking/modifying support" included. But they'll actually help you with anything for the first 90 days for free. I think they're kinda crazy to do that, but if they budget that support in, they might as well give the agents something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Actual policy is that Palm gives you 90 days free assistance regardless of the question, even if it's a question regarding what pants to wear tonight. After the 90 days, but less than one year, you can still ask whatever questions you want regarding the Pre, but it will cost you 14.99. This is the fee unless your call results in a repair ticket which will zero out the fee.
    BTW, by hack/modify I'm referring to anything not specifically intended for users, like your example about changing buffers, increasing performance etc. I don't think that's in the manual. Not that it's a problem to mess with it, but it's not something I'd expect them to support in general.
    It sounds perfectly fair to me. We pay the lowest monthly fee for our phone service. I'll say it again, that fee is for phone service. And you get what you pay for. If you want additional services go with a more expensive carrier.

When you buy the phone from Palm (usually Via Sprint) you're paying for the phone. If you want service or support you need to pay for that too.

Geez! If you were the person selling a product, you wouldn't then be giving away other services for free either. You would be complaining and talking about how a guy's gotta make a living. Don't expect from others what you aren't or wouldn't be willing to do yourself.
    Well, like the other guy said, it depends on what you're wanting support for. If i hack it, then have trouble, i can understand. If you create your own problems, you should pay for them.

If i'm having trouble setting up my email (not that i would..:P), that's a different story.

But its only common sense to provide enough support to keep the monthly revenue coming in. I have a bunch of accounting clients. One, the other day had his computer go heywire and no backup. I spent 2-3 hours getting his bookkeeping back in order. I'm more interested in enabling him to keep paying me every month than i am about charging him for those few unplanned hours.
    Umm you do realize Sprint change this policy this year. You are completely covered by a Sprint Service and Repair center if you pay the $7 TEP. Remember it has to be a store that has a service and repair center, and you go to that section of the store. They will take your phone diagnose it and if they can't fix it order you another one. There is no deductible unless it's physical damage or water.

Now this is the part that changed this year. If you don't pay TEP you now get your warranty work through Sprint and not the manufacturer. They will cover manufacturer defects free of charge.

http://www.wmexperts.com/sprint-warranty-changes-better

So yeah we still pay the least of all the carriers and get the best coverage.

Personally I have TEP cuz I never know when I'm going to get stabbed and have my phone break the impact. Plus I like the total care they give me at the store. Now they give you pretty close care without paying for TEP.