Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    3 posts similar to this. Please merge.
    Like everyone else, I just got this email and thought it meant they finally added some new apps...only to find out they added absolutely nothing.

Very annoying considering most people who own a Pre at this point are pretty hardcore users and not casual buyers who need to be hand held through the process.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    and you know this from what research?
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    3 posts similar to this. Please merge.
    Merge and delete.

I agree with the email - there are some nice applications in the app store right now (Pandora, AP mobile, etc).

The applications will come, folks. Relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Stop for a moment and consider the "crazy" possibility that even non-Pre owners got this email.

Either way, don't expect many apps until the App store is out of beta.
    Beta means jack. Gmail came out of beta after years.
    Either way, don't expect many apps until the App store is out of beta.
    I expected the App Catalog to be out of beta when the Pre launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I expected the App Catalog to be out of beta when the Pre launched.
    Yay! I was hoping you'd show up!

I don't want to ignite a flame war, so please take this the right way. It's quite normal to wait on a feature until it's ready. I suspect, though, even if the App catalog only has 32 apps in December we will have hundreds of Homebrew apps to keep us busy.

Either way, if you are looking for something wrong all the time, you miss a lot that is good. Realisticly, the Pre has been out for 60 days and:

*Palm has given the SDK to everyone without charging them an insane 99$ fee for the bare bones basic SDK.

*My phone still works despite all the "numerous" reported problems.

*Most importantly, my happiness is not dictated by my phone.
    Yay! I was hoping you'd show up!

I don't want to ignite a flame war, so please take this the right way. It's quite normal to wait on a feature until it's ready. I suspect, though, even if the App catalog only has 32 apps in December we will have hundreds of Homebrew apps to keep us busy.

Either way, if you are looking for something wrong all the time, you miss a lot that is good. Realisticly, the Pre has been out for 60 days and:

*Palm has given the SDK to everyone without charging them an insane 99$ fee for the bare bones basic SDK.

*My phone still works despite all the "numerous" reported problems.

*Most importantly, my happiness is not dictated by my phone.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    Like everyone else, I just got this email and thought it meant they finally added some new apps...only to find out they added absolutely nothing.

Very annoying considering most people who own a Pre at this point are pretty hardcore users and not casual buyers who need to be hand held through the process.
    I would guess that the opposite of this is the truth. How many "hardcore" users do you think there really are? Most of the 300k+ owners of the Pre probably would not classify as hardcore users. Most of the users of this site are probably not much like the average pre owner.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MOE-GUNZ View Post
    +1
    +2
    Actually, thinking about the apps situation. The majority of people who are using this phone are not reading this forum. However, when they bought the phone in June, they saw 30 apps. Now, in August, they see.... 32. What are the chances that they know more apps are coming even at all? If I wasn't a techy, I would just ignore the App Catalog since I figure there hasn't been anything new for a month, why would more things appear now?

The point is that Palm is making a horrible decision. Steady additions are >>>>>>>>>>>>> than a deluge.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Cabbages are falling from the sky.

Some threads just need to self destruct.
    I got the email expecting to see new apps when I opened it. Same old crap. I went up stairs and played my violin
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I would guess that the opposite of this is the truth. How many "hardcore" users do you think there really are? Most of the 300k+ owners of the Pre probably would not classify as hardcore users. Most of the users of this site are probably not much like the average pre owner.
    We're two months into the Pre's lifespan. Early adopters of any device or technology are, by definition, a more hardcore user group than the population at large. I'm not saying all Pre users are gadget geeks, but there are definitely more of us right now than there are people who just casually walked into a store and bought one because they saw an ad for it, especially considering the Pre's launch shortages. That will obviously change over time though.
    Seriously I would rather be on a deserted island with 4 gorgeous blonde swiss models....than have to wait any longer for the new app catalog....
    Quote Originally Posted by iranmani113 View Post
    Seriously I would rather be on a deserted island with 4 gorgeous blonde swiss models....than have to wait any longer for the new app catalog....
    Well.......DUH!
    Quote Originally Posted by zachz View Post
    hmmm, hopefully my facebook app is in there
    Off Topic! Your avatar
    I am a CU Alum. When the Buffs actually had a competitive NCAA team.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Palm does some dumb things with marketing (like the creepy girl ads) but I simply don't believe that they would bother putting together an email campaign to highlight the app store/catalog that's been sitting there, relatively unchanged for 2 months, unless something was going to change there soon. Look at all the grief people give them in forums for the month plus of 30 apps. With more than a million downloads in the first week of release, I doubt that Palm thinks people don't know about after-market apps.

They have to be up to something and I choose to look at this as a hint that the app store is slated to have more apps added soon.

(Then again, I'm an optimist)
    Perhaps there have been many new Pre owners who haven't hit the AppCatalog. Most smartphone users don't even know how to use their phones.
    Am I the only one that doesn't know how this e-mail is being received? I feel confused.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast