Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sorry oddlou, when I back space I do get "ill" briefly, the minute I punctuate or space it goes back to "I'll" -- very poor.

Also "LSAT" (as in the test) automatically becomes "LasT" -- also unfixable. Clearly no aspiring lawyers or sickies at Palm!!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinT View Post
    you cant make everyone happy. Just type the E or hit backspace. Let PALM work on more important fixes. While abbreviating might make it easier for you to type, it certainly doesn't make it easier to read. (what the f is sbrlmcae?)
    scramble. the point was that you don't need to spell everything out to get your text message across.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    Sorry oddlou, when I back space I do get "ill" briefly, the minute I punctuate or space it goes back to "I'll" -- very poor.

Also "LSAT" (as in the test) automatically becomes "LasT" -- also unfixable. Clearly no aspiring lawyers or sickies at Palm!!
    Hmmm, that's strange. It doesn't do that to me. When I type "ill" and hit space, it changes it to "I'll", but as soon as I hit backspace, it changes it back to "ill" as it should and the cursor doesn't move back. So I find it odd when you say the minute you space that it goes back to "I'll" because you shouldn't have to hit space to start typing the next word.

By the way, I typed this using my Pre and didn't have any trouble typing ill or LSAT. I just hit backspace to undo the autocorrect. I don't see the problem.
    There is no excuse for abbreviating words when you have a qwerty keyboard.

There is even less of an excuse when you have a phone which will automatically expand certain words for you.

Even though I *hate* "txtspeak", I've been using "u" and "r" on the Pre because they get autoexpanded. So I can save a little time while typing yet not come off looking like a retard.

Autocorrect win. I'm probably even going to add a few to the dictionary, like "tho -> though".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    I can kind of understand both sides. I hate abbreviating words when I can, but when you're restricted to 160 characters for sending out SMS messages, you kinda need to abbreviate to keep your messages within that limit. There should be a toggleable option for auto-correct on SMS messages.
    If you can't fit what you need to say in 160 characters, just send a damn email, or better yet, call them!
    Insp Gadget...the plot thickens!!
    As long as I don't go back for punctuation, it'll leave it alone. Quirky indeed. I'll have to learn to live without punctuation -- or re-work my text so the words fall mid-sentence.
    I suppose all this pre-thinking and re-thinking text to avoid these issues may help prevent dementia in old age though...unintended bonus of Pre.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    wow. lotta strong opinions and intellectual insults over minutia here (and frankly, all throughout these forums). We really need some apps to keep us busy.

I'll make one point: This debate is all about personal preference. The user should be able to exercise personal preference and the device prohibits it.

continue bashing each other
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    wow I don't get why everyone is bashing on the OP. He just wants to know if there is an option to disable auto-correct.

if the guy likes to spell his sentences in his "own way" then let him be.

it's just a phone!
  9. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Don go ther
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123