Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't have any music or movies, a few apps, and a few pics. How can I find out what's sucking up all my available storage?

I rebooted with no effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by photomatic View Post
    I don't have any music or movies, a few apps, and a few pics. How can I find out what's sucking up all my available storage?

whats a few pics?
    are those pics taken from your phone or pics from your pc?
    I had the same thing with my pre had to do a full reset of the phone.
    Expandable memory sure would come in handy about now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Expandable memory sure would come in handy about now...
    Do you even have, or have you even tried a Pre, or do you just like to repeat flaws that everyone already knows about?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Do you even have, or have you even tried a Pre, or do you just like to repeat flaws that everyone already knows about?
    So you think that silly 8GB limit is a flaw too, huh?

About 1 day per week I have a Pre. The rest of the week I have other phones. It's never my primary phone. I only point out what I've seen. I certainly don't need to invent anything.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    maybe its your pics taking up 4GB?...just maybe???
    Quote Originally Posted by photomatic View Post

Have you tried to place your Pre in USB mode and inspect what's in storage? This should give you a better idea of what's eating up your space.

Another thing I just thought of - how is your email synchronization set up? do you download full copies of messages? I did this once and accidently downloaded some 10+ mb emails (tons of attachments) and it ate up all my storage. Check under Email - Preferences and check each account to see if it's downloading your entire mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's a problem no matter how you look at it.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    To most people 8Gb is more than enough. How long did Apple go at 8 Gb and how many more did they sell after the larger capacity units came out? A lot.

That said, once I saw how well the Pre handled music, I wished it had the 30Gb my player in my truck has and I could replace it with the Pre. But it's not a big enough deal for me to want to pay that much more for it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I love my Pre. And the 8GB limit doesn't really bother me much. However, I wish they had added a microSDHC slot as well. Just consider that for a moment.

8BG Internal + 32GB (Current max) MicroSDHC=40GB storage space.

How big is the largest iPhone?

That would have been the way to 'One Up' them.

Hear this Palm? We want internal storage + a microSD slot next time.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    maybe its your pics taking up 4GB?...just maybe???
    4GB of pictures? Thats like thousands, something is wrong with his device he needs to do a reset.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    4GB of pictures? Thats like thousands, something is wrong with his device he needs to do a reset.
    Actually Thats hundreds depending on the resolution the photos were taken in, assuming they werent taken on the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhcalva View Post
    Just consider that for a moment.

8BG Internal + 32GB (Current max) MicroSDHC=40GB storage space.
    Just like my Samsung Omnia has.
    i would say put in USB mode and see where all the info is info is hiding. Also , for email setting i limit mine to one week. maybe that will help you.
  15.    #15  
    I set my emails to 3 days, I only have 20 photos. I hooked up via USB and nothing visible is taking up that much space. I guess it's time for a clean start.
    If you right click/properties....what does the space say.
    i have a question about updates. when we download them does the space they take subtract from our 8gb storage or do they overwrite the old code and delete themselves?
    Judging by the size, i'm assuming they overwrite old code.
    So far I have seen replies requesting info like right click properties of the storage space visible when in drive mode, but no answers to the requested info. This will narrow down where the space is taken up. If it is in here it is simple to clear up by removing unwanted stuff from it. If it's not in that space then it is somewhere in the linux folders of the file system. Cached email, internet cache, cookies, application databases (ex splashID) all take up extra space.

So to start how much space is being used by the portion of the file system you can see while connected to the pc in drive mode. If this doesn't look to be as much as we would expect it to explain away most of the space used then we will want to examine the other aspects.
    I just had the same problem today. Transferred about 5GB of music, vids, and other misc. files from a PC to a Mac. I used the Mac to delete from the Pre after transfer and it still showed full, even on the PC and the Pre's sys info. I changed the hidden files option in Control Panel to show all and there was a ".trashes" folder on the Pre that was about 5GB's so I deleted it. I got my space back and haven't had any problems so far. (Can open apps, make calls, check email, play music and vids.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast