Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, I'm not sure how to do this so I'm looking for a little help. I had the 150.00 $ discount from sprint and bought my pre opening day at Best Buy (avoiding the rebate) and love it. I then went to Best Buy for my sons Birthday 3 weeks later and bought him the pre for his birthday. Now he had the 75.00 upgrade from sprint, but Best buy sold me the phone for 199.00 so I figured it was a great loophole, as I was expecting $199 plus another $75 dollars. but it wasnt the case.

Well my wifes Birthday is next week so I went into Best Buy (as she also has the sprint 75$ upgrade discount) but I was denied and told that they cant sell me the phone at a discount at all (Loophole closed). I then thought that I could just suck up and pay the 100 dollar rebate and buy her the phone for 299$ minus the 100$rebate and plus the 75$ at the Sprint store. I was told to get the full discount that she needed to have her current phone for 24 months to get the discount. She has until April to hit 24 months and the total that sprint told me was around $400!! without the rebate!!

So I ask you, whats the best way to get my wife this phone for her birthday without paying an arm and a leg? I dont mind extending the contract, is Ebay with a clean ESN the best way? I need advice, please help.
    Best Buy sells them for $199 straight up, no "loophole".
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Best Buy sells them for $199 straight up, no "loophole".
    with upgrade or new contract
  4.    #4  
    I did that, Best Buy said that they cant do it until my wifes current phone reaches 24 months. Sprint somehow closed the loophole. Yes it was an upgrade.
    you can run that risk on E-bay, Pay full price through Sprint ( full price is not the discounted before rebate of $299 like everyone thinks) or call and see as you have been an excellent customer and really would like this for your Wife and maybe get a Service Credit.

I just got a service credit on a phone for my kid as her old one was a POS and this was their workaround to get me close to Upgrade price.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, I did that and as an 11 year customer, they offered me 100 dollar service credit, but all said and done the phone would still be around 400 dollars.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    You didn't get a loophole, you got $$$ credit indirectly thru BB. I'm sure the extra "loyalty" credit was used to keep you sons Pre at $199. They have money to do that and will if you're up for renewal. They will jump to retain a sub.

In your wifes case, they aren't at risk, yet, of losing a sub. so they're not cutting a deal that she'll be eligible for at 22 months in to her current contract.

However, I'd call Sprint sales and see if they'll cut you a deal, so to speak. It sounds like you're all on different contracts? Maybe upgrade your plan to a share plan and see if they'll let her upgrade as well. She'll have to be on a Everything plan anyway.

But call, and if needed, ask to be transferred to a retention agent and see what they'll do. A longer commitment with a high $$ plan might interest them.
  8.    #8  
    I did, I'm on the everything data family plan. They sold my sons for 199 but wont do the same for my wife. I was told I have to wait til April. My son and wife were at the 75 dollar discount, but I waited on my wifes phone. I think sprint realized they made a mistake.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I did, I'm on the everything data family plan. They sold my sons for 199 but wont do the same for my wife. I was told I have to wait til April. My son and wife were at the 75 dollar discount, but I waited on my wifes phone. I think sprint realized they made a mistake.
    But you're talking to BB right? If so, call Sprint directly. It makes a difference. They may still not want to do it, but you never know.
  10.    #10  
    I did call sprint, they offered me a 100 dollar service credit, but the phone would still be just over 400 dollars.
    Go to a Sprint store, tell them you'll pay $200 to cancel your contract and then jump to AT&T to buy an iPhone. They'll gladly sell you a Pre at upgrade price.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    u should be able to upgrade within 2 months of your contract ending. you should also be a sprint premier customer, which would let u upgrade every year rather than waiting 18-22 months for the next one. if you have been with sprint for more than 10 years u should be automatically made a sprint premier customer. u should really call sprint and talk to them about that. also, ur upgrade fees/ activation fees should be waived. check your wife's upgrade eligibility on sprint.com or visit your closest radioshack or sprint store. best buy isnt the most helpful retailer out there.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    The premier only allows for one annual upgrade on the account, typically for the primary line.

Threatening to cancel in a store will likely get you a shrug.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    Personally I don't think you have much of a chance. I tried the samething you did with my daughter and Sprint gave me the same story.

Somebody told me they added a line to the account and got the discount. Then after a month the switched the new phone to the old number and cancelled the new phone line. At least that is what they said. I haven't tried it.

I got my phone by adding a new line and then switching phone numbers after a month. But I kept the new line because I cancelled my land line and my kids at need a phone at home.

I love my Pre.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Tommy, I'll try Radio shack and I'll also call sprint back to see if I can be upgraded to premier. I was with Nextel for 6 years and then switched to sprint at the beginning of the merger. If not, she has to wait until March.

So I take it Ebay is a bad idea?
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    HORRRIBLE IDEA no ebay. i would stay away from ebay. and theres always a discount that you can add on to sprint. call sprint up and say you want to add an AOL/Time Warner member discount. if you add that discount it waives your activation fee and gives you 10% off your bill for as long as you stay with sprint. the discount is not eligible for family simply everything plans or aircards. it is, however eligible for everything else. the sprint rep will ask you for a coorporate ID. the code you give them is NATWC_AAA_ZZZ. when they ask how you get the discount, tell them its a promotion sprint is having for AOL members and that you have an AOL account. make an AOL email account up or u can do it for real. its free. hope this helps everyone out =D
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    FYI. this only waives NEW ACTIVATION FEES NOT UPGRADE FEES. but the discount will be applied for new AND old sprint accounts if you DONT have any discounts already. discounts DO NOT stack. only ONE discount may be applied per account
    dude. I would call customer care, give your story to the rep, they say they can't do anything, threaten to cancel your phones, the rep. sends you to the retention dept. where you tell your story (embellished with how much your wife so wants this phone and you want to get it for her using the money you would use to feed your kids with, blah, blah, if need be) and see what happens. retention usually comes through. they don't want to lose an 11 year customer.
    Simple solution:

You get a new line on the family plan and pay the $199 price for that phone. You promptly cancel that line, but keep the phone and thus pay the $200 ETF. Your total is $399, saving you $1.

Cheapest route for sure.

Note: this is a joke and not to be taken seriously.
    you could always sell your used phones on ebay to help recoup some $$$

ebay isn't a bad place to buy a phone, but you do have to be careful... and with so many problems with the Pre... perhaps its not the best idea...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast