1.    #1  
    There has been some talk about MyTether, and its been done for a long time on WinMo devices, symbian, etc. But my question is, how does it actually work? I have tried searching google but I dont even know how to word my search to get the right result. Im just wondering how the WiFi is able to be reversed to broadcast instead of picking it up. Im sure theres a "how things work" type of web result but I cannot find it and I really want to know. The more you could tell me the better, or even direct me to a WIki or something. Its one of those things im dying to know! Is it the cellular radio that does it? How does it enable DHCP and such? OH the questions!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Basically it is forwarding services from your phone connection to the connection being used by the tethered device, using a DNS mask.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    You're Pre is basically turning itself into a wireless access point (just like your wireless router) and can allow other PCs to connect to it to share the cellular data connection. I think DHCP turns on. I've never used MyTether, but I assume its turned on.

Basically any WiFi device can be a host or a client or both. Out of the box, the Pre is just a client looking for hosts (WiFi access points) to use to connect to the internet but its fairly trivial to switch the Pre to a host and begin allowing clients to connect to it. When the laptop connects, the Pre can act as a router with EVDO network and allow anything connected to it to access the internet.

You can think of it like your Pre is turning into your standard wireless router at home, except instead of an ethernet cable going to your DSL or Cable modem, its using Sprint's EVDO connection instead.
    Alright, I'll take a stab at it. I've been using My Tether.
    The program disables some aspects of your Pre's existing network setup and starts some of its own, primarily to enable internet connection sharing. For WiFi tethering, it changes the mode on the wifi radio to adhoc. It's not a router precisely. Just a peer to peer network that shares an internet connection.

For Bluetooth, it's similar. The internet connection is still shared in the same way, but in this case it uses the built-in BT Personal Area Networking to establish IP connectivity between your computer and the Pre.

For USB, it's also similar, only in this case, USBnet must be enabled, which allows your computer to see the Pre as a networking device over USB. This again establishes IP connectivity between your computer and the Pre, and you can then use the shared internet connection.

So, My Tether does some very cool things, but it's mostly just enabling capabilities that are already there. It enables internet connection sharing, and it establishes IP connectivity between a computer and the Pre over adhoc WiFi, Bluetooth PAN (actually this is built-in), or USB.

It should be noted that all IP connections are necessarily two-way. So every WiFi card can both broadcast and receive. DHCP is just an application that runs on the Pre (actually in the Linux OS underneath the Pre's UI I believe).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I didn't even try to cover ad-hoc networks because I figured that the Pre stayed in infrastructure mode and just switched from client to host. That's interesting to note.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks to all that have replied! That was the part I didnt get. I didnt realize that every wifi card could broadcast and recieve. That being said, it must have a built in cellular radio as well, right? This would explain why something like an iPod touch could not achieve this? And in the same right, you could have a EVDO card from sprint, and also create and broadcast a wifi signal for others to use, but you first have to be connected to that card thru your computer? Sorry for all the questions , I just like to learn as much about things as I can!
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Yeah, the iPod touch couldn't do it because it only has one network interface, the WiFi.

And you are absolutely correct about the laptop thing. Much like tethering, that is technically against your terms of service, but it is possible.