1.    #1  
    I really want a new Pre because the build quality on mine is pretty horrible and it got some light scratches when I recently took it with me on vacation. I bought my Pre from a Sprint Store over 30 days ago and I tried calling Sprint to get a new one but I guess they don't send them and I have to go to the store and have the technicians take a look at it. What do you think I should tell them so that I would be guaranteed a new Pre? I have had T-Mobile for the past 9 years so I don't know how Sprint works and how easy it is to get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Aside from scratches, what are the "build quality issues" you are experiencing??

If it's just the scratches, you're out of luck unless you have insurance. Perhaps you should have used a screen protector or case whilst on vacation.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Aside from scratches, what are the "build quality issues" you are experiencing??

If it's just the scratches, you're out of luck unless you have insurance. Perhaps you should have used a screen protector or case whilst on vacation.
    well, the slider gets jammed whenever i slide it up. once i lift it about half a inch, it just gets stuck and i gotta push harder to reveal the keyboard. and theres dead pixels on my screen.
  4.    #4  
    So if I were to just throw a littleeee water into my speaker and it stopped working could I just walk into the store and complain that my speaker isnt working and maybe they'll give me another one?
    Quote Originally Posted by kdabest9 View Post
    So if I were to just throw a littleeee water into my speaker and it stopped working could I just walk into the store and complain that my speaker isnt working and maybe they'll give me another one?
    They might. Depends on the store. If the slider problem is serious, they might give you a replacement (probably a refurb) just for that. If you're outside of 30 days, you might have to pay the deductible if you have insurance.

You're not GUARANTEED a new phone under any circumstances. If you go through Asurion, again if you have insurance, you could at least get a refurb if you're willing to pay the deductible.
    Sometimes screen protectirs will make scratches invisible. They fill in the small gap and remove the air. I would install a bestskinever. I bet the scratch would become harder to see and you can prevent future damage. I would not roll the dice, If it's just the scratches and less of a build quality issue. You might get a pre with more minor problems than your current one. Loose slider or light leaking out of side of screen. I'm on Pre #3. It still has minor problems (stuck pixels and small light leak) I have decided to keep it because they all seem to have bad build quality.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I scratched mine pretty deep while at work the other day. I bought it about a week ago and really want to get clean screen. Not sure if I can exchange it or not. Bought it at best buy. Anyone have a suggestion?
    If your over the 30 days, unfortunately you are out of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
    I scratched mine pretty deep while at work the other day. I bought it about a week ago and really want to get clean screen. Not sure if I can exchange it or not. Bought it at best buy. Anyone have a suggestion?
    They won't take it. It's considered accidental damage. You could always try though but you may have to go through insurance or just live with it.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Wow... a lot of people damage their phone on their own and expect to have Palm foot the bill to replace it?? Unless you have insurance, don't even try.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    @ Santos
    I don't expect Palm/sprint to replace it...but if I can, I'd like to. if Sprint CS is willing to exchange it, I don't see whats wrong with that. I know I made a poor choice in hastily putting my keys in the same pocket as my phone and sat down in my car. I can't change that now. I'm just trying to find a fix.

Now, I have insurance. Assuming Sprint lets me exchange the phone, will I get docked $100 for a refurbished replacement? If I can avoid dealing with the Sprint Store Zombies to get this information, I'd be happy.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
    @ Santos
    Now, I have insurance. Assuming Sprint lets me exchange the phone, will I get docked $100 for a refurbished replacement? If I can avoid dealing with the Sprint Store Zombies to get this information, I'd be happy.
    Yes if there is physical damage to the phone you will be subject to the deductible. New or refurb is the insurance companies discretion.
    Equipment Replacement Program

* Insurance for stolen, lost, or physically damaged devices.
    * Call Asurion Customer Care at 1-800-584-3666.
    * File your replacement request within 60 days of the loss.
    * If your Sprint device is lost or stolen, contact Sprint at 1-888-211-4727 to suspend service. If your Nextel device is lost or stolen, contact Sprint at 1.800.639.6111 to suspend your service.
    * Pay a $50 nonrefundable deductible per approved replacement request.

Just call up Assurion. They do have a website where you can do it online but I forgot the link.
    I just got my replacement Pre from Asurion. They gave me an envelope to send back my old phone. Question: Am I able to keep my original battery or will they charge me if I do not send it back? From all the paperwork they sent me it seems they are only interested in getting the phone back.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdabest9 View Post
    If you were to do that, I hope they deny your request for a replacement.

In the off chance they do replace your phone after you do this, I hope you get a Pre with the worst case of oreo twist, battery problems, and eventually a spider webbed screen. That is, after your one year warranty with palm expires.
    Quote Originally Posted by phidalgo View Post
    If you were to do that, I hope they deny your request for a replacement.

In the off chance they do replace your phone after you do this, I hope you get a Pre with the worst case of oreo twist, battery problems, and eventually a spider webbed screen. That is, after your one year warranty with palm expires.
    agreed. I can't stand the people that screw it up for the rest of us.