Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    ouch

I would have just left it at that, but your last comment on saying how 'ive been with sprint for X amount of years' and comparing it to Joe Shmuck for a disount shows YOUR character.

....sometimes saying less is more
    trim, perhaps that came out the wrong way. It wasn't meant to insult a new customer, I was just making a point that anybody "BUT" a loyal customer can come in and get the phone for $199.

I as an 11 year customer have stuck with sprint through thick (very thick) and thin, and I cant get my wife the price of $199 because I'm 8 months away.

Zelet, you are wrong. You cant get the rebate until 22 mo's into the service and the extra hundred dollars just brought me down to, and here's the quote direct from Sprint "Upgrade Pricing for You $474.99". Then they offered me a 100 dollar credit which wouldve made the phone $374.99. 199 compared to 374.99?, thats the TOTAL cost of a new Pre for my wife. I know because I was on the phone for an hour with customer service and accounting.

The bottom line is even with the 75 dollars and 100 dollar service credit Sprint says that for my wife to get a Pre she can wait 8 months and get it for $199 or get it now for $374.99. Pardon my tone as I just took offense to being called a cheap ***** by zelet. I'm sorry that being a loyal sprint customer who thought that paying almost double for a phone was ridiculous when a new customer can get it for 199.00. That is why I was asking about Ebay or other sources, because it would be nice to surprise my wife with a pre for her birthday.

Like I said before I would glady extend my family contract 24 months plus another 8 months. Again pardon me for liking sprint and the pre and wanting to get one for my wife, like my name I'm no phone geek. I will probably have the pre for another 5 or 6 years if it lasts. But I just think that its unfair to give the phone for $199 to people that jump ship back and forth than for someone thats been there for 11 years.

If anyone has any advice without the name calling I would appreciate it. I will pay 275 dollars, but thats about my limit for a new pre.

Thanks for your help
    notaphonegeek,

I was 2 months away from my 22 month eligibility and they wouldn't budge on me. Of course that was when the phone just came out. I opened another line and am just going to cancel the older line in another month when it's out of contract. I couldn't wait, and I wanted a phone number in my new area code anyway.

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but in the end it's business. They want to recoup the rebate they gave you on that last phone and according to their policy that requires them to not give your wife a discount for another 7 months. I'm only one year off from you in terms of how long I've been with Sprint. I usually upgrade phones every year, and only take the discount every other upgrade. I offset my upgrades by selling my phone since I sell them fairly new I usually get a decent amount.
  3.    #43  
    I have the sprint family everything data 1500 min, 5 lines of service with the sprint family locator, with mine being the primary line. I've had 2 phones for 11 years, then added another phone 6 years ago for my oldest and 2 additional phones (for my other kids) for 2 years.

But according to zelet, I'm a net loss???
  4.    #44  
    Thanks donatom, yes I'm guessing she will have to wait. The only difference is I keep my phones until they die lol. They begged me everytime I was on the phone to buy a new one, but I held out and was worth the wait as I love the pre. I thought about just switching phones with my wife, but I dont think I'd look good in a pink centro!

I was just hoping someone would have an idea on what to do.
    wow yall's phones were expensive, i bought mine from a Sprint store for 100$ (no rebate). Im not sure whats up with that, but i immediatly pulled the 100$ bill out of my pocket and paid it on spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    I have the sprint family everything data 1500 min, 5 lines of service with the sprint family locator, with mine being the primary line. I've had 2 phones for 11 years, then added another phone 6 years ago for my oldest and 2 additional phones (for my other kids) for 2 years.

Most Sprint smartphones are given $350 off the retail price. Including the Pre. That means over 24 months Sprint is recouping $29 per line in this rebate that was given.

Take your plan for example. $119.99 base price plus $60 for your other 3 lines. $179.99 a month. Now three of your smart phones had a discount within the past 2 years. $30 per smart phone is $90 of the monthly rate that they are recouping. I'm not even looking at the 2 other phones you added since they may be dumb phones and get nowhere near the same discount. That's more than half of your monthly bill in discounts that were given to you on your phone.

I know it sucks, but there is a reason they can't give every lines upgrades all of the time.
  7.    #47  
    Yes my 2 youngest got the cheap phones. Hey, I understand in some ways what sprint has to do. Believe me, I just want a reasonable price, not almost double the price. BTW my plan is 129.99 plus 60. It's a great plan and I love sprint, though the pre has worse signal than my wife's centro? Do you know or recommend the airrave??
    Try Craigslist - I just bought a 3 day old Pre with Touchstone and leather case for $300. (same price as it would have been from Sprint with tax) Plus this way you don't need to extend a contract. Where I live (NYC) There are tons of them available on CL.
    Yes my 2 youngest got the cheap phones. Hey, I understand in some ways what sprint has to do. Believe me, I just want a reasonable price, not almost double the price. BTW my plan is 129.99 plus 60. It's a great plan and I love sprint, though the pre has worse signal than my wife's centro? Do you know or recommend the airrave??
    I'm not to nuts about how my airrave works with the Pre. Hopefully you get someone who works at Sprint that can look at more than just the numbers an see the value of keeping a good relationship with a long time customer up.

