1.    #1  
    I must say I only got the Pre because I was already with Sprint. All my friends have the iphone 3GS and I wanted one too but didnít want to go through the hassle of switching carrier's. So I decided to try and Pre and must say I have been pleasantly surprised! We have some capabilities that the Apple boys are lacking like the ability to send pictures through text and the textís using icons for smileys. The latest thing I have noticed which I was really surprised is that our camera totally wins. Check out these side by side pictures. One is with my friends iphone 3GS and one with my Pre. Iíll let the pics do the talking! Win Palm Pre! Now how about that app store, I want video recording!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the one on the right is PRE right?
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    This statement isn't meant to incite the anti-iPhone crowd or anything, but comparing the 3GS vs Pre cameras isn't fair because Palm simply didn't put much effort into providing a modern 2009 camera (autofocus/macro/better whitebalance) into our device. That doesn't mean the Pre can't take good pictures, it just means that the hardware limitations restrict it from being a fair comparison.

Andy Ihnatko's 3GS Camera Test

Hopefully nobody takes offense to pointing that out. The Pre camera WILL be updated at some point and one of the things we need to see next gen is a better camera. (And apps. Lots of apps because there are a lot of iPhone photography apps that may or may not be capable on WebOS)
    Last edited by Urkel; 08/03/2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    This statement isn't meant to incite the anti-iPhone crowd or anything, but comparing the 3GS vs Pre cameras isn't fair because the Pre simply didn't put much effort into providing a modern 2009 camera into our device. The 3GS has fairly good white balance correction and autofocus while the Pre camera is an outdated fixed lens where the pictures tend to give a purple hue. That doesn't mean the Pre can't take good pictures, it just means that the hardware limitations restrict it from competing with some of the newer 09 camera phones that are more feature rich.

Hopefully nobody takes offense to pointing that out. The Pre camera WILL be updated at some point and one of the things we need to see next gen is a better camera. (And apps. Lots of apps because there are a lot of iPhone photography apps that may or may not be capable on WebOS)

?????? What ??????

Did you happen to notice which camera did better in his example? I think you may have totally misread the original post.

My brother-in-law has the Iphone 3gs. Inside shot with good lighting, 3gs claims best camera. However, in outside shots, action or still, Pre camera kills the Iphone. Huge difference in color/clarity.

Forth of July parade, I was able to take a picture of my son waiving a flag. Caught the flag as if it wasn't moving. Shutter speed is better on Pre, and the colors are vibrant.
    For an outdated camera it sure takes good pictures!
    Yah, I have seen both in person. For the most part (most applications and most environments) the Pre camera kicks the IPhones in the rear hands down. Quality, focus, and lighting is just a step up for sure.

Downside is the Pre needs the ability to zoom. Have to get really close to take most pics, and this does not work in trying to take pics of wildlife...doh.
    It will come though.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 08/03/2009 at 02:40 PM.
  7.    #7  
    When you click on the photo I named the jpeg iphone for the iphone and pre for the pre (it will say in the lower left of the photo). To clear up any confusion the Pre is the one shot from more of an angle. It clearly has a sharper more colorful image in this instance. I’m not starting any bashing for any phone I was surprised how much better the Pre was considering all apple does is talk about how much better the camera is on the 3GS. This is the 3GS iphone and not the 3G to clear that up also.
  8.    #8  
    Oh and this is both phones out of the box hit the camera app and take the picture... Neither one of us messed with any settings or anything.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ?????? What ??????

Did you happen to notice which camera did better in his example? I think you may have totally misread the original post.
    If the point is that the Pre takes nice pictures then I'll agree, but this isn't a true comparison because the OP is displaying two photos from different angles where one isn't even in focus.

My brother-in-law has the Iphone 3gs. Inside shot with good lighting, 3gs claims best camera. However, in outside shots, action or still, Pre camera kills the Iphone. Huge difference in color/clarity.
    The Pre oversaturates colors to enhance vibrance but it also creates an inaccurate purple hue to the skies. There's a great thread on Precentral that has some fantastic photo examples that all exhibit this.

Anyway, I'll back out of this one because my original intention was to participate in a discussion and it seems this may be more about praising the palm camera.

Nice pic OP and happy shooting.
    Last edited by Urkel; 08/03/2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    If the point is that the Pre takes nice pictures then I'll agree, but this isn't a true comparison because the OP is displaying two photos from different angles where one isn't even in focus.

The Pre oversaturates colors to enhance vibrance but it also creates an inaccurate purple hue to the skies. There's a great thread on Precentral that has some fantastic photo examples that all exhibit this.

Anyway, I'll back out of this one because my original intention was to participate in a discussion and it seems this may be more about praising the palm camera.

Nice pic OP and happy shooting.
    I'm sorry. I certainly didn't mean to squash lively discussion. I do think that you have a point about the Pre's camera. The colors do seem to be oversatuarated, but I think that for most shots, that is a good thing. Phone pics tend to have a washed out feel to them. Lack of sharpness due to lack of color and definition. This is why I think in outdoor shots, you do get a much better pic with the Pre than the Iphone 3gs. However, enhanced color indoors tends to distort the picture and make it not look as good. I will attach a couple of photos to help prove my point.

In my initial post here, I did mention that I think the Pre's camera is lacking in certain areas, but does an admirable job otherwise.

Please keep posting. Discussion is good.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 08/03/2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I don't know...the Pre camera seemed to add clouds to the picture
    wow, the pre noticeably took a better picture in the OP! Much sharper and clear IMO....
    I love the Pre's camera as well, but in addition to the color issue I think it also over-sharpens at times in post-processing. Both of these issues, however, can be resolved in software, I think.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I love my pre's camera
    I'm sorry. I certainly didn't mean to squash lively discussion. I do think that you have a point about the Pre's camera. The colors do seem to be oversatuarated, but I think that for most shots, that is a good thing. Phone pics tend to have a washed out feel to them. Lack of sharpness due to lack of color and definition. This is why I think in outdoor shots, you do get a much better pic with the Pre than the Iphone 3gs. However, enhanced color indoors tends to distort the picture and make it not look as good. I will attach a couple of photos to help prove my point.

In my initial post here, I did mention that I think the Pre's camera is lacking in certain areas, but does an admirable job otherwise.

Please keep posting. Discussion is good.

i love the camaro...

.... oh ya and the pres camera too lol
    Quote Originally Posted by live001 View Post
    i love the camaro...

.... oh ya and the pres camera too lol
    I wish I could claim the Camaro. Was able to drive it around though.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 08/03/2009 at 05:25 PM.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gigaorg View Post
    I don't know...the Pre camera seemed to add clouds to the picture
    Lol, I'll get some more pics this weekend from the same angles for better comparison. In all fairness I have seen his 3GS take clearer pics than this one. But in this instance the Pre totally blew the 3GS away. Too funny, there are more clouds on the left in the Pre. Lol, I don't know whats that about I might have to bring a normal digital camera to compare also.
    FWIW, I recently dropped my Sprint Treo 700p in favor of an AT&T iPhone 3GS. The iPhone's camera was one of the things I was most excited about. The ability to adjust white balance by tapping on the subject on the screen is very cool. The ability to adjust depth-of-field is also very cool, but not something I've had need/desire to use much (other than to test it out). But I have to say that I've been monitoring the "Pre photos" thread here as well as the "iPhone 3GS photos" thread at tipb.com and I'm seeing a trend where the Pre photos, by and large, look better to me.

One culprit, I believe, is the iPhone's auto-focus capability. It's a huge advantage in theory, but I find when snapping photos that the mere act of tapping on the on-screen shutter button causes me to push the iPhone enough so as to cause the photo to be out of focus. This is a particularly big problem when attempting macro shots.

So, honestly, based on the sample photos I've been seeing, I kind of wish my iPhone 3GS had the pre's camera. I'd really like to see more direct comparison photos from anyone here who has access to both phones.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    This is the best article available on what's going on in the Pre's camera. It explains the sharpening effect that we're seeing (which is sometimes a little bit too much--I wish there were some adjustments to fiddle with). By the way, I don't think everything discussed in the article was implemented precisely as the article states. It's from January 09. Still a good read, though. From the article:
    Palm Pre uses the latest imaging correction software from DxO Labs. DxO is a leading player in the field of image analysis and correction. It is used and incorporated by all major photo brands like Cannon, Nikon, Sigma etc in their digital SLR cameras to do image processing and correction. DxO offers a number of different products including software post-processing packages, image quality analyser and, most important of all, embedded imaging solution which rests inside the device and does live processing of your beautiful shots.

DxO Labs made its name by taking any optics, analysing the image taken with it and correcting any defficiencies that it may have. For embedded solutions DxO offers 3 different products:

* The DxO IPE (Image Processing Engine) line of solutions combines the newest digital optics technology which supports low light lens designs, enhanced depth of field designs and low profile lens designs together with DSC class image processing performance for the best overall low light image performance available.
    * The DxO ISP (Image Signal Processing) line provides the DSC class image processing without the digital optics implementation
    * The DxO DOP (Digital Optics Processing) line provides the digital optics processing without the image processing functions

I believe it is the either the first or the second option that Palm has implemented. Now, about the actual technology behind Palm Pre camera.
    Palm Pre Camera - Going the Extra Mile | Palm webOS Blog
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    One thing I might mention here is that I find it easier to take
    stable indoor, low light photos with the pre because I can do it with
    the keyboard out, hold it with both hands and snap shots with
    the spacebar already under my thumb rather than a finicky
    touch to the screen which tends to move the phone.
    It also makes for simply a wider more stable base and
    easier to avoid getting your fingers in front of the lens
    with the keyboard out.

ian