1.    #1  
    ok my cousin is on Verizon and he is waiting for the pre in 2010 its not that far away. the question is i think sprint will always have a upper hand on whats coming next from palm, the pre in 2010 will be old technology to me and he also thinks the same. I think sprint will most likely have the successor to the pre ready for june 2010. so i just want to ask you guys do you think my cuz should wait for Verizon in 2010 or wait for sprint in the summmer of 2010?
    Last edited by Young HoV 718; 08/05/2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: belongs in cross platfrom my mistake
    This is a good question. I'd say it depends on your cousin. Is he happy with Verizon? Is the coverage great for him? If so, I'd say he should wait. I'm a Sprint user, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sprint, but on the other hand, if he's happy with his network coverage now, it's doubtful that he'll be happier with Sprint, and he takes a chance that he will be less happy. He will probably spend a little less money every month with Sprint. So that may be a factor for him to consider.

But the Pre will be even better than it is now by the time 2010 rolls around. I doubt that it will feel like old technology. I also doubt that there will be a significant refresh to the Pre in summer 2010. I can imagine a bump up in memory to 16GB or more. There will probably be a completely new product to replace the Centro too. But I think the Pre will still feel like a great phone next summer.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    ditto (jbg7474). I would only add that here in upstate NY I roam to "V" a few times a day and there are no additional fees. But the data may not work at times with lack of Sprint reception.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I doubt much of the hardware will change in such a short time the os isn't even fully optimized for the current specs. In 2010 the 3gs and pre will still be the two best phones imo android phones have yet to deliver a phone with hardware that can really keep up with what android can do.
    I guess this is an anti-Verizon post although I really am not a hater or anything. But here goes...

What do they have in their lineup that anyone would want anyway? Seriously, some LG's or Samsungs? A BB Pearl or Storm? Tour maybe I guess but speaking of old technology... Plus you pay 20% more per month on many plans.

They have great coverage but they never have the best and newest phones and are too expensive compaired to Sprint.

I would jump on the Pre as long as sprint coverage in his area is good. It's very good here. If Sprint is not an option I would wait. Maybe an Andriod phone will show up or maybe an iPhone Nano or something down the road. But I wouldn't be tempted by anything in their current or announced lineup.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the Pre and I've been very happy! Neither carrier is perfect, but have had no huge problems with either. I'd suggest finding a friend who has Sprint and make sure they get coverage in areas that are important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    But I wouldn't be tempted by anything in their current or announced lineup.
    Since their announced lineup now includes the Pre, you might be tempted by that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    I think sprint will most likely have the successor to the pre ready for june 2010. so i just want to ask you guys do you think my cuz should wait for Verizon in 2010 or wait for sprint in the summmer of 2010?
    Were it my cousin, I'd tell him to buy mine when I upgraded...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is a good question. I'd say it depends on your cousin. Is he happy with Verizon? Is the coverage great for him? If so, I'd say he should wait. I'm a Sprint user, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sprint, but on the other hand, if he's happy with his network coverage now, it's doubtful that he'll be happier with Sprint, and he takes a chance that he will be less happy. He will probably spend a little less money every month with Sprint. So that may be a factor for him to consider.

But the Pre will be even better than it is now by the time 2010 rolls around. I doubt that it will feel like old technology. I also doubt that there will be a significant refresh to the Pre in summer 2010. I can imagine a bump up in memory to 16GB or more. There will probably be a completely new product to replace the Centro too. But I think the Pre will still feel like a great phone next summer.
    He had sprint before and left for the storm, he only uses cdma he just doesn't know if he should cancel now and get a pre or wait till verizons.
  10.    #10  
    He basically doesn't want to get a pre for verizon then 3 months later sprint gets a pre 2. Now if we factor in that if he cancels verizon now and gets a pre he will still not be able to upgrade to whatever palm has next in line. I'm just gonna tell him to wait.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I've heard/been told, the Pre device is here to stay for a long while. The idea was to not change hardware, to make all changes, even major, with software.

Makes a lot of sense in many regards.

But them again, look at what Verizon got for the HTC. Although I doubt it wold be worth it to take a platform like this and neuter hardware (like they did with HTC) just to have another carrier variant. Back in the day, that was the most confusing thing ever. Same hardware but a carrier specific variant for every friggen carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    I've heard/been told, the Pre device is here to stay for a long while. The idea was to not change hardware, to make all changes, even major, with software.

Makes a lot of sense in many regards.
    This matches what Palm (and Handspring) have done with the Treo series since it first came out. At least 2 years between major model upgrades.

Besides, who says Verizon's Pre won't be an update of the original Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    This matches what Palm (and Handspring) have done with the Treo series since it first came out. At least 2 years between major model upgrades.

Besides, who says Verizon's Pre won't be an update of the original Pre?
    When has anything Verizon got after Spritn been an upgrade? With Verizon it usually goes the other way around.
    I think if there is another Pre, the only hardware difference will be a larger hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I think if there is another Pre, the only hardware difference will be a larger hard drive.
    Huh!

What I miss? My Pre doesn't have a hard drive. Only flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Huh!

What I miss? My Pre doesn't have a hard drive. Only flash.
    We can deal with semantics, but people will get the point.
  17.    #17  
    I honestly think palm will follow apple and update every summer.
    Apple iphone>iphone 3g>iphone 3gs>?
    Palm pre>4g Palm Pre(sprint wimax)and verizon LTE
    Palm needs to keep up with apple and rim, Ruby aint playing games jus wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    He basically doesn't want to get a pre for verizon then 3 months later sprint gets a pre 2. Now if we factor in that if he cancels verizon now and gets a pre he will still not be able to upgrade to whatever palm has next in line. I'm just gonna tell him to wait.
    Remember Sprint Premier customers get to upgrade their phone every year. You don't have to wait the 2 years for your contract to end to get the full upgrade discount, you get the full upgrade discount every 12 months.