Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm not really auditioning right now but for actors in Souther California that *dont* have an LA number this is really useful. A lot of times for smaller projects with little or no budget the casting director wont even consider you if your number suggests you live outside the city (ie San Diego). I grabbed an LA number to be used on resumes.
    I just signed up with google voice yesterday. I love all the features for incoming calls, but making calls is frustrating. If I tell all my friends and family to change my number to Google Voice, then I would have to go through Google Voice for them to see my name on their caller ID. I tried the homebrew Gdial Pro, but it takes way to much time and effort to place a call.
    Because Google Voice is like Visual Voicemail, if Visual Voicemail also transcribed your messages.

Because I can get a cool number like: 4-corny-1.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I'm using it for business. I can use that number as my contact for potential clients. I can easily screen those calls and can have written records of voicemails and such. I have the convenience of answering my calls on my cell when I want without giving out my personal cell number to people that I wouldn't necessarily want to have it.
    This is exactly what I'm using it for. Additionally, I had Sprint set up call forward busy and call forward no answer so that unanswered calls to my cell number are sent to my GV voicemail, thus triggering an email transcription sent to my IMAP email account, which I receive instantly on my Pre. Perfect for when I'm in meetings or otherwise can't call in to receive my voicemail. (Unfortunately Sprint charges 20 cents a minute for this forwarding service, while other carriers just take it out of your included cell minutes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I'm playing around with it now. Is it possible to set a time when GV goes directly to VM? And if I want a certain contact to be able to get through during that time how do you do that?
    "GV goes directly to VM" - Yes...see "Ring Schedule"

"And if I want a certain contact to be able to get through during that time how do you do that?" ... I don't think you can do this yet using GV. I am hoping they will add "Ring Schedules" to both groups and individuals.

F
    There are two Google Voice Apps available....cant decide which one I like better

SO....

GDail Pro or dkGoogleVoice ????

Any opinions for one against the other???
    I've got Google Voice, and it's got some awesome features but I never use it.

Few reasons why:

Dialing out or SMSing out is a huge hassle... the dialers help, but I don't know how they work for SMSing contacts who are already in your address book. I know there's a special number you can use to text via Google Voice, but that defeats the purpose of Synergy.

Nobody has my Google Voice number.

I've only got one phone anyway.

Busy/ no answer conditional call forwarding costs money on Sprint. If I switched to GV fulltime, there's still a few calls that would go through to my Sprint number just from people who hadn't gotten the new number yet. Unless I set up busy / no answer call forwarding, then those calls would go to the Sprint voicemail, which would give me two different sets of voicemail to check, but I refuse to pay Sprint for the forwarding just on principle.

The transcribed voicemail is awesome, but with only one phone, that's not a compelling enough reason to use GV, for me. I'm sure it's a better fit for others though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    There are two Google Voice Apps available....cant decide which one I like better

SO....

GDail Pro or dkGoogleVoice ????

Any opinions for one against the other???
    The new Gdial Pro that was just released today. Before then I would have taken dkGoogleVoice. GdialPro just runs alot faster.
    uhmm could be a killer app for the pre. I haven't studied yet the synergy api (if any) to implement this feature but I guess it is possible. Anyone?
    Prank SMS...
    My wife and I only have cell phones now. So I instruct friends and family to get ahold of either of use, call the GV number. Also, we live in a gated community, if I was working and have the gate tied to my cell I would miss calls because I was working. In this case the gate calls GV and either of us can get it. Last, intl calls. We have family overseas and I can dail into GV and then call intl numbers for small fraction. I could use a calling card, but I consider them annoying. Also, the GV number has everything to do with privacy so that I can take calls from people I like and avoid the telesales and charity calls. I get hit up by every charity under the sun. You give to one and they all come knocking on the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I'm curious on how you guys are using it and how you benefit from it. I mean what is the point of it if you already have a phone service from Sprint? I hope I'm not the only one who is trying to figure out why...
    Im young and single so I give my google voice number in bars/dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I've got Google Voice, and it's got some awesome features but I never use it.

Few reasons why:

Dialing out or SMSing out is a huge hassle... the dialers help, but I don't know how they work for SMSing contacts who are already in your address book. I know there's a special number you can use to text via Google Voice, but that defeats the purpose of Synergy.

Nobody has my Google Voice number.

I've only got one phone anyway.

Busy/ no answer conditional call forwarding costs money on Sprint. If I switched to GV fulltime, there's still a few calls that would go through to my Sprint number just from people who hadn't gotten the new number yet. Unless I set up busy / no answer call forwarding, then those calls would go to the Sprint voicemail, which would give me two different sets of voicemail to check, but I refuse to pay Sprint for the forwarding just on principle.

The transcribed voicemail is awesome, but with only one phone, that's not a compelling enough reason to use GV, for me. I'm sure it's a better fit for others though.
    Once you have them in your google contacts, thier names will appear before the message. and since the pre displays the first line in your notifications and your messages, you wont even need to open it to see who it is

To reply, just click reply on the Pre, or just have a bookmark of google voice in your launcher.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12