Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Clearwire lighting up ten more markets with WiMAX on September 1st

In the above article it says its coming soon.

Is the Pre able to handle 4G (it showed 4G in the Pre commercials) or will we be required to get new hardware?
    Thats a excellent question, some say you will need WiMax chip and others say it is. I spoke to Sprint rep and one said no and another said it is.
    I think it's most reasonable to go by the presumption that it will not work unless otherwise proven.
    The pre cannot use 4g
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just want 3G. I live in a town of about 100,000 people and Sprint still doesn't have 3G here. I have never seen the letters EV on my phone
    Come to think of it. Sprint has 4G already deployed in several markets and nobody's Pre is using the 4G network there. That pretty much proves that the Pre (as it stands now) will not do 4G. I still very much doubt that it can be made to do so with a software upgrade. 4G uses different radio frequencies than any of the radios in the Pre are able to transmit. So I agree with Warblad13 that this version of the Pre will never be capable of 4G.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Spoke with a sprint rep this weekend and was told the entire speint network will be4g and the Pre is definitely 4g capable with an update. ndoesnt mean he had any idea what he was talkin about so take it with a grain of salt.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    So, Sprint is using WiMax for their 4G network, and Verizon is using LTE. Crap...yet another format war.

I know the carriers don't care, but if they could all get together and pick ONE technology, then ALL customers could roam on EVERY carrier's network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    The pre cannot use 4g
    This.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDoG76 View Post
    Spoke with a sprint rep this weekend and was told the entire speint network will be4g and the Pre is definitely 4g capable with an update. ndoesnt mean he had any idea what he was talkin about so take it with a grain of salt.
    This rep is clearly an *****. Sprint's 4G network is based on WiMax. WiMax does not borrow any technology from the existing CDMA network. This means that in order for the pre to use 4G, it would have to have a dedicated WiMax chip installed.

This is why you never listen to any random rep without fact checking.
    My Pre can get G4.... not really worth viewing though. Poor website.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Since it looks like this is pretty well answered and I don't want to start a thread just to get my next question answered, I figure I'll just hijack my own thread.

I saw someones avatar showing their Pre with like 8 apps on the launcher bar and all kinds of useful info (weather, etc..) as wallpaper. How do I do this?
    homebrew app

its called myhomescreen or something
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    homebrew app

its called myhomescreen or something
    Really? I just dug through all those last night and didn't see anything like that. I also just looked at the list of homebrew apps and didn't see anything by that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    Really? I just dug through all those last night and didn't see anything like that. I also just looked at the list of homebrew apps and didn't see anything by that name.
    It is not part of the Hombrew App thread because it is still in development. It is in the webOS development thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html
    its is webos dev section ... myhomescreen sorry cant post link .. do not have 10 posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    It is not part of the Hombrew App thread because it is still in development. It is in the webOS development thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-progress.html
    ty
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    By the time 4G is live there will be I bet the next gen WebOS phone will be out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    The pre cannot use 4g
    The Pre can function on a 4g network, but at 3g speeds. The same way a Treo 650 can function on a 3g network at 1x speed. Big difference between being capable and compatible.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    The Pre can function on a 4g network, but at 3g speeds. The same way a Treo 650 can function on a 3g network at 1x speed. Big difference between being capable and compatible.

exactly
    you should keep count on how many times you have post this
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast