Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    My volume indicator got stuck a week or so ago...maybe it'll happen again so I can get a new one, too...this scratch on my screen is making me insane
    This is exactly what happened to mine. The volume indicator was constantly showing at the bottom of the screen because the "volume up" button was stuck. I would then reboot the Pre and the volume indicator would not be on constantly, but the "volume up" button would not work.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'm skerd.
    All this talk of problems.
    I ordered mine at the Sprint store Friday and called today. They are still out of Pres but said since I did an order and not on a waiting list, it should be in after 3 today, when UPS comes.
    Seems like build reliability very iffy. Even if its fine when I get it, that could change.
    Hope I made the right decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by dm701 View Post
    I'm skerd.
    All this talk of problems.
    I ordered mine at the Sprint store Friday and called today. They are still out of Pres but said since I did an order and not on a waiting list, it should be in after 3 today, when UPS comes.
    Seems like build reliability very iffy. Even if its fine when I get it, that could change.
    Hope I made the right decision.
    My second Pre has excellent build quality. Just check it before you leave the store for dead pixles, the slider and any twist between the two halves.

Enjoy your new phone when it arrives... it's a great device and you won't be able to put it down.
    OP's Pre sounds a lot like my launch day Pre. Perfect in every way. Its nice to hear someone else is happy with their build quality.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    My second Pre has excellent build quality. Just check it before you leave the store for dead pixles, the slider and any twist between the two halves.

Enjoy your new phone when it arrives... it's a great device and you won't be able to put it down.
    Yes, check out your device thoroughly before leaving the store. Adding to the above suggestions, you should also be sure to: play a youtube video to check the sound quality of the speaker, but ALSO plug the headset in and make sure that the sound is coming through clearly with no static. After removing the headsets, continue to play something through the speaker to make sure that your device handles the transition the way it should. Mess with your volume buttons a few times.

Open and close your slider several times to make certain that everything is functioning well and that the pre does not suffer from the slider-shut-down problem (although, that really does seem to be something from the earliest builds that has been corrected).

Open some apps and check for lag, etc.

Really do a good visual check of the device, make sure there is no "gap" in any part of the slider when the phone is closed.

If you're not satisfied with the build of the phone, don't take delivery. Make them pull out another or order one.

Once you get your Pre... you are definitely going to love it! I honestly believe that it is the best device on the market right now. Enjoy!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    geez, i must have a wicked early build. My Warranty Date is 5/26. My slider is solid, no light leaks around the middle button, but I do have some light leak around the screen and the battery reset issue.
    Mine was built 5/30 and I haven't seen or experienced any of the problems everyone else has been complaining about. Go figure. Knock wood.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I got my new Pre today. So far the switch over is a complete disaster. Sprint has no idea what they are doing. The first person I called to activate my phone had to transfer me to another department. After that they finally got my new phone activated. I had backed up my other Pre before I activated my new phone. When I got my new phone activated nothing transferred over at all. I now have to go to the Sprint store with both phones to get my contacts/settings/etc moved to my new phone. Their customer service gets an F and so does the Palm for the not enabling us to Sync locally.
    Quote Originally Posted by chafedbm View Post
    I got my new Pre today. So far the switch over is a complete disaster. Sprint has no idea what they are doing. The first person I called to activate my phone had to transfer me to another department. After that they finally got my new phone activated. I had backed up my other Pre before I activated my new phone. When I got my new phone activated nothing transferred over at all. I now have to go to the Sprint store with both phones to get my contacts/settings/etc moved to my new phone. Their customer service gets an F and so does the Palm for the not enabling us to Sync locally.
    Did you add all of your contact accounts onto your new phone? Exchange, gmail, etc.? I, for example, use Exchange, so all of my contacts, except for 1 or 2, are on my exchange server, not on my palm account.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I did the OTA backup before I pulled the battery on my old phone. When I activated my new phone I couldn't remember my password, but I answered the security question and was able to reset it. After that I set a new password and my new phone rebooted. It was activated but didn't pull over any info IE: contacts, text messages, call logs. Sprint tech support told me to take it into a Sprint store. I got there just before they closed. I told them my situation. They took both my phones and couldn't do anything with them. The guy gave me back both phones and said "Sorry it's just not working." I looked at him like wtf? And he said "sorry it's just not working." He also sat my new phone face down on the counter top before I could put a screen guard on it. I had to ask him to turn it back over and be careful not to scratch the screen. I am now on hold with Sprint tech support again.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by chafedbm View Post
    I did the OTA backup before I pulled the battery on my old phone. When I activated my new phone I couldn't remember my password, but I answered the security question and was able to reset it. After that I set a new password and my new phone rebooted. It was activated but didn't pull over any info IE: contacts, text messages, call logs. Sprint tech support told me to take it into a Sprint store. I got there just before they closed. I told them my situation. They took both my phones and couldn't do anything with them. The guy gave me back both phones and said "Sorry it's just not working." I looked at him like wtf? And he said "sorry it's just not working." He also sat my new phone face down on the counter top before I could put a screen guard on it. I had to ask him to turn it back over and be careful not to scratch the screen. I am now on hold with Sprint tech support again.
    Wow. I am sorry that you are having a rough time. My transfer was seamless -- even my exchange contacts and info transferred flawlessly. Sadly, your troubles seem to have been compounded by a careless Sprint employee. I do hope that you will not judge the entire company by the actions of one individual. In all my years with Sprint, I have only ever had excellent customer care. And, most especially, with regards to this exchange. Best of luck.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I talked to a new customer service rep. After working with her for a bit she had me hard reset the new phone. This time it pulled my OTA backup over. I have been with Sprint for 8 years and this was the worst customer service I ever received. However, there is a gem in all of this.

The reason I was having my phone replaced was because the "volume up" key would get stuck. I could turn the volume down but not up. Well the problem has since "fixed" itself. If I don't return the phone they will charge me $200. The phone works fine and the ESN will not be banned (I verified it with the CS rep). Since I already have TEP on my second line it will apply to my old Pre if I activate it on my second line. So basically, I pay $200 bucks for another Pre on my second line!
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    When I first got my phone 7/4 had to take it home and figure it out for myself how to get my contacts to transfer, etc. The nice folks at the Sprint store just did not know enough about the new webOS. Same with calling in and transferring my # from AT&T to Sprint after I decided I was definitely keeping the phone. Patience pays off because it is an AWESOME phone. I love it. Gave my Centro and Treo 750 to family members that are still on AT&T and made the switch. No hardware problems. Once had to do a reset and call to find out my password etc to retrieve all of my info, and it all is back with no problems. Once you experience using it and its features you know it is a keeper!
    I keep hearing more and more stories about better Pres coming out of late. I'm glad that I decided to wait just a tad bit longer before finally taking the plunge.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I will give a review of my new Pre tomorrow. I have been busy syncing the Centro on my second line and getting it moved over to my old Pre. I am trying to get the MSL to hard reset my old Pre from Sprint right now.
    can you get a replacement if youve had it for more than 30 days, mine has side to side movement
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoods View Post
    can you get a replacement if youve had it for more than 30 days, mine has side to side movement
    That's why I pay for the $7 a month insurance.
    P.S. I'm a novice musician, please check out my work if you get a chance, thanks much.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2ndDayRiffs
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I aligned my numbered comments with that of the op.

1. The slider is much tighter. There is hardly any play in it at all.

2. I do agree with the op. The keyboard back light seemed to have defined lines on my old Pre. The new one is more of a solid light.

3. The Pre I got in the mail did not ship with a new battery. I had to take the batter from my old one and put it in my new one. The battery definitely fits tighter in the new one.

4. My center button is actually worse on my new phone. There is a little spacing between it and the body of the phone so a little light comes through. No big deal though.

5. I never had problems with the main screen on my old one and the new one looks good too.

My build date (if it is the same as "WarrantyDateCode" under ##786#) is 07/16/2009. It is not a reconditioned phone either. It did not come with WebOS 1.1 I had to update it. I think it was 1.0.3 or 1.0.4.

Overall I am happy with my new phone (especially because my old one was all scratched up). The customer service was rather poor. They just don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to the Pre. It sucks Palm doesn't make any software to sync it. It would be nice to have my text message and call logs back. Cheers and good luck if you have to get a replacement phone!
    Last edited by chafedbm; 08/05/2009 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Day Riffs View Post
    That's why I pay for the $7 a month insurance.
    Yea I have insurance too but I just want a new free one without paying the deductable
    I'm debating whether or not to swap out my Pre at Best Buy. Purchased 7/26, build date is 7/08.

It seemed fine at the store, other than the slider mechanism making a strange noise (like a very thin spring being scrunched together, which is probably what's actually happening ) if you slide it by pushing up from the bottom rather than placing your thumb in the middle of the screen and pushing up.

But I wasn't very knowledgeable of the build quality issues at the time of purchase, so I never checked it out thoroughly.

I believe I've been noticing the build quality is deteriorating, albeit slowly. I am noticing now that it will rotate about 1-2mm clockwise, and a tiny amount counter-clockwise.

I don't have any trouble with it moving while using gestures on the touchscreen, but it will rotate with a light click if I touch on the top or sides rather than the surface.

When I'm handling the phone in my hand while the slider is closed, I can feel the two halves shifting around a bit.

Also has one somewhat brighter LED, and about 5 stuck pixels.

Battery life is great though, speed seems fine, signal seems fine.

Now its 8/5, so I still have plenty of time for a swap. Kind of afraid I'll get a worse one though!
    My pre was purchased 7/31 at a sprint store with a build date of 7/17.

This thread made me inspect my pre throughyl and there is an ever so slight tiny spacing difference on the left side vs. the right side. So because of this there is also a VERY slight play if i TRY to wiggle it.

But when open its solid as a rock.

Other than that absolutely no hardware issues and nothing but happy with the thing.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast