Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    You have to make the make the filesystem read/write:

mount -o remount rw, /

And when you are done, make it read only again:

mount -o remount ro, /

And I am not seeing any difference speed-wise. It was worth a try though. Trying the TV hack next...
    champiful - you need to remount the file system. run:

sudo -i
    mount -o remount,rw /

Then make the changes to the files via the method described. Once you are done, just to be safe, remount the filesystem back in read only mode by running.

mount -o remount,ro /
    Or, you can install nano via the following command(assuming you have optware installed)

ipkg-opt install nano

Then use nano instead of vi. Its much easier, even a caveman could do it.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Some of you noobs are really going to F your phone up one of these days. Just blindly typing things that people say on a message board into a rooted Pre's terminal without fully understanding every command will eventually get you a bricked phone.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I haven't done any speed tweaks (yet) and I just got 1.22 Mbps on mobilespeedtest.com.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> iPhone 4s (Sprint)
    You guys are the bomb! I know that the possibility to F my phone up is high especially for a noob like me, but the temptation is just too great. At least I got insurance right? Aint nothing like learning from your mistakes.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i get 1.5megs on average with my pre on sprints network and about 5megs wifi
    I know I posted in here before that I thought this wouldn't work.. Well I tried this today and WOW the internet got faster... Its nuts now.

Between this and the other tweak my internet seems to be twice as fast as before. Websites i've never been to before on my phone are loading as if they were already cached!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    Some of you noobs are really going to F your phone up one of these days. Just blindly typing things that people say on a message board into a rooted Pre's terminal without fully understanding every command will eventually get you a bricked phone.
    I've only bricked my phone once, and all it took to get it back was the webOS doctor. I'd say the real noob here is the one who doesn't understand that rooting your phone won't allow you to permanently brick your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    I know I posted in here before that I thought this wouldn't work.. Well I tried this today and WOW the internet got faster... Its nuts now.

Between this and the other tweak my internet seems to be twice as fast as before. Websites i've never been to before on my phone are loading as if they were already cached!!
    I didn't expect it to work either, but I'm glad it does. Its a very nice upgrade.
  11.    #31  
    You can also mess with these if you know what you're doing. This script is called when starting your EVDO in /etc/pmnetconfig. /proc/sys/net is where linux network tuning parameters are kept, although a lot of this is based upon the type of network you are on. There are a lot of linux tcp tweaking guides but they are assuming 100Mbit or GigE lan for the values. CDMA is a whole new ballgame. Not only that but the 2.6 kernel is supposed to be adaptive in these values per your environment. I wonder why they hard coded them. The Pre is running a newer kernel than the latest RHEL!

#!/bin/sh

source /etc/pmnetconfig/funcs

${ECHO} '262144' > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
    ${ECHO} '262144' > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
    ${ECHO} '262144' > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default
    ${ECHO} '262144' > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
    ${ECHO} '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rfc1337 (hehehehehehe)
    ${ECHO} '180' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_fin_timeout
    ${ECHO} '60' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_udp_timeout

${ECHO} '6' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_retries2
    ${ECHO} '4' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries

NetCfgCalcPrio ${CMUSBINTERFACENAME}
    ${LOG} "${IPROUTE2} route del default via ${CMUSBDEFAULTGW} dev ${CMUSBINTERFACENAME}"
    ${IPROUTE2} route del default via ${CMUSBDEFAULTGW} dev ${CMUSBINTERFACENAME}
    ${LOG} "${IPROUTE2} route add default via ${CMUSBDEFAULTGW} dev ${CMUSBINTERFACENAME} metric ${CMIFPRIO}"
    ${IPROUTE2} route add default via ${CMUSBDEFAULTGW} dev ${CMUSBINTERFACENAME} metric ${CMIFPRIO}

if [ -e ${NETCFGTMPDIR} ]; then
    ${RM} -rf ${NETCFGTMPDIR}
    fi

${MKDIR} ${NETCFGTMPDIR}
    ${TOUCH} ${DNSMASQSERVERCONF}
    ${START} -n dnsmasq

NetCfgClearDns

I also noticed in a config file somewhere that the luna interface is limited to 10MB(or 12, I was looking at a lot of stuff yesterday) of ram. Lots of pre-hacking possibilities!
    Last edited by MmmmGuinness; 08/05/2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I am using winscp to alter the files. Would I add

crtscts
    local

to the very top of the page? with or without the # signs?
    yeah Im one of the newbs whos gonna brick my phone
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by pakuz_757 View Post
    I am using winscp to alter the files. Would I add

crtscts
    local

to the very top of the page? with or without the # signs?
    yeah Im one of the newbs whos gonna brick my phone
    Doesnt really matter, all # does is comment out a line. This is what the first few lines of mine looks like:

root@castle:/etc/ppp# cat options-cdma
    # /etc/ppp/options-cdma
    #
    crtscts
    local
    # Run the executable or shell command specified after pppd has
    # terminated the link. This script could, for example, issue commands
    # to the modem to cause it to hang up if hardware modem control signals
    # were not available.
    connect /etc/chatscripts/connect.chat
    precentral and webos-internals are great sites. I'll be up to speed eventually.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    mount -o remount rw, /

I tried that but still get permission denied
    Last edited by Clipse; 08/05/2009 at 03:12 PM.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    mount -o remount rw, /

I tried that but still get permission denied

mount -o rw,remount /
  17.    #37  
    Ok, for anyone wondering: The PRL list is located in a tarball in /usr/lib/modem/cdmaCust.tar, untarring this gives me Sprint_<zip code here>.prl, however the file is in binary. Are there any programs to edit .prl files? I know some prl hacking is going on out there. Ever since US Cellular installed service in the subway here, I cant get service. Use to default to Verizon and work fine, but now it doesnt. So I'd like to edit Verizon to take priority. Ideas?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MmmmGuinness View Post
    mount -o rw,remount /
    I have no idea what im really doing so let me describe my steps

OK i ssh to the pre using putty.

Then I type sudo -i
    mount -o rw,remount /

when I try to edit the file using winscp it still says permission denied.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I believe it is

Mount -o remount,rw /

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    still no luck the account i created following the web-internal created an unprivalizaged account how can i create a privilage account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast