Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After struggling with my original Pre's wonky, horribly loose slider for about 28 days... I was able (with the help/advice of other forum members) able to *fix* it by applying gentle pressure to the feet/flanges that run along the slider. There was still a tiny bit of play in the slider but, overall, the fix worked great. In the days before I fixed my slider, I had been dealing with the manager at my local Sprint Corporate store on getting a replacement unit ordered.

He called me today to let me know that the replacement came in and I told him that I thought about it and decided to keep my original unit. And to my SHOCK, he said "Eh, you know... come on in and look at the new one and THEN see if you reallywant to keep your old one." Well, that caught my attention and peaked my curiosity. It made me wonder if he knew something about the newer Pres that I did not. So, I made an appointment to check out the new phone. And OMG -- I cannot even begin to accurately describe the difference in the build quality between my original Pre and this new one.

First: I am from that camp who thought (wrongly) that there could be no such thing as a truly rock solid slider on the Palm Pre. However, I am completely astonished -- ASTONISHED -- by the build quality of this new Pre's slider. There is no side-to-side movement AT ALL. And I mean AT ALL. You would literally have to force it, hard, in order to get this baby to move sideways.

Second: This is such a minor thing, unless you are in the dark, but the backlight on the newer Pre's keyboard is much more defined and brighter.

Third: The battery on the newer Pre has a super snug fit. There is no movement at all.

Fourth: The center "button" has a better fit in it's compartment. This could be clearly seen when the two phones (original and new one) were placed side-by-side at the store. The store Manager even noted that on the newer Pre there was much less light bleed around the button.

Fifth: The newer Pre does not have, what I called the "white" spot at the edge of the display. On my original device, this never bothered me at all. I could only ever notice it in light update app screen or in the dialer screen.

Of course, I took the replacement Pre. The build is just way superior. The store Manager said "Yep. I knew you would want this when you saw the difference." Which I took to mean that hewas well aware of the differences between the earlier builds and the later.

For those of you with ANY kind of side-to-side play in your slider, I am here to tell ya that it is ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL. When the Pre is built right, there simply is NO PLAY AT ALL. NONE, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA.

The build date on this new Pre is 7/17. It is brand new -- the recond/refurb status is "NO." It did not come with 1.1.0 installed.

Okay, I'm off to reinstall my homebrews, dowload some music, reinstate my bookmarks, and mess with Pandora.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    That hurts a little. I'm trying not to notice.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You happen to have the build date?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Nice, the same (almost) exact thing happened to me. I went in 3 days ago, on my 26th day, and replaced my wobbler. It is tight. I wouldn't say NADA movement -- maybe 1/2mm -- but dang near NADA!
    Even better, the battery life on my new one is worlds better than that on my old one!!!
    Nice to hear mine was not an isolated case, and that they're getting better all around.
    -dave
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    The build date on this new Pre is 7/17. It is brand new -- the recond/refurb status is "NO." It did not come with 1.1.0 installed.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    p.s. my build ("warranty") date is 7/10
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Ordered one on Friday. Hope mine is as good.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I got my replacement last week and same thing - MUCH better build than my original Pre!!!
    My 3rd and current Pre has a tiny bit of play in the slider, but it's way better than my 2nd one. The battery life on it was horrible.
    First: I am from that camp who thought (wrongly) that there could be no such thing as a truly rock solid slider on the Palm Pre. However, I am completely astonished -- ASTONISHED -- by the build quality of this new Pre's slider. There is no side-to-side movement AT ALL. And I mean AT ALL. You would literally have to force it, hard, in order to get this baby to move sideways.
    Have you looked inside to see if the design is different?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm very happy with my 7/17 replacement also.
    sounds great
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I am happy to read this post. I abused my phone (got it the day it came out) and the screen is all scratched up. I would just throw it in my pocket and I never put a screen guard on it. I have been waiting for the Sprint store to keep a stock of Pres. I was then going to break my phone and pay a hundred bucks for a new one through insurance. Well yesterday the "volume up" key stopped working or would get stuck on my phone. The Sprint store looked at it and deemed it replaceable. They are shipping me a new one out in a couple of days. Hopefully it wont be a refurb. I will post back to this thread on the condition of my phone and how it works.
    my 7/25 build is GREAT!
    Definitely QA has improved!
    Quote Originally Posted by chafedbm View Post
    I am happy to read this post. I abused my phone (got it the day it came out) and the screen is all scratched up. I would just throw it in my pocket and I never put a screen guard on it. I have been waiting for the Sprint store to keep a stock of Pres. I was then going to break my phone and pay a hundred bucks for a new one through insurance. Well yesterday the "volume up" key stopped working or would get stuck on my phone. The Sprint store looked at it and deemed it replaceable. They are shipping me a new one out in a couple of days. Hopefully it wont be a refurb. I will post back to this thread on the condition of my phone and how it works.
    damn volume button. People like you don't deserve replacements.
    How do you find the build date? I just got mine from Best Buy on Saturday.