Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am one of the people that has a problem with inaccurate time. Mine keeps gaining several seconds per hour. I just recently realized this and have had my pre since launch day. When you power down and restart or turn airplane mode on/off it will reset to correct time. The longer you go without doing so, the more ahead the clock gets.

Test: go to What time is it? and refresh paying attention to the minute and seconds to see if the time matches. I am considering returning my pre for a new one since correct time is important in my line of work.

Thanks a lot.

Darren
    Not to be mean, but if seconds over an hour are important for your work, you should use an actual timepiece and not rely on a cell phone. Even a high end PC will lose/gain time over a relatively short interval.
    I have a theory that I haven't been able to verify yet. I think GPS on or off may make a difference. You might try some different combinations of GPS on and off to see if it changes your time gain.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Insider Secret: Your phone's clock relies on data from your network. Assuming Sprint is on time, there still may be signal lag. You may not notice it but your clock will actually adjust its time throughout the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Not to be mean, but if seconds over an hour are important for your work, you should use an actual timepiece and not rely on a cell phone. Even a high end PC will lose/gain time over a relatively short interval.
    In the OP's defense, there are lots of jobs where a few minutes will make a difference, and far and away most cell phones can be relied on to be within a minute accuracy for sure.

The reason why PC clocks are not terribly accurate (anymore) is that they are using cheaper components with bigger tolerances since NTP is so common now. Your computer clock should be dead on most of the time because it is frequently sync'd to a time source. Our Pre should be the same way, and for some people, it isn't. If the clock is going to be displayed on the title bar in every single view, it ought to be accurate (to at least 1 minute).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post
    Insider Secret: Your phone's clock relies on data from your network. Assuming Sprint is on time, there still may be signal lag. You may not notice it but your clock will actually adjust its time throughout the day.
    Well, it COULD also get its time from GPS. My (pretty well unsubstantiated) theory is that the Pre picks either GPS or cell network for time source on boot, depending on whether GPS is available or not. If GPS is available and the Pre chooses to use it, then you turn off GPS, then the clock might drift. At least, that's a theory. I noticed time drift when I had GPS off for an extended period, but there may have been other factors. Obviously experimentation would take a number of resets and a good deal of time, which I've not spent. My time drift was not so significant that I could see it over an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    In the OP's defense, there are lots of jobs where a few minutes will make a difference, and far and away most cell phones can be relied on to be within a minute accuracy for sure.
    I wasn't disputing the OP's need for such accuracy, just suggesting that relying on a cell phone to be that accurate probably isn't the best way to go. I've seen the time on my Pre vary by as much as two minutes before syncing back to proper time.

Without being able to set the synching interval, the time on the device probably has at best +/- 5s accuracy to be safe.
  8.    #8  
    I have always used cell phone as time source without an issue. I work for an airline where every secon counts. I have never had a discrpency with aircraft acars out time on the sprint network. The pre is my first phone with time issues. It gains seconds approximatly 7 per hr. I just turned off the gps and rebooted phone to see if it helps. Anyone willing to check above mentioned site and test accuracy of time I would appreciate it. Please state if gps is on or off. Thanks
  9.    #9  
    Tried turning GPS off. Same problem.
  10.    #10  
    Can I ask anyone willing to check their PRE clock times minutes and seconds against the accuracy of this navy clock?
    I just tested it and it was exactly on time. Not a second soon or late. I have 3 bars of signal.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Dead nuts on. I barely have 1 bar if any right now. I just refreshed to see when the minute turned over and much to my surprise, if it was off, it was a fraction of a second.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csrredcoat View Post
    I am considering returning my pre for a new one since correct time is important in my line of work.

Thanks a lot.

Darren
    Are you going to get a new network too?

Do you have the time set to Network Time "on" in "Date and Time"?
    Last edited by JKTex; 08/07/2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: forgot a smiley 'cause I was being funny :o)
  14.    #14  
    Thanks a lot for checking. I may return mine. It's been perfect other than this one annoying issue.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    Are you going to get a new network too?

Do you have the time set to Network Time "on" in "Date and Time"?
    Yes, I do have it set to network time. I think it's a defect in my pre. A friend from work has one and we compared and his is spot on....mine gains several seconds per hr until I reboot phone..then it syncs perfect..but then keeps gaining.

Every once in a while it will be 100% accurate...but that is rare.
    Mine was pretty much dead on. Phones been on for around 24 hours straight.
    If it is really a problem then try using WebOS doctor.
    My girlfriends has been off since day one. More than a couple seconds an hour though. Mine currently reads 8:54 while hers reads 9:03. Took hers in to the Sprint store (battery dying in half a day) and they said it was not a known issue and they couldn't do anything about it.

We were in the airport Sunday hers was off by over a half hour, causing her to think she was late for a flight.
    I don't know what's up with this. Mine is right now 12 seconds fast. I just rebooted this afternoon, around 4pm, so it's been about 6 hours. I'm not worried about 12 seconds if that's all it ever is, but it seems like it should be correct. My methodology is to hit the refresh button on that what time is it site as soon as the clock in the title bar changes. I really wish I had "time" to do some more good experiments.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    35 seconds fast and I haven't rebooted since last night.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast