1.    #1  
    I bought a touchstone, and love the little guy. Now I'd like to discuss some ways to make it better. Maybe no the stone itself, but the experience.

I want to get a project going, a touchstone project, that's ultimate goal is office euphoria. The touchstone project: "Just set it down, and get to work."

Premise: The touchstone base is by a personal computer, be it at work or home and the user hates plugging in USB through little USB door.

A. How do we get connectivity with the Palm Pre from the nearest computer?
    B. What can we do with that connectivity

A1. BlueTooth - What is the deal with this connection. Is 1.1 only compatible with audio devices, is there a patch, or a hint of future data sharing using bluetooth?
    A2. Network WIFI/EVDO connection - Why use bluetooth when we could potentially have great connectivity over wifi, VNC, SSh FTP, perhaps just a handy GUI application residing on the desktop or in OS networking

Things to do with connectivity

B1. It would be great to have my palm on the stone, and be able to send it an mp3, or a mv4 that I have on my desktop without having to unplug the usb from the wall, and form the stone, or have another microUSB cable laying around.

B2. SSh, rooting, installing applications

B3. Having a VNC. Oh man! This would be my joy, because I can have my phone on the touchstone, on speaker, and be able to make calls without leaving the PC. Sure it isn't to much trouble to dial in things on the phone, but it would be so nice (from a sales and administration POV) to have apps that interact with the phone over WIFI / Blue tooth to choose contacts, dial them, send text messages with the computers real QWERTY.
    the touchstone technology is strictly for charging the battery. What you're looking for would be best achieved with bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    the touchstone technology is strictly for charging the battery. What you're looking for would be best achieved with bluetooth.
    +1
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    The touchstone is NOT just to charge the battery. The phone recognizes when it is on the touchstone and handles calls differently.

If the phone knows when it is on the touchstone, I'm sure there's a way to write a program that will open the phone up to SSH and will allow connecting to it via bluetooth/wifi, ONLY when it is on touchstone.

Would be interesting to see how developers will use the touchstone in future software releases
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    The touchstone is NOT just to charge the battery. The phone recognizes when it is on the touchstone and handles calls differently.

If the phone knows when it is on the touchstone, I'm sure there's a way to write a program that will open the phone up to SSH and will allow connecting to it via bluetooth/wifi, ONLY when it is on touchstone.

Would be interesting to see how developers will use the touchstone in future software releases
    The Pre can recognize when it's on the touchstone, but there is no way to transfer data via touchstone.
    The only reason the Pre recognizes the Touchstone is because the electrical charge is coming through the two little pins the Touchstone's back connects to, not the microUSB port.

That said the thread does not state to run data through the Touchstone, merely create a secured bluetooth link using the Touchstone as the "key".

Seems like an easy enough project.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post
    The only reason the Pre recognizes the Touchstone is because the electrical charge is coming through the two little pins the Touchstone's back connects to, not the microUSB port.

That said the thread does not state to run data through the Touchstone, merely create a secured bluetooth link using the Touchstone as the "key".

Seems like an easy enough project.
    If that's the case, I agree. Seems like a very easy project.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, Is there anyone that can help me start a project that would effectively create a virtual phone remote which would run on the computer, and allow you to initiate calls and txt messages on the device. Based on your information, I change my stance, this doesn't have to be a touchstone project, but a WIFI or Bluetooth project. Imagine even just VNC to the phone should be easy enough given that it's a linux distro. I've seen videos of the palm using VNC to control a desltop, can we simply reverse that? To allow us to use the keypad to dial, and the keyboard to txt?
    Quote Originally Posted by irishjays View Post
    B1. It would be great to have my palm on the stone, and be able to send it an mp3, or a mv4 that I have on my desktop without having to unplug the usb from the wall, and form the stone, or have another microUSB cable laying around.
    Granted an app would be nice, but can't you do this using WinSCP?
  10.    #10  
    Is there a forum post showing how to use fileshare with ssh over linux
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post

My blackberry already does this. I can set it to auto connect/sync with my Mac over BT every time they come into BT radio range of each other. My XV-6600 used to do this too over wifi - back in 2004. I can't imagine it would be at all difficult to do with the Pre.