BTW I forgot to mention this. The Sprint reps would have budged on my 2 month early upgrade request, but immediately mentioned for any phone but the Pre. Of course that was at Pre launch, so who knows now.

I'm going to publicly call myself out for being an oops... language... a mean guy. I was wrong to jump to conclusions and my only excuse is that I've read too many posts from people that try to take advantage of the system. You are not one of those people and I apologize for my remarks.

Please feel free to flame me as much as you would like. I deserve it!
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    I'm not to nuts about how my airrave works with the Pre. Hopefully you get someone who works at Sprint that can look at more than just the numbers an see the value of keeping a good relationship with a long time customer up.

BTW I forgot to mention this. The Sprint reps would have budged on my 2 month early upgrade request, but immediately mentioned for any phone but the Pre. Of course that was at Pre launch, so who knows now.
    Yeah, thanks again. I tried to ask the service reps in the sprint store about the airave, but nobody knew anything about it because they said they dont get any feedback. My wife's Centro gets 3 bars and I get one inside the house. I think I saw on another thread that the pre doesnt work well with it.

I will figure something out, but she will likely have to wait 8 months. Thanks again for you help.
    Yeah, thanks again. I tried to ask the service reps in the sprint store about the airave, but nobody knew anything about it because they said they dont get any feedback. My wife's Centro gets 3 bars and I get one inside the house. I think I saw on another thread that the pre doesnt work well with it.

I will figure something out, but she will likely have to wait 8 months. Thanks again for you help.
    I have an airrave and it works well. It doesn't speed up data but it'll give you good voice service in the house. There is a problem handing the call off either coming or going - can't remember which but overall I'd give it a short. Especially if you can get them to give it to you for free. It depends on the rep sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    I'm going to publicly call myself out for being an oops... language... a mean guy. I was wrong to jump to conclusions and my only excuse is that I've read too many posts from people that try to take advantage of the system. You are not one of those people and I apologize for my remarks.

Please feel free to flame me as much as you would like. I deserve it!
    Zelet, Its ok. I'm a dont worry be happy kinda guy. Everyones situation is different, I often snap at people too. It looks as though you're a vet on the board and I respect you for that. Hopefully in 8 months my wife will have the pre so we can all use the same charger. I've been a happy pre owner since the release date and just wanted to share this great phone with my wife as well.

I just need the Blackjack app!

Thanks guys gotta go!
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Go to a Sprint store, tell them you'll pay $200 to cancel your contract and then jump to AT&T to buy an iPhone. They'll gladly sell you a Pre at upgrade price.
    No, we won't.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    bought mine from ebay, esn was clean, no regrets, except i have to work through palm now instead of sprint stores, on exchanging.
    Are any of your 5 lines eligible ?

If one is eligible, then buy the pre on that line, go home and swap it to your wifes acct Voila.

I PM'd you another option I wont post for the public.
    If my post helped you, Please Thanks Me !
    -sYnOnYx-
    --Pre User--
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    The way I've heard it from every other rep and how it's been in the years (10) that I've been a Sprint customer isn't like that. If you're only eligible for the $75 you get $75 off of the full non contract pricing. So the way I was told multiple times for the Pre would be $549.99 - $75.00 = $474.99. I have been told you are not eligible to any of the other discounts.

And to the OP Sprint lets you get the full upgrade every 22 months not 24. They try to get you to resign 2 months before your contract is up.
    well quite frankly i have to tell you that they dont know what theyre talking about if they told you that. out of the 3 years i have been a sprint rep in CA, i have heard this many times. for example, if you were eligible for 150 off the pre, and the pre costs 550, you do not get the phone for 400 dollars. you get the phone for 200 (assuming you get it at radioshack or bestbuy) same thing for the 75 dollars off deal. you dont get it off the full price. i dont know about the dedicated sprint stores, but at least for radioshack and bestbuy, that is not true. in theory, it should also be the same at the sprint store because it only makes sense. LOL
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    notaphonegeek,

you should really go to a radioshack then. because here in california, you will be able to get the pre for 275.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy K View Post
    well quite frankly i have to tell you that they dont know what theyre talking about if they told you that. out of the 3 years i have been a sprint rep in CA, i have heard this many times. for example, if you were eligible for 150 off the pre, and the pre costs 550, you do not get the phone for 400 dollars. you get the phone for 200 (assuming you get it at radioshack or bestbuy) same thing for the 75 dollars off deal. you dont get it off the full price. i dont know about the dedicated sprint stores, but at least for radioshack and bestbuy, that is not true. in theory, it should also be the same at the sprint store because it only makes sense. LOL
    The way the upgrade system is supposed to work is that the $75 comes off the full non-subsidized retail price. Same as the $150 discount does. Once you can get the $150 discount you also become eligible for any other instant savings offered at the time, and the mail in rebates.

In the case of the Pre this is how it boils down, whether a third party is doing something else of their own accord or not is dependent on what they want to do. But this is the corporate Sprint Store/Sprint.com/Telesales pricing structure.

Retail Price : $550
    12 month, $75 credit: $550 Retail - $75 Instant = $475
    22 month, $150 credit: $550 Retail - $150 Instant - $100 Instant - $100 Mail In Rebate = $200
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    My contract ends on Nov. 1 2009 I'm wanting to get 2 new pre's do you think that they'll let me upgrade early.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast