1.    #1  
    I was thinking the other day about what features should be in future iterations of the Pre or iPhone or any other phone that wants to move to the next level. One of several features that I am hoping to see in the near future is video projection. Not just video out (which I would also like to see in the next year), but video projection. Video projection completes the transformation from a phone with computing/pda capabilities to an actual handheld computer.

Imagine if you do all the things you currently do with your Pre, but in addition, when you are at a desk or anywhere that there is a flat surface to project to, you project the image on your phone to the size of 15 or 20 inches. Now, you read your web page without having to resize the screen, you carry your movies with you (downloaded on your Fiber Optic internet connection), watch them on a surface the size of a normal TV, have your photos doing a slide show on the wall while you wait for calls, and so on.

You would still have to use the phone to browse and type and things like that, but I can imagine a similar application that connects to screens and keyboards through wifi or bluetooth. Then, you get rid of your desktop, and keep a screen and keyboard on your desk. Instead of taking your laptop home in a carrying case to work at home, you unplug your phone and stick it in your pocket. However, with video out, you still need hardware to view the screen. With video projection, any spare wall will do the trick.

Or, imagine when Pre finally gets better voice control. Right now, with an Instinct, and the iPhone, you can do a lot of things with your voice. If it gets to the point where you can do speech to text with your phone, you won't need a keyboard to control what is shown on the screen, to move between menus or type an email.

I can dream, can't I? Well, the first baby steps are being taken. Today, I saw an article about a digital camera that is the first in the world to include a built in projector. Here's the link: Welcome to TechNewsWorld.

If they can put one on a camera, it is only a matter of time before they can put one on a phone. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.
    I hope you have a steady hand. ;-)
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I work for a company that is designing a potential cell phone projector. Keep an eye on CES 2010; should be some good stuff in projector technology next year...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post

Or, imagine when Pre finally gets better voice control. Right now, with an Instinct, and the iPhone, you can do a lot of things with your voice. If it gets to the point where you can do speech to text with your phone, you won't need a keyboard to control what is shown on the screen, to move between menus or type an email.

Yeah, but how would I Gchat and check ESPN.com during a meeting?
    Optoma Pico Pocket Projector:

This is what technology im getting into already!

go check it out!
    There is another thread same thought. Posted same time called "OMG! Now i'm getting excited. Projector?"
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57 View Post
    I work for a company that is designing a potential cell phone projector. Keep an eye on CES 2010; should be some good stuff in projector technology next year...
    Looking forward to it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    There is another thread same thought. Posted same time called "OMG! Now i'm getting excited. Projector?"
    I searched and can't find that thread. Is it on this forum?
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    As a small add-on the idea is terrific. I'm not a Japanese consumer though, so I can live without projectors/Swiss army knives/tasers/grappling hooks built into my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I can dream, can't I? Well, the first baby steps are being taken. Today, I saw an article about a digital camera that is the first in the world to include a built in projector. Here's the link: Welcome to TechNewsWorld.

If they can put one on a camera, it is only a matter of time before they can put one on a phone. Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.
    I have good news for you. You're not alone in your thinking, and the idea is coming into reality a lot sooner than you probably thought, possibly as early as next year. Last month, Cnet ran an article about both external and internal projectors for smartphones, currently under development by Displaytech, a division of Micron. Check it out.

"Known as FLCOS, or fast liquid crystal on silicon, the technology is designed to make it possible to project from a relatively small form factor device, and with high image quality and vibrant colors, just about anything you'd want, be it a Disney flick or a complex PowerPoint presentation. ...The most exciting thing to me about the technology is the promise that by late 2010 or early 2011, there's a good chance that the thumbnail-size chip behind the microdisplay could begin to be embedded in commercially available smartphones..."