Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm curious on how you guys are using it and how you benefit from it. I mean what is the point of it if you already have a phone service from Sprint? I hope I'm not the only one who is trying to figure out why...
    The only way I would use it would be to screen calls. Just until one of these smart developers comes up with an app to take care of that for me. I really miss Callfilter on my Treo...
    I'm using it to have free incoming/outgoing calls using my google voice number and Pick 3/5. Can't get any better than this using the homebrew google voice app as well. ;-)
    Sanyo Katana***Blackberry Curve 8330***HTC Touch Diamond***Palm Pre!
    Evo 4G

"In order to change, you have to go through some changes."
    My use is to give it out as a number to people I'm not sure that I want having my cell phone number. This way I can always set them at any time to go straight to voicemail or think my phone has been disconnected. I.E. car price quotes, that girl you meet at the bar, etc...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I know understand and love how google voice works! Any ideas how to listen to your google voicemails from your pre? I thought you could click on play voicemail and it would work, but the one I got on my email didn't work.
    I made a special vm greeting for when my wife calls.

"Owwwwwwwwwww, that's cute" - says my sister.

"You're a moron" - says my friend.
    special greetings for people oh boy that could be fun, thinking i want to try this out
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    I use it for some what of a second line for professional people.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have GV ring a home phone (VOIP) in addition to my cell. I don't carry my Pre with me from room to room.

Also, I prefer the GV voicemail. The transcription is handy.

I can block callers and only let people I want to talk to ring me.

I can set ring schedules per phone.

And... since I'm a new Sprint customer with a new cell number (my at&t number still active in contract) I didn't need to annoy anybody with a "I changed my number" email. I've had my GV number for years since GrandCentral days.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    i like it for incoming calls only. its a pain to use for outgoing calls. However, if you are tight on minutes and have the "favs" plan, it could save you minutes. (i have way too many extra minutes a month anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by thechosenfew88 View Post
    I'm using it to have free incoming/outgoing calls using my google voice number and Pick 3/5. Can't get any better than this using the homebrew google voice app as well. ;-)
    I have GV but I want to know how is it that these calls are free? We are still using our regular Sprint minutes if we're talking on the Pre.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I have GV but I want to know how is it that these calls are free? We are still using our regular Sprint minutes if we're talking on the Pre.
    Pick 3 gives you unlimited minutes to any 3 numbers. If one of those numbers is your GV line, supposedly then any call to or from that number is free. I say supposedly only because I haven't tried it myself.
    By setting your GV number as one of your pick 3/5 you will not get charge when you set all numbers to come in as your GV number.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Pick 3 gives you unlimited minutes to any 3 numbers. If one of those numbers is your GV line, supposedly then any call to or from that number is free. I say supposedly only because I haven't tried it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    By setting your GV number as one of your pick 3/5 you will not get charge when you set all numbers to come in as your GV number.
    Ah, ok. That makes sense now. I didn't know about this "Pick 3/5" thing. Is this an extra service by Sprint that I have to pay for? I will guess that I will have to pay.
    Follow Me On

Not sure, i have read that some people get it though retentions. I only use 400 min out of my 1500 so i have no need for anything like that yet. Plus i have sprint to sprint free, so that saves around 800 min between my wife and I.
    > Why would I need google voice on my Palm Pre?

I think the bigger question may be "Why would I need google voice in my life?"...since its impact is far broader than one phone that you may carry.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I just started using it this week...but perhaps I can lend limited insight. Toward that end, envision my scenario. I want people with whom I work to call one number...regardless of whether I am at home or at work. Use a cell/mobile number right? Well, that works, but suffers from the following:
    • When I am at home, I would much rather have the call come in on my landline...since I have six landline-based phones around my house...and would rather not have to carry my cell phone everywhere in my 3 story house.
    • At times, I misplace my cellphone, or its battery is dead, or I forget to bring it somewhere. In those cases, I'd rather have the calls come to me on an alternate line...perhaps my office number...or perhaps my wife's Pre.

With Google voice, I can configure the system to route my calls as I choose at any time...just by hitting the web site and making a simple change. Furthermore, voice mail messages are online, transcribed, can be viewed (or listened to) in any order, and can be automatically forwarded as text in an email (or via SMS)...and I am just scratching the surface. I haven't even discussed call filtering, custom messages for different callers, etc...and it is in beta...so it is only going to get better.

Also forget needing to port your number when you switch carriers. Take whatever number they give you...since you give out your Google voice number instead.

Another cool point - you can get a Google voice telephone number in just about any area code that you choose.

..and yes, this concept scares the heck out of AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc. Of course, it may also scare the heck out of privacy advocates...since the privacy of telephone-based conversations is regulated fairly precisely, but the privacy of "your" data hosted on some vendor's server is fairly wide open...at least to that vendor. I imagine that Google will eventually present advertisements to you based on the content of your voice mail messages...but I am just guessing.

Does that help?

cheers,
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    Not sure, i have read that some people get it though retentions. I only use 400 min out of my 1500 so i have no need for anything like that yet. Plus i have sprint to sprint free, so that saves around 800 min between my wife and I.
    Wouldn't it technically not be Sprint-to-Sprint if you make an outgoing call to your GV line? It looks like it would be Sprint-to-Google ->forwarded-> Sprint line, the minutes aren't being used as a free Sprint-to-Sprint connection.

Might also apply to incoming calls to the GV line.
    Follow Me On

Wouldn't it technically not be Sprint-to-Sprint if you make an outgoing call to your GV line? It looks like it would be Sprint-to-Google ->forwarded-> Sprint line, the minutes aren't being used as a free Sprint-to-Sprint connection.

Might also apply to incoming calls to the GV line.
    Si, but we still call each others cell numbers and bypass google voice. Once cool thing though is sms through GV are saved on the web app as well...for the just in case.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I'm playing around with it now. Is it possible to set a time when GV goes directly to VM? And if I want a certain contact to be able to get through during that time how do you do that?
    I'm using it for business. I can use that number as my contact for potential clients. I can easily screen those calls and can have written records of voicemails and such. I have the convenience of answering my calls on my cell when I want without giving out my personal cell number to people that I wouldn't necessarily want to have it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast