Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I hate to tell you but most of the stuff you mentioned was only in a few batches. As for the snug not wobbling slider... Wait a couple weeks and it will start wobbling. I got my pre replaced about 2 weeks after I bought the original and mine now had about 12 dead pixels. When I picked it up it had NO wobble nor movement in the slider and now it does. I can see every week it gets wobblier and wobblier from use.

Post in a few weeks on how your phone is acting :P
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I hope that they are better as I am scared. We had one of our employees call Sprint about getting a new battery for each of our pre's because mine has the slider shutting screen down issue (though not as bad now that it has a dollar bill folded in my phone,) and Sprint is instead sending 3 new phones. I am not sure I want to give up my phone as the battery thing was really the only issue that I noticed and I am not sure why we are getting new phones instead of just batteries, but I hope that they are better quality. I am glad that I found this thread which eased my worries a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    I haven't had a chance to get a thorough look at the slider mechanism yet. As soon as I do, I will post whatever may/may not look different. Something is DEFINITELY different though. I'm still stunned by how solid the build of this Pre is. Props to Palm for addressing the build issues so thoroughly.
    Pictures please! (or highly detailed examination of the two shoes/rails, compare with this picture)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I wish I could have a Pre like yours to play with for a while. I finally got to try out the Pre while I was in Minneapolis (I live in Canada), and I must say, the hardware was underwhelming. I attribute some of that to the fact that it was a display model (slider was total crap), but I didn't have time to ask to try out a brand new one.

Now I'm a little unsure if it's worth waiting for the Pre here in Canada (except I couldn't get it on Bell, so an even longer wait than for others). I'm really torn between it and the BB Tour. The software on the Pre seems really nice, but it's lacking some refinement (lagginess here and there, especially delayed/choppy scrolling in the browser). Everything considered, I think it's the hardware that's really holding me back (and the keyboard was not very easy for me to use; I had to use my thumbnails to hit the keys. I don't have huge thumbs). I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to just leave Palm alone for 18 months or so, and revisit it then, to see if they've worked out the hardware issues, or released a new device.

Anyway, kind of off-topic. I hope you'll keep us updated with how the phone holds up over the next couple of weeks.
    I have big fingers and have no problem using the keyboard. I use my nails anyway. That helps alot. When I first bought mine I was worried to but now its great. The tours keyboard is not much better
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Actually, I felt much more at home on the Tour's keyboard (no fingernails, fast typing, few mistakes). But then again, I'm pretty good at adapting to most any phone (I used to use T9 exclusively until not too long ago).

It's just so hard to ignore the software potential of the Pre.

The other thing that concerns me with the Pre is the battery life. I don't spend a ton of time in one spot (student), so I wouldn't be able to charge it whenever I felt like it. Although I guess a spare battery would help that.

I guess the reason the decision is so hard is because I have absolutely no idea if I'll ever be in the position to own a Pre, with it coming out on Bell (which doesn't serve Manitoba), and with no release date announced.

Anyway, sorry again for the thread hijack.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    My volume indicator got stuck a week or so ago...maybe it'll happen again so I can get a new one, too...this scratch on my screen is making me insane
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I hate to tell you but most of the stuff you mentioned was only in a few batches. As for the snug not wobbling slider... Wait a couple weeks and it will start wobbling. I got my pre replaced about 2 weeks after I bought the original and mine now had about 12 dead pixels. When I picked it up it had NO wobble nor movement in the slider and now it does. I can see every week it gets wobblier and wobblier from use.

Post in a few weeks on how your phone is acting :P
    No worries either way. Afterall, I know how to *fix* a loose slider. I'm glad to know that the build issues were, as you say, "only in a few batches." And... for the record... my original Pre had play in the slider from day one. It became REALLY loose by day four. And after just 10 days the screen would skate all over the place, covering my power button, etc. Once I *fixed* it, it never did anything like that again. I've been opening and closing this new Pre all day -- still solid. This Pre feels nothing like my first one did from day one.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    @wordweaver

how was the packaging that your pre came in?

Was it a white/black box OEM? (non charger and battery)?

A colleague of mine is looking to get his replaced at Sprint repair store and its on "backordered" status.

--just wondering how they package those boxes.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    @wordweaver

how was the packaging that your pre came in?

Was it a white/black box OEM? (non charger and battery)?

A colleague of mine is looking to get his replaced at Sprint repair store and its on "backordered" status.

--just wondering how they package those boxes.
    No. Mine is brand new. Came in the white/yellow box. All accessories were in the box. The store Manager wouldn't let me keep the new charger and micro usb. But he did let me keep the battery from my old phone, headphones, and the new "sleeping bag" with the Palm logo on it. I'll use the little bag to carry the spare battery in
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    I would love to get one like you're speaking of. Mine is built on 7/1/09 and it's relatively solid especially compared to my first one that was built on the 7th of July. I don't know if the phones move fast enough at best buy for me to get one from a newer build unless I wait a week more or so. Hopefully I can bring mine back then and exchange it for a much newer build and hopefully one that has fixed all the issues.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    I'm jealous. I got mine a few weeks after launch and don't have insurance so I can't get a newer one. I think I can live with my wobble though since everything else is perfect.
    I exchanged my first Pre for Pre #2 free of charge. It's a brand new phone. My Sprint store had at least 25 boxes of new Pre phones in white boxes without any accessories that they ordered to change out for customers like me who were having problems.

My build/warranty date is 7/16 and it's not a reconditioned phone.

The build quality is like night and day compared to Pre #1: no oreo, slider is smooth, keyboard feels better too. The backlight is brighter, even with the screen brightness turned all the way down.

Pre #1 developed a crack started at the USB port and Sprint was more than happy to swap it out.

Now I'm almost certain the oreo problem will return eventually... the reason I say that is because every slider I've ever owned ended up having some type of issue... but at least this new Pre has no space/gap problem on the left side like the old phone and it doesn't move barely at all (yes if you force it, there's a slight - tiny give). It's definitely not experiencing the twist factor the old phone did, complete with click and severe movement.

If you're not happy with your current Pre -- EXCHANGE EXCHANGE EXCHANGE!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    thats great news cause I was thinking of just buying a new one straight up!, cause I'm past my 30 days and I already got a refurb for my first phone ( just wouldnt turn back on one day) and this one keeps turning off at random times! GGGRRRRR!! anyway I have been thinking of just buying a new one and seeing how the build quality is and from this it sounds good.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbras View Post
    Actually, I felt much more at home on the Tour's keyboard (no fingernails, fast typing, few mistakes). But then again, I'm pretty good at adapting to most any phone (I used to use T9 exclusively until not too long ago).

It's just so hard to ignore the software potential of the Pre.

The other thing that concerns me with the Pre is the battery life. I don't spend a ton of time in one spot (student), so I wouldn't be able to charge it whenever I felt like it. Although I guess a spare battery would help that.

I guess the reason the decision is so hard is because I have absolutely no idea if I'll ever be in the position to own a Pre, with it coming out on Bell (which doesn't serve Manitoba), and with no release date announced.

Anyway, sorry again for the thread hijack.
    I have a pre and girlfriend has the tour.

I have fat fingers, no long fingernails, and I type on the pre very quickly. Standard typos ayone would find when typing on a smartphone.

IMO I do not like the keyboard on the Tour. Yes the keyboard is bigger than that of the Pre, but the keys are shaped strangely on it.

BBs can not be beaten for what they do (messaging, emails), and if that's what you want in a phone and don't care about web browsing and multimedia, then go for the Tour.

But if you are looking for an experience that can not be found on any other smartphone, then I can assure you (shoddy build aside) you will want the Pre and will not be dissatisfied
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook_em View Post
    Standard typos ayone would find when typing on a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    I have big fingers and have no problem using the keyboard. I use my nails anyway. That helps alot. When I first bought mine I was worried to but now its great. The tours keyboard is not much better
    I have very fat thumbs. When I first got the pre I had to be very careful and use my nails on some keys.

Now 3 weeks later and I fly. I hardly even have to look as I type anymore. It's almost like the keyboard got bigger in the last 21 days. I'm way faster and more accurate on this keyboard than I ever was on my old instinct virtual, or any of the times I used someone else's iPhone.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    getting my first pre today (from ebay no less).... hope it's a good one!
    got my third a few days ago (build date is 7/01/09 and its like night and day no oreo great radio sig good batt life hats off to radio shack in rocky point ny and its great manager for seeing the problems and 2 pain less exchanges
    geez, i must have a wicked early build. My Warranty Date is 5/26. My slider is solid, no light leaks around the middle button, but I do have some light leak around the screen and the battery reset issue.

Not in a big rush to get it replaced, i just play nicely with it and all is well!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast