Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    THIS REQUIRES A ROOTED PRE AND CONSOLE ACCESS.

In /etc/ppp/options-cdma, add this to the top of the file:

crtscts
    local

In both /etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down edit the line:
    PPP_SPEED="$3"
    to read:
    PPP_SPEED="921600"

Afterwards you can either cycle pppd by putting it in airplane mode and then taking it out of airplane mode, or if that doesnt work, reboot.

Sprint, by default, limits the baud speed of its data devices to 38400, which will top out downloads at about 30KB/sec. I rooted my pre and enabled iptables tethering via bluetooth but was getting really slow downloads compared to my connection card. On my card I get about 100KB/sec and then I remembered in Windows, Sprint always tries to force the modem config to 38400 and you have to manually set it to 115200. Anyways, 921600 is the maximum speed of ppp(or so I've read...), big YMMV on this. After this 'hack' I'm now getting 60-80KB/sec. DSL reports mobile speed test now says "unstable/too fast result, please try a bigger file" 8-), I also find it funny that the connection password is "palm-cdma"
    Last edited by MmmmGuinness; 08/04/2009 at 05:26 PM.
    I don't know if I could trust this just yet. Could someone test this and verify any results?
    so is this only beneficial while tethering or just in general?
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    im kinda afraid to try it.can anyone confirm this?
    I'll try it tomorrow when I'm at work. I don't really use my PC at home, and I'm in no rush since I'm hooked to the WiFi router here at home on my Pre.
    I made the changes, but since I have an airrave that messes with my 3g we'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if there are any results..
    I made the change and see a bit of an improvement, but I cant tell if its just this or also because of the ##DATA# Sprint Tv hack.
    FWIW, I usually get over 100KB/sec with the Pre as it is.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MmmmGuinness View Post

Sprint, by default, limits the baud speed of its data devices to 38400, which will top out downloads at about 30KB/sec.
    This is not consistent with reality.
    The 38400 is Bits per second. In kb witch is kilobits per second that is 38.4 kb. However this equals out to only 4.8 KB witch is Kilo Bytes... I think...
    <I accidentally the whole pre>

<Palm Pre Speed Test>

Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    I made the change and see a bit of an improvement, but I cant tell if its just this or also because of the ##DATA# Sprint Tv hack.
    What is this Sprint TV hack you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Yes what is this hack??? I checked out ##DATA# and didn't find anything that was changable???
    there's a thread in pre WEBOS Development forum about this topic.
    title "boost-your-internet-sprint-tv"
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    are you kidding me..i get 1meg plus on my att fuze. and why do people say evdo is faster than hsdpa? i never thought to do a speed test with my pre. it just seemed fast enough
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    are you kidding me..i get 1meg plus on my att fuze. and why do people say evdo is faster than hsdpa? i never thought to do a speed test with my pre. it just seemed fast enough
    Troll.

Though, to be honest, HSDPA is theoretically faster than EVDO but while on AT&T my download and 3G reliability really stunk even in the Baltimore area. So Sprint was a better choice for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1801550
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    We all get 1meg+ on evdo. There are pages and pages of speedtest screenshots in the MyTether thread.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    We all get 1meg+ on evdo. There are pages and pages of speedtest screenshots in the MyTether thread.
    Every test out there shows Sprint (when on 3G) is faster than the other providers. And in some cases by a lot. Look it up on BGR, Gizmodo, CNET, etc.
    Well, I tried this, and I got the highest rating I've ever gotton on mobilespeedtest.com. 1.25mb/s, the highest previously was 600kbps. Just retested, got 1.03mb/s.
    Noob here. How do I edit the lines? Pre is in dev mode and charge mode, vi /etc/ppp/options-cdma from novaterm console to add lines stated, but when executing :wq or :wq! I get file is read only. No help typing su and redoing, or chmod 777. No matter what I still get file is read only. How are you guys editing the files? Help!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast