Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I went to BB and they put the IS on for me for free.

I purchased the thing and took it home. The very next day I went back and asked them to do it since I had seen an example they had done already and they did a primo job. I just knew that I would screw it up.

I sat and watched him apply the shield and his boss watched and asked questions while we all talked about the Pre (they both have them as their private phones) and had a great time. It took about 20 minutes and since the boss was learning from the department head, they didn't charge me. I always go to the same BB for all my cell needs and frankly most of my tech needs.

I don't think that BB is your problem. I think that one guy was your problem and at least they honored their guarantee and gave you a new phone. The Sprint store probably would not have. They are the people I have trouble with which, as stated above, is why I go to Best Buy.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    You should of done it your self.. its not hard at all just take your time on it..
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    lol all this drama over a screen protector. It sounds like the dude screwed it up but major bonus point to best buy for quikcly admitting their mistake and making you whole. I put a bestskinsever on my pre and my wifes- similar to the invisible shield- not a real fun experience...but turned out great
    This would be the root of your problems!

Quote Originally Posted by kitster View Post
    I want the BB guy to install it
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by looloo2345 View Post
    You should of done it your self.. its not hard at all just take your time on it..
    I see a lot of people say this, but I disagree. It helps to go slowly and take your time, but the more time you take is also more time for something to go wrong... a piece of lint, a speck of dust, etc. That has been my experience, but then again maybe I just have a dirty house.
    ur not supposed to spray ur pre when doing that...its only the film
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Yea I had mine done at BB as well hot girl put mine on very very well. one bubble on the upper left of the phone where there's a curve but I rarely notice it. I personally like the IS on the pre. That combined with the Touchstone backing makes it so there's hardly ever a fingerprint on my pre and that's awesome for my OCD.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Yeah, I just think it was an issue with the guy that put it on. I can see spraying an iphone - since there isn't any holes on the screen - but there are three openings on the face of the pre (button, mic and ear). So when he squeegied all the water/bubbles - where did some of the water go? Right in the holes. I bet if I asked 10 BB Mobile employees to do it - 7 out of 10 would have done a fine job.

Having said that, I found myself at the one mall with a IS kiosk location yesterday. Paid 20 bucks (less that BB's price just for the IS) and it was installed perfectly in 15 minutes. Also got a nice pouch to carry the phone in for the first 48-72 hours and a 5 dollar gift card (for online purchases). It looks amazing. Couldn't be happier.

So, story closed I guess!
    One thing I noticed that noone pointed out. If anyone has these issues and the phone ends up working fine after they better get a replacement anyway, because down the line if you have any issues with the phone the part that shows water damage will be set off and you will have no warranty on the phone.
    I agree that these are not easy to place on the phone, it is easy to stretch the cover and warp it. I actually messed mine up bad the first time and had to try again. The first time it had a ton of bubbles and did not go on straight. also had a lint problem with too many under the screen when it was added on.

I decided to bite the bullet and do it again. I figured it was worth the protection to get it right.

#1 - I did not use the provided spray and squegee the 2nd time. I used a pair of nitrile gloves and some warm water with a touch of dishsoap. (this is what they do with many window tints.

#2 - I made sure to clean my phone with a good screen cleaner before the install.

#3 - I place a very small amount of soap on the gloves once i had them on and made sure that I had enough to cover all surfaces of the glove. (just like washing your hands).

#4 - I rubbed the soapy residue on the back cover (off of the phone) first to get it dialed in. (no pun intended). I then peeled the cover and placed it on the backing after rubbing soap/water on the backside.

#5 - slide the cover into place. If it does not go on correctly, remove, and rewet with soap/water.

#6 - once in place properly, use thumb, not card/squegee. this allows firm pressure without damaging the cover.

#7 - put very small amount of dishsoap on thumb and rub bubbles out from middle to side. take your time, no points for fastest time.

#8 - do not worry about small bubbles. they will go away in a few days.

#9 - on the corners, if they do not stay down, let them sit for a few minutes to dry out and then use your palm (not the phone, the one on your hand) to press the edges down. If you mess up, peel up and rewet with soap/water, let dry (tack up) a few minutes and try again. (repeat until you have a clean application)

#10 - do the same on the front with battery out. the soap/water combination does not need to soak the phone, just a thin layer, the soap helps the water adhere to the phone, rather than just pool up.

#11 - wait about 5 minures and take plastic wrap (for food) and wrap phone up for around 5-10 minutes. Unwrap carefully. This will keep edges down on phone and will make sure there is enough pressure to keep bubbles from reforming under the cover. (I placed mine in the sun to help dry it out)

#12 - enjoy a perfect wrap on your phone.

I hope this help someone out there from going through two covers like I did before getting it right.

If someone else has a better method, please share.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsWin View Post
    I see a lot of people say this, but I disagree. It helps to go slowly and take your time, but the more time you take is also more time for something to go wrong... a piece of lint, a speck of dust, etc. That has been my experience, but then again maybe I just have a dirty house.
    I agree with you, its not that easy. I had BB install the full coverage on the front (touchstone back) and they did a good job from what I can tell. I thought I'd try to do it myself on my original back just to see if the money spent was worth it. And it was. I got lint, and then some bubbles and I'm a pretty mechanically capable person.

One thing though since the screen was put on: the phone doesn't seem to want to revert back to the "standby" screen (digital clock) while on the touchstone it just stays on the home screen or whatever program was up.
    I had IS done at BB. Nice guys but it took 2 tries. Why in God's name would you want IS on the back cover? Second a basic stickum throw away after several months would be my choice next time. Why go through all the trouble and expense for IS? I would not do it again.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    BB installed mine and CHARGED. IT IS A SERVICE THEY PROVIDE IN MY AREA, AT ALL BEST BUYS. Must not be a service that they provide in all areas. They claim that they are trained by Zagg. They need more training!!
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    One thing I noticed that noone pointed out. If anyone has these issues and the phone ends up working fine after they better get a replacement anyway, because down the line if you have any issues with the phone the part that shows water damage will be set off and you will have no warranty on the phone.
    Any idea if there is a way to tell if there is water dmg? Ik Sprint can tell from some color change thingy but can I look and find that out to be sure?

After my install last night the volume kept goin up and down and power button did not work. Its workin fine now but if I am paying $7 a month for insurance I would like to be sure its gonna get replaced if I have problems.
    Installing screen protectors at a local retailer or mall kiosk is a bad idea. Why? Because you are exposed to dust and dirt. The best way to install it is by doing it yourself in your bathroom with hot water running to minimize the dust. Then, buy two protectors in case you mess up with the first one. The second one will always look better. Last, don't buy Invisible shield for your Pre. They are the worst thing you could do to your Pre! My personal favorites are the PhantomSkin!
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I had Best Buy install the Zagg invisibleSHIELD, after completely screwing it up myself, and they did a good job.

BUT, the installation completely depends on who is doing it. If you are at a bigger store, ask for the guy/gal who does the most IS installations. If you get an "anybody can do it" response, tell them that you're a pain in the **** customer and everyone's life will be easier if you can deal with the best person.

The IS for the Pre has flaps for the side and those make installation very tricky. So, you want someone who is good and patient. You'll also help your cause by getting to the store well before closing and during a time when it's not crowded.

BTW, if BB does screw up the install, they'll get you another IS for free. So, in my mind, it's worth the extra cost to have them do the install.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12