Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    I'm debating whether or not to swap out my Pre at Best Buy. Purchased 7/26, build date is 7/08.

It seemed fine at the store, other than the slider mechanism making a strange noise (like a very thin spring being scrunched together, which is probably what's actually happening ) if you slide it by pushing up from the bottom rather than placing your thumb in the middle of the screen and pushing up.

But I wasn't very knowledgeable of the build quality issues at the time of purchase, so I never checked it out thoroughly.

I believe I've been noticing the build quality is deteriorating, albeit slowly. I am noticing now that it will rotate about 1-2mm clockwise, and a tiny amount counter-clockwise.

I don't have any trouble with it moving while using gestures on the touchscreen, but it will rotate with a light click if I touch on the top or sides rather than the surface.

When I'm handling the phone in my hand while the slider is closed, I can feel the two halves shifting around a bit.

Also has one somewhat brighter LED, and about 5 stuck pixels.

Battery life is great though, speed seems fine, signal seems fine.

Now its 8/5, so I still have plenty of time for a swap. Kind of afraid I'll get a worse one though!
    You're within your 30 days. My advice is to return and exchange it if you are not absolutely satisfied with the build. I've been messing with my new Pre now for a few days and there is STILL NO SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT. None. So, again, I would have to assume that this suggests that there shouldn't be and that the build issue has been addressed by Palm. If I had heard a "springy" noise in my slider there would never have been any doubt that the thing needed replacing. That certainly does not sound normal.

Look, if you have to question and second guess that means that you already have doubt about the device you have now. If that is the case, then you are never going to be 100 percent satisfied with it. Go for the return -- I highly doubt that you would get a "worse one." More likely, you will get a perfect one. Keep us posted
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    I posted about the build quality of 2 brand new (7/25 and 7/17) replacement Pres in this post. The short answer is there are still build quality issues that need to be addressed.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I posted about the build quality of 2 brand new (7/25 and 7/17) replacement Pres in this post. The short answer is there are still build quality issues that need to be addressed.
    Read your post. Glad your phone dried out. Sorry you wound up somehow getting two Pres to replace the one that you damaged and that neither of them satisfied you. I (of all people) understand completely about what BAD side-to-side play in the slider can feel like on the Pre. If you found one that had this issue (and clicked too!) I wouldn't recommend you keep that. The other replacement unit you mentioned has "bright stuck pixels." Can't imagine what that looks like since neither of my Pres had such a condition. I have heard of some people running the YouTube fix for that.

Since your original phone is working now, I guess you are faced with which Pre to keep. I don't quite understand your reasoning that you didn't want to "roll the dice" and allow Asurion to send you out that third Pre (as they offered). As far as I'm concerned, there are no "dice." This isn't a gamble -- obviously from most recent reports it is not that difficult to find a perfect Pre now. My new Pre is still rock solid. But, good luck to you.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Any chance you could take pictures or a video showing us. I'm still within my 30 days and on my 2nd phone. Just want to see what a "prefect pre" looks like.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyNYR View Post
    Any chance you could take pictures or a video showing us. I'm still within my 30 days and on my 2nd phone. Just want to see what a "prefect pre" looks like.
    Uhhh, it looks like a Pre. Not sure what you're asking or even why you're asking. Read my OP... and then use your imagination. OR, go to a Sprint store and see one for yourself.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Got mine 2 days ago. No problems. Love it. Got the insurance, juuuuuust in case.
    my built date is 6/7 and its still perfect. No slider issues, no leaking light, no moving battery, no random reboots, Nothing. Ive had it for about 3 weeks now and not 1 single issue.

i hope my luck doesnt run out though! Ill admit i got scared after reading the problems people had over a shirt period of time..but mine seems to hold up. I dont have a case for it, or a different back cover or anything, just a normal Pre. Goodjob Palm on my phone!
    Thats good news especially because i dont have my pre yet and was hoping they could do something to make the build quality better... looks like they did!
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMace23 View Post
    Thats good news especially because i dont have my pre yet and was hoping they could do something to make the build quality better... looks like they did!
    They definitely did. And DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE from certain voices around here that would try to convince you that there *must* be something wrong with all Pres. How juvenile. Let us know when you get your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    They definitely did. And DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE from certain voices around here that would try to convince you that there *must* be something wrong with all Pres. How juvenile. Let us know when you get your Pre
    Yes - the last thing we want around here is a bunch of unsupported (*cough*AMAZING!!!*cough*) hype.

Is it just me or should phones that finally achieve their base design specification just be called "finished" or "delivered." Calling a Pre that meets its specifications several months after its initial release is far from "AMAZING" - unless you think it's AMAZING that it took so long.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yes - the last thing we want around here is a bunch of unsupported (*cough*AMAZING!!!*cough*) hype.

Is it just me or should phones that finally achieve their base design specification just be called "finished" or "delivered." Calling a Pre that meets its specifications several months after its initial release is far from "AMAZING" - unless you think it's AMAZING that it took so long.
    Actually, I meant AMAZING as compared to my original device. And the difference is just that: AMAZING!!!!!

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    so all and all, is it safe to say that sprint will replace my pre for only the slider issue?? I got it 07/31, its build date is 07/20. I'm just not happy having to deal with the side-to-side movement and the noise it makes while holding it to my ear.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by stfd1249 View Post
    so all and all, is it safe to say that sprint will replace my pre for only the slider issue?? I got it 07/31, its build date is 07/20. I'm just not happy having to deal with the side-to-side movement and the noise it makes while holding it to my ear.
    I imagine it depends on your store and your particular issue with the slider, but I didn't have any trouble exchanging mine. Good luck. Let us know how it pans out
    Quote Originally Posted by ira9700 View Post
    got my third a few days ago (build date is 7/01/09 and its like night and day no oreo great radio sig good batt life hats off to radio shack in rocky point ny and its great manager for seeing the problems and 2 pain less exchanges
    i'd be on my 3rd, too, and would love to get mine replaced for this said "AMAZING build". however, i'm a bit more hesitant now as i have an invisible shield on the damn phone already. it's a bit daunting to have to lose that and get another
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    With the experience I just had at me local sprint store, the one where I bought my pre, I suggest if you don't really have to replace your pre, DON'T. That is if it's working well and you have no issues other than the slider. The sales rep. that i had was very rude! She told me that all the pres have the slider issue and then the manager came up to me and said the same thing! I know others hav had better experiences, mine not as good!!! ,I read somewhere on here that you can fix the slider issue your self. I had to trade mine because it developed a crack on the gesture area. I'm in the process of updating my pre now. Its build date is 07/23...Hopefully it will operate as good as my first one!!
    I must of spoke to early in a post on another thread. I just got mine replaced yesterday and I really thought it was flawless. I have been using it for about 7 hours today and I am noticing the screen bleed with a yellow tint to it. I am also getting a weird clicking from the housing on the top where the camera is. When I press on that spot, I hear it. I am only going to replace this one more time and if that is crap too I give up. Build date 7/9/09
    How do you find the build date?
    ##786# on the dialer key pad and scroll down to warranty date code
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 08/08/2009 at 09:40 PM.
    Some people have "perfect" Pres from day 1, and some don't. Some people have "perfect" Pres from the latest shipment, and some don't. The same problems crop up on both shipments, so the logical conclusion is that Palm hasn't really done anything different to the production of the Pre. If you got a good one this time, then you're luckier than you were last time, that's all there is to this idea that Palm revamped their production process.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234