Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well done on the Pre purchase.

New Pre owners take note: Don't get the sprint branded car charger they offer at the sprint store. It costs $37 bucks, and doesn't work all the time, mine wouldn't charge after the 1.1 update.

Get the Palm branded "adapter" at Best Buy, the little device comes with a micro USB cable that you can use for data transfer as well. It's much better to keep that in your car, so if you are at work, school friends house, you can load up legal free license music and movies for the ride home. It also has a Treo attachment, so if you have a buddy with a fat treo, you can juice it as well.

If you're buying the palm Pre as a multi-function device, shouldn't your charger have the same philosophy?

---
    James

Favorite Homebrew App "PrePOD!!!"
    seems like mine is working just fine
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    or what i heard is that the sprint charger has to say Palm Pre on it....
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    There are several threads across several forums discussing the Sprint charger (being sold like hotcakes on eBay for cheap) and how it doen't always work, and when it does, it doesn't charge as it should because, it doesn't meet Palms spec's for a charger.

Go figure....
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebo77 View Post
    or what i heard is that the sprint charger has to say Palm Pre on it....
    Then it's not a Sprint branded, higher margin generic mini-USB charger that the sales kids push like crack in an alley and doesn't work like the Palm charger, that meets the specs for the Pre and works right, all the time.
  6.    #6  
    @JKTex

Maybe mine was flawed, but it was the $37 charger, with palm pre, on the package, and it didn't work after I updated to 1.1.

Here's my story:
    I actually had to charge the phone to 30% to get the over the air update, so if went in the car, charged from 20% to 31%, ran the update. I thought well, I'll leave it on the charger so when I wake up it will be nice and full. I woke up and spent work without a phone because the sprint branded charger wasn't doing a dang thing. The Pre's screen showed a little cable being plugged into a question mark. So no, it doesn't work right, all the time.
    irishjays,

What is the number before ma on your charger? The Sprint car charger I have says 850ma while the official Palm Pre charger from Palm is 1 full amp, or 1000 ma.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishjays View Post
    Well done on the Pre purchase.

New Pre owners take note: Don't get the sprint branded car charger they offer at the sprint store. It costs $37 bucks, and doesn't work all the time, mine wouldn't charge after the 1.1 update.

Get the Palm branded "adapter" at Best Buy, the little device comes with a micro USB cable that you can use for data transfer as well. It's much better to keep that in your car, so if you are at work, school friends house, you can load up legal free license music and movies for the ride home. It also has a Treo attachment, so if you have a buddy with a fat treo, you can juice it as well.

If you're buying the palm Pre as a multi-function device, shouldn't your charger have the same philosophy?

---
    James

Favorite Homebrew App "PrePOD!!!"
    thats weird i bought mine launch day and its been working ever since....maybe ur just unlucky?
  9.    #9  
    donatom3,
    It's back at sprint, so I don't know what the ma's are. However, my point is for a few dollars LESS, you get a multi purpose micro USB straight cable and 1000ma, and a treo adapter, (works with touchstone too) with the Palm solution.

It doesn't matter if the sprint charger works without flaw and even smells good, my point is the Palm Charger is a better deal. Sure there will be someone out there who likes having the sprint charger for the opposite reasons I've stated. That person is simply, not cool.

(Maxima, I'm sure I am unlucky, but by being unlucky I think I got a better product, and wanted to tell people who are planning on getting a Pre my opinion. Seems there are a lot of sprint chargers working fine. I did like the yellow branded light on it.)
    Last edited by irishjays; 08/03/2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: @Maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by irishjays View Post
    donatom3,
    It's back at sprint, so I don't know what the ma's are. However, my point is for a few dollars LESS, you get a multi purpose micro USB straight cable and 1000ma, and a treo adapter, (works with touchstone too) with the Palm solution.

It doesn't matter if the sprint charger works without flaw and even smells good, my point is the Palm Charger is a better deal. Sure there will be someone out there who likes having the sprint charger for the opposite reasons I've stated. That person is simply, not cool.
    I completely agree. I bought the Sprint charger and it works half the time for me. I'm definitely going to pickup a palm charger, just haven't gotten to it yet. Figured it was more important to get my touchstone at work and at home setup first.
  11.    #11  
    Work and home touchstone! Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    irishjays,

What is the number before ma on your charger? The Sprint car charger I have says 850ma while the official Palm Pre charger from Palm is 1 full amp, or 1000 ma.

donatom3 Exactly dead on... i have a sprint charger new in box i'm going to return.. good thing i didn't open it. I can see from the outside it's a 850ma... this phone needs a 1000ma(1amp). Or if you go to use gps while streaming pandora... the battery may drain slowly!

I went to best buy and picked up the palm one for $26 didn't feel like waiting a week to get from precentral..
    thats weird bc i got the 850ma...and when i charge my fone in the car it charges very fast
    I have the Sprint charger (Has a micro USB connector, the coiled spiral cable and the Sprint logo on the **** of the charger head with the light-up yellow ring around it.)

I have never even ONCE had a problem with it. It charges just as fast, if not faster than via USB, and it works great. Although it did cost a bit more, at the time I bought it there was no other car charger available for the Pre.

I suspect you have some people with either the wrong charger, or an older charger that won't work with the Pre.

Interestingly, my wife's Sanyo phone also uses a micro USB charger. Her phone can charge off of my Pre wall-barrel+USB setup, but my phone cannot charge on her wall wart charger.
    I had the opposite experience. Bought the Palm one first, damn thing didn't work a damn and was very hard to remove from my car. The Sprint one has been trouble free so far, only issue it has is that the little neon ring that lights up, no longer works...oh well.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I had the opposite experience. Bought the Palm one first, damn thing didn't work a damn and was very hard to remove from my car. The Sprint one has been trouble free so far, only issue it has is that the little neon ring that lights up, no longer works...oh well.
    ^ what he said
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lamboh View Post
    ^ what he said
    what they said, minus my light still works, and i like the sprint charger because the coiled up cord has more extension and feels more"ergonomic" then the straight cord , short, usb palm car charger.

plus the sprint one has a little yellow light thatmatches my,................bic lighter.
    Took my Sprint charger back, replaced it with the Palm charger for one reason: I wanted to be able to use Touchstone in the car. Sprint charger won't cut it, Palm one works every time. The Sprint charger is a generic rebranded charger that seems to work OK if you're just charging the phone, but having the option of using TS in the car, plus having the flexibility of the separate USB cable was what convinced me to change.
    I originally had the Sprint branded one, and it did have some spotty working issues. But my biggest issue was the damn TIGHTLY coiled cord. WHY do they have to coil those things SOO tight!

I returned it, bought the Palm one with the short, but non coiled cable. Switched the short 2.5ft cable on it with the long straight 5ft cable from the wall charger in the Pre Packaging adn now my Pre can stay charging in the car, I can reach it when needed, and I can easily charge or USB drive at home with the shorter cable and the AC plug. Happy Camper!
    I figured a way around all of this, I have a 110 converter in my truck and just plug my wall charger into that. Problem solved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast