Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm tempted to say something.... but I won't. Like they say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! :P
    It's polite and appropriate to always spell words properly, whether texting or tweeting for that matter. I never type "u" or "ther" (that one is kind of dumb) or "r" and I can't stand people who think "2" instead of "to" or "4" instead of "for" is okay.

Unless you're 16... please spell properly. I couldn't imaging receiving a text from a co-worker or friend with childish abbreviations.

The Pre is trying to help you be a more courteous texter.

I have an easy solution... try typing "there" and your problem will be solved.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I can kind of understand both sides. I hate abbreviating words when I can, but when you're restricted to 160 characters for sending out SMS messages, you kinda need to abbreviate to keep your messages within that limit. There should be a toggleable option for auto-correct on SMS messages.
    I haven't abbreviated words since my first phone with a full qwerty keyboard.

Whats the point?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I'm tempted to say something.... but I won't. Like they say, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all! :P
    Nah, the saying is, "If you can't say something nice, come sit by me." Followed up with, "I don't repeat gossip - so you'd better listen the first time".

That said - I don't want autocorrect, I want to turn it off. I know how to type - very well, I might add. When I type U, I'm referring to my friend by his first initial and it doesn't need correction. When I type R, I mean R, not are, etc. When I type a capitalized initial followed by a period, followed by a lower case name, that's exactly what I mean because it's probably the taxology of some flora or fauna.

I want the device to display EXACTLY what I type on my keyboard. Auto-correct is annoying as heck and I can't wait for an option or an app that will turn it the frack off.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    I would like to type "ill" when I don't feel well and not have the Pre default to "I'll" -- does anyone know how to fix that without rooting?
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    I would like to type "ill" when I don't feel well and not have the Pre default to "I'll" -- does anyone know how to fix that without rooting?
    With any autocorrected word, just type backspace when the word is autocorrected and it'll go back to the word you typed. So, if you type ill space, it'll autocorrect to I'll. Just hit backspace, and it'll go back to ill.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I love it. I've been typing full words since my first Nextel with T9 like six years ago. Stop being lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan000 View Post
    I love it. I've been typing full words since my first Nextel with T9 like six years ago. Stop being lazy.
    Sometimes it's not being lazy. Part of it is a holdover from the days where you actually had to fit everything within the 160 character limit or from when people had a limited number of text messages per month. The Pre automatically breaks up messages, so that makes it better. But some people still have to worry about how many texts they get- so brevity can be a plus. We don't worry because we have unlimited texts. If you have a friend that has a 500 a month plan, they might appreciate a few shortened words here and there. It's always nice to have options.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Like the others have said just hit the backspace.

But I also understand that it is annoying to some and I wouldn't complain if they added a setting to disable this feature. That being said....

Wouldn't it be easier to abbreviate it like "thr" instead of "ther"? If you only need one more letter i don't see the point behind it. There is a reason months like June and April have no abbreviation.

Anyway, happy fighting.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    actually, June is abbreviated Jun and April is abbreviated Apr
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    you can sbrlmcae the lterets of erevy wrod and polepe can siltl raed it so waht deos it mtaetr if i cut a few out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    so whenever it auto-corrects...hit backspace once n it'll revert back to whatever you typed. Simple.
    of course! backspace! thanks!
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    AUTO CORRECT SUCKS WHEN you WANT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS BUT THE PHONE CORRECTS A WORD AN CHANGE IT TO LOWER CASE. OR AFTER A SYMBOL IT GOES BACK TO LOWER CASE. SUCKS WHEN I TRIED TO YELL AT SOMEONE BUT TEXTING ALL PROPER.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP - Palm should give us the option to enable/disable auto-correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    you can sbrlmcae the lterets of erevy wrod and polepe can siltl raed it so waht deos it mtaetr if i cut a few out?
    sbrlmcae??

I have a friend who types emails with abbreviations, and often there's one word in a message I can't figure out...
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    wait wait, no actually it screws up my messages & makes them less readable. so i have to fix the auto-correction. did Palm really think people mispell "THE"??? why does the Pre think "ther" should be "the" and not "there"??? i jus wanna *oops* i mean, i just want to disable that option. sorry to upset the Fanboys here

You're right on in this thread. Some people just don't get it.
    Is it really that hard to pre the letter E? Its right next to the R . If the pre didn't have this feature your post would read ' Why doesn't the pre have auto-correction?????'
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    you cant make everyone happy. Just type the E or hit backspace. Let PALM work on more important fixes. While abbreviating might make it easier for you to type, it certainly doesn't make it easier to read. (what the f is sbrlmcae?)
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    sbrlmcae??

I have a friend who types emails with abbreviations, and often there's one word in a message I can't figure out...
    I think that's supposed to be "scramble". (not because I could really read the word, but because the other words were scrambled and I made a logical leap of faith that that's what he meant). ;-)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast