1.    #1  
    What exactly is a homebrew app? Are these apps being reviewed by any third party and will these apps automatically show up in the App catalog once it goes public? tia
    These apps will not but it's not to say that one just like it Signed under another Dev might.

HomeBrew Apps are just that . HomeBrewed or made by people that don't want to go through all the Rings and Hoops of Palm or Sprint.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the response. Are you saying there are real users browsing this site and downloading apps from the Homebrew section? Isnt this forum mostly for developers? I was going to use the homebrew section to get my app reviewed by fellow developers before releasing it in app catalog when it goes public.

Isn't that the goal of homegrew section? It's hard to imagine any other reason why developers would spend their precious time just to release in the homebrew section because they dont want to go through the rigour of Palm/Sprint release process.

Unless i'm totally off mark...
    I am (as far as I can tell) a REAL USER and not a developer. I use these apps because they work, and they fill a need in the market.

Most of the "brewers" here are not looking to make a mint on their apps, they do it because they love it and they get MUCH appreciation from us lowly "Users". That's not to say that they are opposed to such vile stuff as MONEY, but it's more of a fellowship than a business venture.

I have made donations for apps that I really, really like. It's a voluntary thing, but I would like to encourage (and appreciate) those who have put in the work. I have a couple of ideas for apps myself, but I haven't tried any brewing yet.

Welcome to the fellowship - we're in this together!
    Just look at the Homebrew makers and how many people thank them under their apps.

I would think the Developers on this site and any other is very small compared to the total number of users .

I know some use Homebrew to test their Skills before going through the trouble to get official apps approved. others are just taking Current apps for other platforms and converting them to use with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by steiljes View Post
    thanks for the response. Are you saying there are real users browsing this site and downloading apps from the Homebrew section? Isnt this forum mostly for developers? I was going to use the homebrew section to get my app reviewed by fellow developers before releasing it in app catalog when it goes public.

Isn't that the goal of homegrew section? It's hard to imagine any other reason why developers would spend their precious time just to release in the homebrew section because they dont want to go through the rigour of Palm/Sprint release process.

Unless i'm totally off mark...
    It is very much both. Some developers are people who just want a product for themselves and decided to make it available to others for free or donation. In other cases it is a good way for developers to test their app for bugs. Personally, I wish I had the skills to develop some of these apps because I have ideas and technical expertise in what the app needs, but not the skill to develop the app myself.

Anyone out their looking to develop financial apps let me know.